Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks

my daily/project s40 t4 clean slate

so as ive already introduced myself, i thought maybe i should start a build thread. ill will update it as much as possible and be open to as much advice and opinions available.
    its a 1998 model before i start
    the first little touch ive done so far the to s40 ( for a whole £10! ) is a genuine hks green air filter. are these any good for these engines? it seems to pull great if not a slighty bit more with it, but obviously not fully benefited untill other work and remap.

windows will be tinted next week so shall post a picture when the cars has been treated to a "bath"

a few questions;

is a back box delete worth it? i know people say different.
    are they too stiff on coil overs? just budgets off ebay...
    and what sort of fuel consumption would i get from a sport cat 200 cell ( also ebay )

on a tight budget right now, so its cheap only parts untill the pennies come, but any gains better than none. i plans to remap after some subtle modifications as it makes sense to do them instead of remap, do them just to have to remap again. thanks guys

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Good luck with the car mate and keep us updated on stuff you do to it.

My only concern is cheap parts don't seem to last and it can be false economy. I had some 'cheap' ball joints on my T5 back in December 2012, when MRP and I checked them about 3 weeks ago they were totally knackered. OE or Uprated parts are recommended, I know they cost more initially but they will last longer.

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    Little update on the vulva magnet
    I found out I'm missing my v band.. And as worryingly gay as it sounds, it's one band every turbo needs. For those who don't know, it holds the exhaust turbine to the main housing on the turbo :p anyway
    Got new maf, had a resistor in -.- so getting a euro car parts one which cost £111 next day delivery, not bad. And also got the new spoiler mocked and fitted Name:  image.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  1.53 MB

I honk it flows really well with some of the sharp lines on the car and matches the boot shut pretty damn well to.

Name:  image.jpg
Size:  1.65 MB

It's a toyota celica spoiler which I'm sure (fingers crossed) is a one off done fitment, uniqueness at its best very happy with will look better when the cars lowered and facelift front. Windows are done except the back but all in good time, more to come!

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Welcome to the forum mate, Spolier will look good once painted, But id certainly concetrate getting that V band fitted on the turbo, You deffo dont want that to seperate, could get messy lol.

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    Yeah I know mate know anywhere/anyone with one? And thanks!

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    Little detail work, got rid of the old man wood effect lol, just satin black. Name:  image.jpg
Size:  1.70 MB

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Interesting to see another interior. That will be the fourth different variant I've seen. I have the option of black or silver pieces.

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JUDGENINJA View Post
    Interesting to see another interior. That will be the fourth different variant I've seen. I have the option of black or silver pieces.

It looks abit naff in picture but it's not bad, I was thinking silver, but black was available lol

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    * interior update *
    As the pattern has followed I'm getting the cheaper stuff done first. Today ie progressed pretty well! I got a reverse sensor kit which works well, and installed led fog light bulbs as I'm going to wire into ignition and use as drls with will still run to the fog if I want them off in the future. Also done a bulb chane on the dash... And I'm very impressed with it! Looks a lot more modern!
Size:  1.09 MB

Also got boost gauge in
Size:  1.45 MB

And this is now the view I get..
Size:  1.36 MB

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Nice pics

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Good job you've done there.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Been busy I see..

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by s40t View Post
    are they too stiff on coil overs? just budgets off ebay...
    Nice and flat through corners.

Not very nice for a trip to the beach with the mates.

Not brilliant on a re-mapped car for getting the power down.

I'd like to change mine for Plod spec.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Loadsamiles For This Useful Post:

s40t (Sunday 27th April 2014)

13psi @ 159mph
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loadsamiles View Post
    Nice and flat through corners.

Not very nice for a trip to the beach with the mates.

Not brilliant on a re-mapped car for getting the power down.

I'd like to change mine for Plod spec.
    thanks for that info, ill probably go ahead as i want her low, how low does it sit?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It sits at whatever height you set it at.

The e-bay curly-wurly coil overs are height adjustable.

Just avoid bumps in the road or you'll have a big dentist bill.
    S40 T4 with the Dr map - V70R Phase II 2.4

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It sits at whatever height you set it at.

The e-bay curly-wurly coil overs are height adjustable.

Just avoid bumps in the road or you'll have a big dentist bill.
    LOL @ Dentist bill

If you get FK's or any of the budget coilovers the front springs are far too soft and almost bottom out when the car is sitting still on the drive! You need to replace the springs for stiffer ones to stop them bottoming out. I have just removed my coilovers as the droplink bracket snapped off and the horrendous noises. You get what you pay for. I am throwing them in the bin later as I've fitted H&R springs, expensive but top quality. It looked better on the coilovers as it was nice and low but I got sick of the knocking noises, clunks and bangs. The ride is 100x better on the H&R's although the back end is a little high but I can live with that.

I have removed and refitted the FK's 4 times in total and also let a garage look at them. They were installed correctly but the noises wouldn't go away. They also destroyed genuine Volvo new top mounts in 4000miles which cost me a small fortune.

