Join Today
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Apparently someone on here has a dark purple 940 with some tasty mods on, ask jamest5r as he knows the guy, he may be able to help you............although the car hasn't been seen for ages so it may just be a myth lol
    I hear it makes a healthy 140bhp

I blame smithy it was his fault I started all this and now jks is on here I think things may progress rather well

2. The Following User Says Thank You to artfulflounder For This Useful Post:

smithy (Wednesday 7th May 2014)

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wiganer31 View Post
    that cooler fits well, good find, is your rad a non air con one?

cheers
    Yeah it is. Didnt have air con to start with.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by artfulflounder View Post
    Yeah it is. Didnt have air con to start with.

that's what i though, im now thinking i should have converted mine to that rad when the rad on mine poped, took the aircon off anyways, i like how that cooler fits on yours.

cheers

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    Time for more updates: these are grouped into topics rather than in work carried out so pics may jump around a bit.

I did my usual research before carrying out any work and all info is sourced from various sites.
    This is by any means the only way to fo it but just an option that I chose.

Crank case ventilation / Pcv breather:

All engines produce an amount of blowby, turbo engines more than n/a and a high mileage engine more still.
    On a higher mileage engine or if boost levels are raised the volume of blowby increase and the stock breather will become inadequate.

This can result in an increase in crank case pressure resulting in weeping/ blown seals.....cam seal, distributor, front and rear crank on the redblock engines.
    Also the velocity of the blowby increases the ability of the stock breather to seperate oil droplets from the vapour becomes ineffective resulting in oil being sucked through to the intake and intercooler.

when I first bought the 940 I had to change all the leaking seals and buy a new pcv breather box.
    This was the state of my intake:

My way of doing things:
    Adding a catch can into the system allows extra removal of oil droplets from blowby and also has an effect of incresing the systems ability of coping with the extra volume of blowby.
    Increasing hose size can also assist in improving flow of blowby from the breather, slowing the crank case vapour down also allowing better oil seperation.

I decided on a mixture of several options.

first off I added an extra 16mm or 5/8 hose tail to top section of the pcv breather box.

So I now have 2 16mm hoses from the pcv, increases volume of ventilation. These run to a 5/8 Y and into one of the catch can ports........nothing special just an ebay special.

All fine then? Well no cause its just an empty can....mmmm, no baffles or anything to help with seperation.....bugger.

Another quick search and found cheap way to add a basic baffleish contraption. Just needed some copper pipe and a filter.

moves incoming vapour away from outlet so just need some filter medium.

just used some stainless pan scourers. Wrapped round pipe to allow capturing of oil droplets.
    Its a bit heath robinson but hopefully should work.

As this is my daily driver and do mainly start stop driving I connected the outlet back to the intake, including the 4mm take off to intake manifold with introduces vacuum at idle, should stop seals blowing.

I'll see how it goes.....I could vent catch can to atmosphere using a venturi effect from exhaust to introduce a vacuum but dont want to drip oil everywhere and dont necessarily feel the need to at this point.

Well thats that so far......may have done it all wrong but its all new to me so this is another learning experience.

Cheers for reading through the usual wall of drivel

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    Got the new radiator fitted but found in final fitment the npr intercooler just fouled the top of the airbox.

Mmmmm....bugger.

Again probably totally worthless but my way round it was to modify the airbox so it could still be used as a heat shield and use a cone filter inside.
    I cut the front panel out from the airbox that directly sits behind the headlight to allow for the extra length of the cone and also access to lots of Incoming cold air.
    The 940 already has a cold air feed which runs through wing into air box, works much better when you remove the tapered restriction.

Removed the front lip of the lid to allow more space round the cone filter. Also opened up the hole for filter to amm pipe and put a decent size in there instead of the ovalised standard hose, possibly less restriction???? Who knows but the silicon hose does look better.lol

So I'm hoping I've stopped some of the heat soak while standing but still allowed for a decent airflow when ragging it.
    Plus it was free.

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    First off big thanks to m-r-p and jamesy12345 for allowing me to use them as guinea pigs and put up with my endless messages.
    Also to jks for his outstanding technical knowledge......big thumbs up guys.

Onto a bit of bling....yay.
    Paint is cheap so thought I'd carry on giving the old girl a freshen up.

Heres a reminder of the day I bought the old girl.

Stage 1:

Just painted several bits: airbox lid, intercooler hard pipes, slam panel, coil. I like the white clean and simple.

Stage 2:

This is m-r-p's fault but something was missing....mmmm, good idea fit some white vacuum lines.

The large clear reinforced lines are for the catch can....will change them in due time but will allow me to see how the crank case ventilation is working. Still needed to tidy up the hose routing and secure them but you get the idea.

The rocker cover well that is a surprise.....learnt loads and had to strip and repaint it 3 times to get what I wanted but hopefully some of you guys will like it

Next updates coming soon

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Very nice work mate, as long as it has more than 140bhp your laughing

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

artfulflounder (Thursday 5th June 2014),smithy (Thursday 5th June 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    coming along nicely,great transformation in the engine bay

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 850 T5s For This Useful Post:

artfulflounder (Thursday 5th June 2014)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Black n white - you know it's right

Bout time those pics went public mate, looks awesome.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

artfulflounder (Friday 6th June 2014)

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    Cheers guys

Filled up with fluids now, turned over without coil connected and couldnt see any leaks or strange noises.

