Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Gave the Gul a bit of a detail today...

Thought I might aswell make a detailing thread since everyone else is, Although I clean the car weekly I have not been able to do the full works for quite a while as I have been busy doing all the mechanical jobs on the car and undersealing it also in my spare time.

Prob spent around 6.5 hours in total today including a few cuppas and a bacon buttie.

Following process I used today...

Rinsed the car and wheel arches thoroughly
    Washed the car using 2 bucket method with a Lambswool mitt and Meguires ultimate shampoo
    Washed the wheels, Tyres and wheel arches using a Meguires Microfibre Mitt, Soft wheel brush and bottle container with foaming head containing Megs soap to a high concentrate
    Rinsed the car again
    Dryed the whole car with Elite XL drying towel, Dried the wheels, Door shuts and engine bay with Microfibre towel.
    Cleaned the glass with Autoglym fast glass then Autoglym Glass Polish
    Removed any tar specs using Autoglym Intensive Tar remover
    Polished the car using Autoglym Super Resin Polish using a sponge applicator to apply and microfibre towel to remove
    Waxed the car using Collinites No:845 liquid insulator wax using soft applicator and Elite buffing towel to remove
    Wax the wheels with Collinites No:476 wax using different applicator and microfibre cloth to remove
    Dressed the bumper tops and mudflaps with Autoglym bumper care using an applicator and then buffed with a Microfibre cloth
    Polished the tailpipes with Autosol
    Final spritz over with Megs Quick detailer

The car is in on the 29th for a professional paint correction/machine polish to further enhance the depth and clarity of the paint....And to remove the minor swirls also. Hoping for a 90% correction on the swirls from past experience, Then I will paint all the calipers etc and its pretty much how I want it cosmetic wise.

Some pics from today, Plenty more on my project thread...

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    So very nice....so very jelous...
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

bonelorry (Saturday 10th August 2013)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Id had thought the clay bar would have got rid of the swirls? But Looking very nice.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    Id had thought the clay bar would have got rid of the swirls? But Looking very nice.
    The Clay bar when used with quick detailer spray as a lubricant just safely removes away from the paint any traffic film, Tree sap, Minor tar spots etc. Any major tar spots are removed using tar remover.

Then onto the polishing stage, The Autoglym Super Resin Polish does fill some minor swirls and make the paint smooth to help with the wax application.

The only true way to remove swirls or holograms in the paint is to machine polish the car using various pads and polish compounds until the best correction is achieved, You also need good U.V lighting too.

Cheers

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    The clay bar removes deposits on the paint which create the swirls. Not saying what your doing is incorrect just saying the imperfection in the paint must be quite bad to warrant a compound with a machine polisher?

I havent had to go down this route before and a few of my cars the black one certainly was quite bad when i first got it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    The clay bar removes deposits on the paint which create the swirls. Not saying what your doing is incorrect just saying the imperfection in the paint must be quite bad to warrant a compound with a machine polisher?

I havent had to go down this route before and a few of my cars the black one certainly was quite bad when i first got it.
    Yes the Clay bars main purpose as you rightly said does remove deposits which if you leave on the paint will cause or contribute to swirls if you ignore them and then try to polish to car.

You end up with a very dirty polishing cloth or applicator.

Swirls and imperfections on my car are created by previous owners that have owned the car either using sponges, Chamois leathers, T-Cuts, Polishing the car by hand without removing the tar or cleaning the paint properly prior to polishing. A number of other things not washing the car properly.

Under a U.V light you can see these swirls and in turn these rob the paint of depth and clarity, The Imperfections in my paint are minor. Infact even brand new cars that leave the factory benefit from a machine polish.

My previous car which was a Mk5 Golf GTI Edition 30 looked fantastic and was only 5 years old, It was enthusiast owned and looked after and washed regular. After a minor paint correction/machine polish the car look truly amazing.

Using a D/A polisher gives much better results and is not considered extreme, Wet-sanding and heavy duty compounds/pad combos are used on cars which have heavily faded due to major neglect.

Ofcourse you could try to do it by had using Autoglym super resin polish or the likes but you would be there for many hours and only achieve a very minor correction to the paint.
    Last edited by bonelorry; Saturday 10th August 2013 at 19:37.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Saturday 10th August 2013)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Lol perhaps i have Ocd when it comes to cleaning cars doh

10. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Looking VERY nice, not jealous.....much lol

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

12. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Lol perhaps i have Ocd when it comes to cleaning cars doh
    Its all about what works for you and getting the results you are happy with, I would never do anyone else's car even though I have been asked numerous times.

All good fun and keeps us out of trouble

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Saturday 10th August 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Even on this phone screen I can see you've done a phenomenal job there Simon. Must confess your cleaning technics are much like mine, now you've machined it there will probably be no need to machine it again if you follow your current technic, mine was done 5 years ago and I can get the same results by hand now that the polisher did then because I'm careful with the car when cleaning

Oh and now you've got your original reg back on the car I recognise the car, on my PC somewhere I've got a picture of this car at the Ring in Germany

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Even on this phone screen I can see you've done a phenomenal job there Simon. Must confess your cleaning technics are much like mine, now you've machined it there will probably be no need to machine it again if you follow your current technic, mine was done 5 years ago and I can get the same results by hand now that the polisher did then because I'm careful with the car when cleaning

Oh and now you've got your original reg back on the car I recognise the car, on my PC somewhere I've got a picture of this car at the Ring in Germany
    Its booked in on the 29th for the machine polish Andy

If you can find that pic would you mind posting it on my project thread? The previous owner used to go to the Ring every year but only to spectate, He never ran the car on the track but I was told when I collected the car that he saw quite a few other enthusiasts whilst there.

He never posted on the forums so the car was pretty unknown before I began plastering it on all the Volvo forums and whoring the car HAHAHA

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Saturday 10th August 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Lol, yeah the shot of the car is going round the roundabout right by the entrance to the track, in the two years I've been going I've been quiet pleasantly surprised at the amount of Volvo lovers who attend, the force is strong in Germany.. Lol

Yes once I've got the Internet working at home I'll post it up for you

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

NOS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,341 Posts
    looks very very nice mate lovely

"WOODY T5 fastest volvo 850 since 2011/12/13/14 @ avon and york 13.3 112mph
    854 t5 19t gripper mte bc loads more 311.6 whp 373 foot pound 342 @ clucth
    toy cbr954

Clueless about Cars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 747 Posts
    Really interesting write up and beautiful pics, Great thread!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Lol, yeah the shot of the car is going round the roundabout right by the entrance to the track, in the two years I've been going I've been quiet pleasantly surprised at the amount of Volvo lovers who attend, the force is strong in Germany.. Lol

Yes once I've got the Internet working at home I'll post it up for you
    Thanks Andy, Looking forward to seeing it!

Quote Originally Posted by WOODY T5 View Post
    looks very very nice mate lovely
    Thanks Woody

Quote Originally Posted by iancho View Post
    Really interesting write up and beautiful pics, Great thread!
    Cheers

Thread Information