Join Today

Thread: Help needed

This user has no status
    Thanks

Thumbs down Help needed

Morning all

Just went out to start my 94 850 and wellll it didnt start.
    She turns over fine on the battery...but doesnt start.
    It hapened the other day also when i ran a bit low on petrol (warning light hadnt come on yet though) and i parked the car on a hill facing up.
    Lifted the bonnet poked about, but didnt do anything...tried the ignition again and she started.
    This morning however the fuel warning light is on...and have tried starting 10 + times with no luck.Car is facing up again.
    I also nipped up the local petrol station in the wifes car and put another £5 in a jerry can....still no luck.
    Just recently the engine warning light came on (was planning on getting it checked this week) and she seems to drive a bit odd.
    She is fine on accelerating..but when cruising can feel like its hesitating.

Help please.

Brad
    94 850 T5 Estate (manual)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    no expert mate, but sounds like a fueling prob....dirty filter, if you are running it low you may have dragged ££££ through the line and be suffering from crap in the injectors or i could be a million miles away poor fueling will give strange results on the air meter which could account for the hesitation at crusing speed.

hopfully a real mechanic will come long soon to put the record straight.
    Well seduce my ancient maritime footwear

This user has no status

Thanks

Thumbs up a tin of easy start.

Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier
    no expert mate, but sounds like a fueling prob....dirty filter, if you are running it low you may have dragged ££££ through the line and be suffering from crap in the injectors or i could be a million miles away poor fueling will give strange results on the air meter which could account for the hesitation at crusing speed.

hopfully a real mechanic will come long soon to put the record straight.

you could try squirtor to down the air it take and if you get a cough thee youel no

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Do they still sell Easy Start?

I haven't seen this product for ages but I was told that its' use was not recommended as it accelerates bore wear, basically raw ether that breaks down oil.

OK in an emergency I suppose.
    Martin

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"

280 RICA
    ITG Panel filter
    Volvo strut brace

This user has no status

Thanks

Smile any carb cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Martinr
    Do they still sell Easy Start?

I haven't seen this product for ages but I was told that its' use was not recommended as it accelerates bore wear, basically raw ether that breaks down oil.

OK in an emergency I suppose.
    let it turn over then give it to it

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Definately sounds like a fueling problem. Do the obvious first.

Check fault codes.

Then check spark to cylinder

Then check petrol to cylinder

Then replace fuel filter

Don't let it run so low on petrol (never good especially in older cars)

Don't mess around with ezze start. The car is not working for a reason it's just a matter of fault finding.

if none of that works go to a garage.
    1995 850 T5, Auto

MODS
    17" tethys
    BSR Induction kit
    Reverse IC
    Strutt brace
    Poly topmount
    Poly LCA bushes
    302mm Brake conversion
    Braided hoses

This user has no status
    Thanks
    easy start can shatter piston rings. not worth the risk

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I am hopefully a bit closer to finding out what the problem is.
    Last night i did a self diagnosis using the directions that Bracer had put on the Knowledge forum (excellent bit of info), and it came back with fault codes:-
    3-1-4 (camshaft position sensor signal missing or defective)
    and
    2-3-2 (long term fuel mixture too lean or rich at idle)
    So tonight i plan to take the cam sensor off and clean it to see if it makes any difference...if not, does anyone know if the sensor is the same throughout the Volvo range, or is there a specific sensor for the T5 lump? as i know that there are a few non turbo 850s at a local scrappy.

This user has no status

Thanks

Exclamation easy start

Quote Originally Posted by fireclown
    easy start can shatter piston rings. not worth the risk
    nearly every aa. rac. vans have it.

This user has no status
    Thanks

no go

hi
    its possible you have a crank angle sensor faulting but have you tried wiggling the key in the ignition when you crank it as volvo do have problems with ignition barrels,when you turn the key it doesnt make full contact inside the barrel & it only powers up some of the car electrics,
    if it doesnt power everything up as it should do then half the electronics isnt working,thus not telling some component to start or switch or turn on etc etc,
    hope this mite help,

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrees
    nearly every aa. rac. vans have it.
    thet probly do. and they surely must know the risks as well as any other competnent mechanic. it can trash your engine. i have seen it. belive me.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorry this is a day or so late, didn't spot your cam sensor query. I did mine recently and still have the old one so can give you some numbers to compare, also never realised that they are a bosch part. Volvo part no. 9 145 108(cast into surface) also what could be the bosch part no. 0 232 101030. At £120 from a stealer scrappy has to be worth a chance.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well i got her started....
    I tried the key wiggle trick and she fired up first time.....sounded a bit rough though, so opened up the airbox , removed the filter then lightly sprayed carb cleaner into the intake. Car immediately sounded better, and quite a lot of black gunk came out the exhaust.
    How cool does the car sound without the airfilter ....... The recirc valve sounded lovely.Would i get this sound all the time if i drilled the bottom of the airbox??
    Anyway i put everything back together and she is running fine again.

I still need to take the Cam sensor off as i couldnt budge it over the weekend....its welded iteself to the block!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I would leave the cam sensor where it is seeing you've got it running, the sensors are a go/no go thing usually.

This user has no status

Thanks
    as for the sound of the recirc valve - put 30 10mm holes in the bottom and and youl hear it loud every time you back off the gass

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fireclown
    thet probly do. and they surely must know the risks as well as any other competnent mechanic. it can trash your engine. i have seen it. belive me.
    Yes we do know the risks (AA) and can assure you that we only use as a last resort. Mainly for diesels as some you cant get to injectors easily. Try not to use it on petrols as it can do damage, but very rarely. If it was that harmful to engines we would not be allowed to carry it.

As with any non start vehicle start with the basics, dont assume the worse!
    ie have you got a spark?? if so this rules out crank and camshaft sensors also ECU fault, modules.
    next: are the injectors switching?? you will need a noid light or LED test light for this test. On the 850 the fuel pump and associated relay will be illiminated and again ECU. Its a methodical process of diagnosis that any good technician/mechanic will do to establish the route cause of the car not starting....also not forgetting basics like battery voltage, connections and the ignition key!! Most cars now have a transponder chip that talks to the transponder ring around the ignition barrel. (Any vauxhall owners will know what i mean )

Really you must have the knowledge or literature or a good mechanic m8 to be able to confidently identify the fault. Sounds to me like bradders non start Volvo could do it again.

Good luck. Ps sorry its a bit long but those in the know will know!!

BTW the black smoke from exhaust was all that unburnt fuel being injected into engine every time you were cranking over. Pull the fuel pump fuse next time to clear it out and regain lost compression due to borewash.
    ....And of course the engine will pick up when carb cleaner is squirted into air intake...ITS HIGHLY FLAMMABLE!!
    Last edited by LeeT5; Friday 11th November 2005 at 10:20.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information