Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts

Question 850R Alternator Smoking Advice Please

The alternator is smoking on my 850R! So it probably needs replacing at a wild guess. Staggeringly, a Bosch replacement on Ebay seems to run at around £500!!!
    So what are the replacement options?

The part number on it is (I think) 9162633 - it's a 100amp on an R (which is of course a 1996).

So does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement (or risking a s/h part?), and how much labour is involved in replacing it?

Cheers in advance.

Phil.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    'Ello stranger.

Best get that sorted asap before you end up with a crispy R!

There's a company JamesT5 found that do remanufactured alternators and give you money for your old one too. Pretty cheap IIRC.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Tuesday 3rd September 2013)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Hi Phil, i have a s/h one if you wanna make me a offer. postage will abit as its quite heavy, unless you wanna meet up halfway or summit at the wkend? sat afternoon or sunday.

I can also get you a price on a new unit and let you know tomorrow. and it wont be anywhere near £500

As for money back for your old unit, yes this is true if the unit you are buying is recon, some are new and dont have a surcharge

5. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I think it would be a very good idea to Disconnect the battery ASAP.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Tuesday 3rd September 2013),merc85 (Tuesday 3rd September 2013)

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Yes, disconnecting battery a very good idea...
    Ironically I was up near Harwich the other day - but am car-less at the moment so short of cycling, I may be looking at postage!
    Aside from disconnecting the power steering stuff, how difficult is it as a DIY proposition? I'm a pretty competent spanner wielder!
    Once upon a time it was so easy to get an over the counter alternator....
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanks Martin,
    Yes, I'm preoccupied with other stuff at the moment sadly, so the R is being maintained rather than cosseted, but I still love it...
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    'Ello stranger.

Best get that sorted asap before you end up with a crispy R!

There's a company JamesT5 found that do remanufactured alternators and give you money for your old one too. Pretty cheap IIRC.
    KISS Rs

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Ive never fitted one when the engine is still in the car, be easier with inlet off. Ive got to suppliers in London, If you want me to get a price on a new one tomorrrow you could pay me over the phone and collect it from them, One is in Wembley, the other is Barking. or if you know anyone down this way ie southend or basildon i dont mind dropping a 2nd hand one off to them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    Ive never fitted one when the engine is still in the car, be easier with inlet off. Ive got to suppliers in London, If you want me to get a price on a new one tomorrrow you could pay me over the phone and collect it from them, One is in Wembley, the other is Barking. or if you know anyone down this way ie southend or basildon i dont mind dropping a 2nd hand one off to them.
    That's really helpful. If I can get an easy local sort out I will, but PM me with a price - I'm sure it will be a good one. And I'm OK to pay carriage - it shouldn't be too horrendous. But as I say, I will see if there is any local possibility.
    KISS Rs

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Part number is 9162683 not as above
    KISS Rs

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    That's really helpful. If I can get an easy local sort out I will, but PM me with a price - I'm sure it will be a good one. And I'm OK to pay carriage - it shouldn't be too horrendous. But as I say, I will see if there is any local possibility.
    Completely understand will pm you tomorrow phil no probs.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Hi Phil long time no see hope the family is well,

It's a bit of a bitch to change there is 1 bolt thats a pita to get to but it can be done i used about 3 long extensions to get to it across the front of the inlet mani, im sure you will be fine but the swear box will get filled a little

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanks James,
    Well, things are changing a bit shall we say, but family is OK. Oh the thought of a bolt like that is enough for me to get someone else to do it...! Arghhhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamest5r View Post
    Hi Phil long time no see hope the family is well,

It's a bit of a bitch to change there is 1 bolt thats a pita to get to but it can be done i used about 3 long extensions to get to it across the front of the inlet mani, im sure you will be fine but the swear box will get filled a little
    KISS Rs

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    JamesT5 did a guide to changing it on a P2. can't see it being a massive difference to an 850.
    Good luck, i gave up on my P1 and it ended up getting a garage to do it.

£500 seems a bit steep for a new one, daft question but have you rung stealers?
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jdavis For This Useful Post:

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    I think I will get someone to do it - I'm just too busy at the moment. I will give Simon a ring - although I have a feeling that if Volvo can charge £45 for a driveshaft gaiter, that an alternator is going to be somewhat stiffer...
    Yes, I saw James' thread - I think its the issue with the manifold that puts me off. Mind you, I could do the goop pot at the same time if I got the manifold off...
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
    JamesT5 did a guide to changing it on a P2. can't see it being a massive difference to an 850.
    Good luck, i gave up on my P1 and it ended up getting a garage to do it.

£500 seems a bit steep for a new one, daft question but have you rung stealers?
    KISS Rs

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Rufe wants £248.13 for an alternator delivered with exchange as £65 surcharge. Another company are saying £125 + exchange with 18 month warranty. Another new item from someone else, £116 delivered on a 12 month warranty with no exchange.
    Choices, decisions. Do I want to pay someone to fit one twice if it goes wrong? That'll make up any price saving on the Volvo item - but then again, the Volvo item may not last... Who knows???
    KISS Rs

Thanks
    Why not fit it yourself Phil? and the 18 month warranty sounds good to me.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    It doesn't sound a bad price with the warranty - but I think the fit would drive me mad with that awkward bolt. What sort of time do you reckon I should allow for the job? Not sure if I should replace drive belt at same time and all that. And then get into thinking, well, if I'm taking all that stuff off, why not do the cam belt, water pump...ya de yah, you know how it is! Arghhhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Why not fit it yourself Phil? and the 18 month warranty sounds good to me.
    KISS Rs

Thanks
    Doubt it's a long job, hour or two, I'd do the aux belt but if the cam belt isn't due, I'd leave it well alone

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

26. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Wednesday 4th September 2013)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    you have pm phil

28. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Wednesday 4th September 2013)

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanks Gav,
    I've sent you a reply. Give me a call around Noon (number on PM) if you can, and we'll go with that. Sounds a fair deal.
    Cheers,
    Phil.
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    you have pm phil
    KISS Rs

Thread Information