Fingers crossed......

Once running will be straight into 3"exhaust, poly bushing frontend, dual bars on the rear plus accumulator mod for the auto.

In the mean time gonna collect parts needed for a future t3/t4 hybrid upgrade.
    Not going huge as still auto so .48 cossie hotside and poss 50 trim t4.
    3" maf needed and suitable injectors.

Also downloaded some xdf and bin files so can have a look at playing with lh2.4 on tunerpro.

all good stuff....

So as she stands including purchase price maybe spent £500 tops at this point......and thoroughly enjoyed it.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artfulflounder For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Friday 6th June 2014),M-R-P (Friday 6th June 2014),smithy (Friday 6th June 2014)

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    its a swede and proud!!!!!

What do you guys think to this.......took me a few attempts but I'm happy.
    Just need to do a few finishing touches.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to artfulflounder For This Useful Post:

smithy (Sunday 8th June 2014)

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    Tonights update......

YAY......new bpr7s fitted doubled checked everything and the old girl struck up straight away.
    settled down quickly to a nice steady idle.

Only ran for a few minutes got to cure exhaust manifold paint.

dont seem to have any drips but will run for longer next time. I did have to slacken off waterpump and apply bit more upward pressure to seal to head but that seems fine.

God I am so relieved. ......I was dreading today, thought I'd maybe messed something up and have to strip it all down.
    Bit long winded and its took 7 pages of this thread but I've now done my first ever head gasket change.lol

big thanks to everyone thats helped along the way, wouldn't have got this far without you

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Looks very nice mate you need to do a spec list now of what you have fitted .

20. The Following User Says Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

artfulflounder (Friday 13th June 2014)

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Well done fella, been watching this come together, love the painting job on the rocker cover! Keep up the good work

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

artfulflounder (Friday 13th June 2014)

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    Still starts fine, idles well.
    I have run through idle set up and tps as I'd had all the linkages off.
    Heaters blowing hot air and system seems to have bled itself.

Also theres no dancing oil cap if I rest in on. So no positive pressure, so seems that changing valve stem seals has worked.

Will be booking her in for mot very shortly

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Looks great that cam cover, fella, like we talked about

Love the level gauge on the catch tank btw

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

artfulflounder (Saturday 14th June 2014)

Kawasaki T5. Built by a Swede,
    Driven by a turnip!
    Thanks
    looking good that matey!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to T5RatherAmusin For This Useful Post:

artfulflounder (Saturday 14th June 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Nice work, pleased to hear it's running well after the time and effort you've invested in it

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

29. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

artfulflounder (Sunday 15th June 2014)

no experience but has
    enthusiasm aplenty

Thanks
    Nearly ready for mot.......been using a private road at back of house to run the 940 up and down.

I didnt know if the 350cc injectors would make the car run rich and fail emmisions so tried to give lh enough time to re-learn.........still running at 7psi at this point but definately got more urge than the 13c did at 12psi.......so 1psi increase approx 6bhp........mmm should be a healthy increase at 14psi upwards

Ran through faffing about setting up idle and tps again. Had to strip down washer pumps as siezed. New wipers, but thats all I've found to attend to.

Did have concerns about the fuel pump. Does sound quite noisy so really wanting to change it very soon.
    Found out that volvo pump approx 120 l/hr, divide that by 0.47 for turbo application will support 255bhp. So thats obviously new, so a 250k mile pump would struggle to cope with even my mild upgrades.

Any recommendations on an uprated pump to use? most common seem to be Walbro 255. Are they an easy installation?
    Quick check, 255 l/hr divide by 0.47.......should support approx 540bhp. So plenty big enough.

3 bar fpr o.k for the time being but might connsider adjustable regulator for future mods if its worth while.....again need your advice.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by artfulflounder View Post
    Nearly ready for mot.......been using a private road at back of house to run the 940 up and down.

I didnt know if the 350cc injectors would make the car run rich and fail emmisions so tried to give lh enough time to re-learn.........still running at 7psi at this point but definately got more urge than the 13c did at 12psi.......so 1psi increase approx 6bhp........mmm should be a healthy increase at 14psi upwards

Ran through faffing about setting up idle and tps again. Had to strip down washer pumps as siezed. New wipers, but thats all I've found to attend to.

Did have concerns about the fuel pump. Does sound quite noisy so really wanting to change it very soon.
    Found out that volvo pump approx 120 l/hr, divide that by 0.47 for turbo application will support 255bhp. So thats obviously new, so a 250k mile pump would struggle to cope with even my mild upgrades.

Any recommendations on an uprated pump to use? most common seem to be Walbro 255. Are they an easy installation?
    Quick check, 255 l/hr divide by 0.47.......should support approx 540bhp. So plenty big enough.

3 bar fpr o.k for the time being but might connsider adjustable regulator for future mods if its worth while.....again need your advice.
    Are you running a 3in maf

Thread Information