If I add the price of new top mounts, garage time, new coilover springs and my own time, I probably could have had a set of quality £600 coilovers.

I have a set of coilover springs for sale suitable to mod the FK's to stop them bottoming if you do decide on budget coilovers.
    Last edited by mitchyboy01; Tuesday 29th April 2014 at 12:23.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Welcome along, enjoy the banter and knowledge, i personally wouldn't use the cheap pro sport coilovers, i had them fitted and they lasted approx 50 miles as the ride was horrendous, it was bordering on comical, if you have a tight budget and your shocks are of a decent state, then just buy some lowering springs, but buy a quality set as again you get what you pay for.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post
    LOL @ Dentist bill

If you get FK's or any of the budget coilovers the front springs are far too soft and almost bottom out when the car is sitting still on the drive! You need to replace the springs for stiffer ones to stop them bottoming out. I have just removed my coilovers as the droplink bracket snapped off and the horrendous noises. You get what you pay for. I am throwing them in the bin later as I've fitted H&R springs, expensive but top quality. It looked better on the coilovers as it was nice and low but I got sick of the knocking noises, clunks and bangs. The ride is 100x better on the H&R's although the back end is a little high but I can live with that.

I have removed and refitted the FK's 4 times in total and also let a garage look at them. They were installed correctly but the noises wouldn't go away. They also destroyed genuine Volvo new top mounts in 4000miles which cost me a small fortune.

If I add the price of new top mounts, garage time, new coilover springs and my own time, I probably could have had a set of quality £600 coilovers.

I have a set of coilover springs for sale suitable to mod the FK's to stop them bottoming if you do decide on budget coilovers.
    Looks like you've been down the road that I'm down. Sounds very very familiar.

I can put up with it for now, as the T4 is a second car, just for pottering about, but if there is one thing to do to it getting rid of the fleabay coilovers is high on the list.

It's useless in the rain, it has a "Doc" map on it and setting off I just end up with too much tramping with the soft springs and end up spinning the wheels going nowhere (Tyres Toyo Proxes)

I got the car for a good price from a trusted source and had even used it for 4 weeks before I bought it, so I knew what I was letting myself in for. I love the way it goes with the re-map in the dry, it's great, but the shocks are rather unpleasant. The bottoming seems to be often, but driver's front side only, probably because it's heavier (engine and driver on that side)

If I replace the suspension I think Nivomat rear and diesel front end should give a nice firm ride whilst being actually usable. (Sod the look, it's how it handles that counts)
    Last edited by Loadsamiles; Tuesday 29th April 2014 at 23:34. Reason: spelin.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealevo View Post
    Welcome along, enjoy the banter and knowledge, i personally wouldn't use the cheap pro sport coilovers, i had them fitted and they lasted approx 50 miles as the ride was horrendous, it was bordering on comical, if you have a tight budget and your shocks are of a decent state, then just buy some lowering springs, but buy a quality set as again you get what you pay for.
    I agree totally with what you say, definitely borderline hilarious at some points, although it does corner flat.

This car came with them on. It has a bit of a "history" and was even stripped of previous performance bits as a donor car by someone tuning another T4 (which was subsequently broken) at one point, then re-built by a reliable person and used as a "loan car" I believe the whole coil-over set-up cost less than £150, so no surprises there.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Looks like you've been down the road that I'm down. Sounds very very familiar.

I can put up with it for now, as the T4 is a second car, just for pottering about, but if there is one thing to do to it getting rid of the fleabay coilovers is high on the list.

It's useless in the rain, it has a "Doc" map on it and setting off I just end up with too much tramping with the soft springs and end up spinning the wheels going nowhere (Tyres Toyo Proxes)

I got the car for a good price from a trusted source and had even used it for 4 weeks before I bought it, so I knew what I was letting myself in for. I love the way it goes with the re-map in the dry, it's great, but the shocks are rather unpleasant. The bottoming seems to be often, but driver's front side only, probably because it's heavier (engine and driver on that side)

If I replace the suspension I think Nivomat rear and diesel front end should give a nice firm ride whilst being actually usable. (Sod the look, it's how it handles that counts)
    Sounds very familier! I agree, I was chasing the looks of a slammed car but it seriously isn't worth it.

I probably would have put up with the coilovers for another year or so if the droplink mount didn't snap off lol. I laugh, but if I'm honest it could have been very dangerous....and to think I ferry my little boy around in it makes me feel a guilty for being a cheapskate and buying them. I feel loads more confident now knowing I have top quality H&R springs on genuine Volvo parts.

I have a set of quality coilover springs for the front if you want a temporary fix for the bottoming out of the awful FK's.

The 'Doc' map is fantastic mate. Added 79lb/ft to my car and 37bhp. Stock everything including exhaust and air filter.

I now have renewed enthusiasm for my T4 as the FK's are in the bin.
    Last edited by mitchyboy01; Wednesday 30th April 2014 at 01:38.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

Thread Information