Join Today
    VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts

Help!!!! Fan switch.

Ok how many fan switches does the 850 T5 engine have? When I was sitting in traffic at TRAX I noticed that my temp gauge when north, and my fan didn't cut in, I have had thermostat replaced with the sensor thingy underneath and I brought a new relay from Volvo today (robbing Barstewards) but the fan is still not cutting in, if you put a direct feed to the fan it works perfectly.... So suggestions before it goes for filming in Thursday!

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    have you tried the engine temp sensor. sorry not much help. not very clued up on these
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

3. The Following User Says Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

Nealevo (Friday 13th September 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Check to make sure the pipes are hot because if you have done all that then the fan should work .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

Owner of Project VolVaxo

Thanks
    when I disconnect the sensor on the thermostat my fans kick in. as far as im aware the ecu controls the fans low and high speeds via temp if that helps lol oh,and mine takes about 25-30 mins on tick over before they come in
    Last edited by hybriduno; Friday 13th September 2013 at 19:03.
    4.4 motronic ecu. ostrich emulation chip. boost sensors+ wideband inbuilt to the ecu. 650cc injectors. hybrid GT28 turbo. custom 5 branch manifold. Large side mount intercooler. pipercross custom airfilter. no cat. no back boxes >< All in a saxo
    Follow the volvaxo project on facebook @ > http://www.facebook.com/groups/volvaxo/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hybriduno For This Useful Post:

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Is the fan controlled by the temp sensor, or the ECU? If it's from the sensor then stick 12V on the fan side, to make sure there's no break between the sensor, and fan. If it's controlled by the ECU, then don't do that as the ECU won't like 12V sent straight through it. (A mistake I made on a Mondeo I had)

Edit: Looks like Adam's just answered my question.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

Owner of Project VolVaxo

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Is the fan controlled by the temp sensor, or the ECU? If it's from the sensor then stick 12V on the fan side, to make sure there's no break between the sensor, and fan. If it's controlled by the ECU, then don't do that as the ECU won't like 12V sent straight through it. (A mistake I made on a Mondeo I had)

Edit: Looks like Adam's just answered my question.
    the fans are controlled via 2 switching earths one for low fan spin and one for high fan spin , I have put switches on the volvaxo to both that earth out so I can have fast or slow fan speeds
    4.4 motronic ecu. ostrich emulation chip. boost sensors+ wideband inbuilt to the ecu. 650cc injectors. hybrid GT28 turbo. custom 5 branch manifold. Large side mount intercooler. pipercross custom airfilter. no cat. no back boxes >< All in a saxo
    Follow the volvaxo project on facebook @ > http://www.facebook.com/groups/volvaxo/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hybriduno For This Useful Post:

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    The fan is powered by the green wire which has a fusable link within the loom. it feeds a constant 12v supply to one side of the relay, when the temp sedor get the signal to the ecu the fan starts. Sounds like you fuseable link is well fused lol.

Run a 12v supply to the relay from the battery mate and it will sort it out. I had exactly this in traffic in london. Hope this helps

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

Nealevo (Saturday 14th September 2013),stribo (Friday 13th September 2013)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hybriduno View Post
    the fans are controlled via 2 switching earths one for low fan spin and one for high fan spin , I have put switches on the volvaxo to both that earth out so I can have fast or slow fan speeds
    correct, there are 2 yellow wires (1 with a white stripe) on the fan control relay. Earthing these will bring the fan on, 1 is high speed the other the lower

15. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

Overall VPCUK car of the year
    Thanks
    when i had a remapped ecu in my last t5, that wouldn't work the fan but when i stuck the standard one back in it worked fine, it turned out to be some of the female prongs not touchin the ecu if that helps too...

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    The fan is powered by the green wire which has a fusable link within the loom. it feeds a constant 12v supply to one side of the relay, when the temp sedor get the signal to the ecu the fan starts. Sounds like you fuseable link is well fused lol.

Run a 12v supply to the relay from the battery mate and it will sort it out. I had exactly this in traffic in london. Hope this helps
    All sorted, thanks Gav xx

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Good news there,so it's back to giving it a quick once over then put away till Thursday.
    Do they know what your day job is ?,you never know they might have some other toys you could have a play while they use yours.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    I generally have the opposite happen, the fan will stay on quite a bit.....but then I do drive 'on the edge' most of the time lol

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    I generally have the opposite happen, the fan will stay on quite a bit.....but then I do drive 'on the edge' most of the time lol
    Things change at speeds above 39mph ,like the air is pushed through the radiator so it doesn't need to sucked through by fans which take bhp away from the engine.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

Nealevo (Saturday 14th September 2013),stribo (Saturday 14th September 2013)

Thread Information