Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd tyre wear

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Odd tyre wear

Ok, so my 2 front tyres are the same age and the car has always been 4 wheel aligned everytime I've fiddled with the steering in anyway. Also, as some of you are aware the car has a nasty habit of pulling or drifting fairly quickly to the left despite the wheels being tracked and laser aligned and the wheel being dead centre on a straight road. Also the tyre pressures are even, so there's some basic facts first.

Right then, here is the issue. I can't work out why my nearside front tyre is now sitting on the tread markers yet my off side front tyres still has about 3mm left on it and I'm wondering whether the drifting to the left is linked to the problem in some way, given it is the left front tyre that is worn more.

I can also rule out brake issues or suspension wear although my front wishbone bushes are already coming away from the casing (12 months on a pair of wishbones!).

Two theories I have are a worn driveshaft or a wheel bearing which is causing resistance on the nearside and therefore that wheel is spinning slightly slower than the offside and causing excessive tyre wear. Some will recall I had a new offside drive shaft last year, the nearside is the one that was on the car when I brought it.

Anyone had this issue or got any better ideas?

Thanks in advance!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Incorrect camber will cause uneven tyre wear and also can cause drifting/pulling to one side. The camber on the 850's is set by moving the hub carrier in relation to the front strut (slackening the 2 bolts) and the camber setting will be lost if the shock or springs replaced. Not sure if the p2's have a similar set up. Oh one other thing, you will always wear out the N/S/F tyre quicker then the O/S as you turn right more often !
    Last edited by nobananas; Thursday 22nd August 2013 at 22:48.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Thursday 22nd August 2013)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nobananas View Post
    Incorrect camber will cause uneven tyre wear and also can cause drifting/pulling to one side. The camber on the 850's is set by moving the hub carrier in relation to the front strut (slackening the 2 bolts) and the camber setting will be lost if the shock or springs replaced. Not sure if the p2's have a similar set up. Oh one other thing, you will always wear out the N/S/F tyre quicker then the O/S as you turn right more often !
    Camber on the front is dead on, the 4 wheel alignment shows I have negative rear camber but the front is smack on dead centre.

Still can't work out why the car is drifting so much to the left no matter how often I have my 4 point alignment carried out. The garage can't find any reason for it either and I've never experienced this much left hand drift on any other car I've driven. Very weird and frustrating!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Are you sure the 4 wheel alignment shows camber, most only measure front and rear track alignment.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Are you sure the 4 wheel alignment shows camber, most only measure front and rear track alignment.
    Definitely shows camber mate.

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    Sounds like a dodgy caliper to me
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Only on earlier 850's with camber adjusters... Mine doesn't have that.

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    There's enough "slop" when bolting the stub axle to the shock on a P2 to be able to adjust the camber by quite a bit - that's why my wheels don't rub on full lock now
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JUDGENINJA View Post
    Only on earlier 850's with camber adjusters... Mine doesn't have that.
    Both my T5 and the R are like that and they are both 96-97 cars. We're not talking eccentric adjusters or anything just that the two mounting bolts holding the strut to the hub are smaller than the holes so there is some movement, that's where the camber adjustment lies within that movement. Most people just bolt the strut back up oblivious to the fact that they've lost the camber setting.

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Strange............

Is the wear even all over the width of the tyre? If it was some sort of geometry issue, I would have thought that you would have a band of wear around the inner or outer edge. Is your spring OK?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to silverhorse For This Useful Post:

partsforvolvos.com (Monday 2nd September 2013)

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
    Sounds like a dodgy caliper to me
    Possibility, but you would know as the brakes and wheel would be very very hot and you would feel it straight away. Had it on my Shogun and you could get a sun tan off the heat!

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post
    Strange............

Is the wear even all over the width of the tyre? If it was some sort of geometry issue, I would have thought that you would have a band of wear around the inner or outer edge. Is your spring OK?
    Yeah, the wear is pretty even.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post
    Possibility, but you would know as the brakes and wheel would be very very hot and you would feel it straight away. Had it on my Shogun and you could get a sun tan off the heat!
    The calipers are nearly new, the oldest one is only a year old and to be honest having had a stuck caliper before I know how that feels so I can rule it out. Also, when I had the wheels off last week I could tell the brakes look ok and not overheated.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    do you have a lot of roundabouts in your area? When I owned a tyre company, it was very common for cars from Telford to have the nearside front wear early and take out the outside edge of the tyre.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

17. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Friday 23rd August 2013)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    do you have a lot of roundabouts in your area? When I owned a tyre company, it was very common for cars from Telford to have the nearside front wear early and take out the outside edge of the tyre.
    There are some roundabouts here but not that many, I'd say there is 1 I use every day to and from work and another the other side of town I use sometimes.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The N/S/F tyre on my 850 always wears out faster then the other side, usually it's on the wear bars when the other side got a good 3mm on it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Saturday 24th August 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I haven't visited here for sometime, but just popped on for a quick mooch!

I have a similar issue here but minus the tyre wear! My '04 S60 D5 has always pulled to the left, mainly at motorway speeds. The 4 wheel alignment is always kept on top of but about 3 weeks ago my fiancé clouted a curb while turning round. I went to get the alignment checked (Hunter machine) and they found that the NSF ball joint was COMPLETELY goosed! I was pleased they'd picked up on this as I thought that may cure the pulling to the left.

I got it changed for a genuine Volvo part by RT and returned to DTS for alignment. To my surprise, this had no noticeable effect at all! Car still pulled quite significantly left. So much so, that on a trip to Norfolk from Portsmouth, the constant having to correct my course became quite fatiguing!

Yesterday, I took the car back to DTS to get them to double check the alignment. They found the OSR to have LOADS of toe in! How could that be so when the 1st print out clearly shows it to be in spec after adjustment???

Anyway, the car feels a lot better now, but it still doesn't feel right to me. Is there anything else I could check, or is it just a characteristic of these P2 cars that they pull left??
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Modified C70 T5 GT - Sold
    Modified S70R - Sold

Now all sensible with an S60 D5 - Stock
    ...for now! Must.Resist.Any.Mods!!! Oooh...RICA!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Here are my printouts:

The day after the ball joint was replaced-

Then 2.5 weeks and 800 odd miles later I get it rechecked, look what's happened to the OSR toe!-

Any ideas?

Edit- Probably worth noting that all tyre pressures are bang on and tyres are Hankook K110 V12 Evos all round. Rears are pretty new, fronts are about 50% worn. Is it feesable that that fronts are out of shape from running with a buggered ball joint?
    Last edited by S1mon; Sunday 1st September 2013 at 21:39.
    Modified S70R - Sold

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    the measurements can be different if you take the kit off then put it straight back on- we are talking 60th of 1' .......

i would say by the problem you describe the second one is correct because if it is out by this much on the rear, it could effectively push the car to the side at the front.

even if you had lowered the car and could not get it within tolerance, making sure it is as close as it can be and even both sides stops it pulling.

the major factor nobody mentioned above, is that p2's are VERY prone to following the camber of the road and it gets worse the larger your tyres are. since even road has a camber (normally to the kerb side)
    is the 'pulling' you are describing really the car 'drifting' over with the camber.
    once you get up to 17's and 18's particularly you then bring in their tendency to also start tramlining like anything.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok, mine is on standard suspension with standard 17" wheels. Tyres are 225/45 17.

As I said, after the latest alignment, it's certainly a lot better. What your essentially saying then is as I originally suspected, it's a natural characteristic if these cars to be over sensitive to road camber and I should stop chasing a phantom problem??
    Modified S70R - Sold

Thread Information