Join Today
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks

Cool 02 C70 T5 Coupe - My first T5 :D

Hey all!

So, after nearly 2.5 years with my lovely 480, Poppy, I let her go on the 25th.
    Next day I bided on this on eBay, won it, collected it on Sunday 28th. Very satisfied!

I was tempted to get my beloved V70 on the road but if I did I know the money from the sale of the 480 would have just been wasted on it and if I ever decided to change vehicle (which I do regularly!) I wouldn't be able to as that car will NEVER be for sale! In 2007 when I was 15 I inherited it from My late Father you see so I do have great sentimental attachment you see. 2 days before he died he booked it in for an MOT 3 days later. Next day after I was tinkering with it he suggested that if it passes the test with little work he'd hold onto it for me (he wasn't using it at the time!). Sadly, a few hours after saying that he died. The next day on the Monday the car was collected and it passed it's MOT no problem after sitting for 7 months, good old Volvos eh?

That will hopefully explain why I'm so attached to what is (at the moment at least) just a big garden ornament! Obviously I couldn't afford to drive the car when passing the test at 17 so got a year under my belt and when I was 18 I achieved my motoring goal, driving my Dad's old car, happy days!

Enough of that though for now, this is a thread for the new one...

This is my first proper Manual Volvo and the fastest car I've ever driven and without a doubt the best!

This wasn't at the top of my list when choosing a car, ideally wanted a BMW E30 but it was cheaper to insure this than a 316i believe it or not!

It, physically speaking, is very good indeed. The rear bumper has a few marks on it and there are a couple of minor marks along the passenger side. But, as the car's silver they're hardly noticeable.

A previous owner had the roof vinyl wrapped in Gloss Black, and tbh it looks really good. He didn't have the car long only getting it earlier this year. He sold it to the chap I bought it off who decided to sell it as it was too expensive to use on his short commute. So yes, I'm the FORTH keeper of this car this year alone! You may then begin to think that there's something wrong with the car?

But no, not yet anyway!

Collected the car from Nottingham, performed faultlessly on the way home. Quick check over the car before handing over the cash proved that the car seemed ok. When I got home and properly looked through all the receipts it showed that over the last few years a **** ton of work has been carried out. £300 this, £400 that. 11 service stamps in the book with the invoices for the most recent few to back them up. No warning lights on the dash and they all work too, none blown/removed. The etm doesn't seem to be playing up, revs and idles like it should.

Honestly, the car drives faultlessly! 82K which of course is nothing for one of these!

I will hold my hands up though and say that I stalled it practically straight away! Compared to my 480 the clutch pedal is very light and has a very short travel. Got more confident on the way home. Haven't driven it since as it's untaxed, naughty I know, will tax it for the first obviously!

It's well spec'd with the Dolby Prologic Surround Sound System, Sunroof, Trip Computer, Climate Control but thankfully no electric seats (who actually needs them?).

When I got it was absolutely filthy as there were loads of trees around where it was parked up for a month. Behind the fuel door was disgusting!

The interior is a classy Black/Dark Grey Leather with the Sliver Mesh Trim. The driver's seat is worn and starting to crack slightly but should still be save-able. The knob and shaft to adjust the amount the seat reclines is a bit fubbered mind! Had to drive all the way home in someone else's driving position, I'm all laid back not bolt up right! Also, I think the last owner was a drug dealer or something, loads of simcards in the car and air fresheners! Great, the car probably has a mark from the police on it lol!

A couple of niggles though - The driver's door lock doesn't lock or unlock the car, it just turns? The passenger window seal was whistling at the start of the journey home but after the window went up and down a few times it was silent.
    Which is another problem, the car is silent! The 480 was really quite loud and raw but when I first started this car with the door shut the only way I could tell was by the dials! The V70 has twin Jetex Silencers and I thought that was quiet! But this with its saloon boot is something else and to be honest I don't like it. All in all the car feels too modern. All the controls are so light etc, I feel like I'm doing nothing!

Don't get me wrong, I do actually like the car I just miss the old retro charm of the 480! I'm going to nick a couple of things off the V70 and see what happens. I've already nicked the flat blade wipers!

Strut Brace, Performance Panel Air Filter and maybe the dark custom painted C70 Comets? But the tyres on these current ones are good all matching Falkens whereas the ones on the V70 are mismatched cheapies! Not sure but the swap over would mean they definitely suited each car better! Dark Comets on a Silver C70 and Light Comets on a Dark Blue V70?

Anyway, I think that is all for now so have some pics.

First, here are some before doing anything to it except clear out the interior a bit!

First Shots 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

First Shots 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

First Shots 003 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

First Shots 004 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Yes I know the car has an unsightly removable towbar that cost some poor sap £430 according to the receipts in 2008 I think. It will be removed and sold!

Interior is nice with it's original mats.

First Shots 005 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

The engine bay is filthy with debris everywhere clogging drainage etc!

First Shots 006 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Really crap but easily removed Halfords' Badge had to go!

Naff T5 Badge 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Then of course I gave her a quick wash and clayed the car, if conditions allow I'll polish and seal/wax tomorrow.

First Clean 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

First Clean 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

First Clean 003 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Not much I can do with the car right now due to no tax and as there's an issue with my PayPal currently so I can't even buy anything for it yet!

I will update this thread regularly I'm afraid so check back often, it just won't be that interesting, just me washing and taking photos lol

Thanks for now,
    Dave

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

dannyboy_turbo (Tuesday 30th July 2013),iancho (Tuesday 30th July 2013),jamesy12345 (Tuesday 30th July 2013),Tomcat (Tuesday 30th July 2013),V70 Graham (Tuesday 30th July 2013),Wobbly Dave (Tuesday 30th July 2013)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    looks a very nice motor you have got yourself there mate

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Tuesday 30th July 2013)

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Looks like a damn good starting point, looking forward to seeing your progress.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Nice, like the black roof.

The car needs a name!

Roodolph?
    Dolph Lundgren.....is Swedish?
    Ola.....Hansson, inventor of the moustache, from Lund

(one of the above facts is not true)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Looking good.....I'm sure I've seen the car on here before - very tidy looking.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    that is very nice, I'm liking the black roof from the rear profile shots. you should get one of those little lip spoilers and throw that halfords T5 badge in the bin and get a proper one

Oh I see it is off
    Thanks
    Martyn

12. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

Clueless about Cars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 747 Posts
    Super looking Motor, that Black roof really sets it off

14. The Following User Says Thank You to iancho For This Useful Post:

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Nice car you have there, +1 for the black roof, looking forward to seeing how the project materializes.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

16. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Welcome to C70 ownership. The car looks smart with the black roof, it's something I've thought about doing to mine.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I have a lip spoiler (unpainted) if you like. I changed my mind since buying it & it's been in the shed for some time.

I have most bits should you need anything.

Enjoy the ride.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks everyone!

I can't think of a name for this one, it's not characterful enough to deserve one!

This car may well have visited here, I don't know. I haven't been on here regularly enough recently to notice! But the one recent owner (before the last) posted on the Volvo Owners Forum, that's where I first saw the car, posted in his one thread but didn't think I'd be owning it a few months later lol!

I agree that the roof really suites it and it's a pro job with what seems to be good quality vinyl and I ££££ you not but one of the things on my shopping list was one of those little lip spoilers! Dilemma though, Silver or Black???

Thanks Wobbly, have to have a think...

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Looks very nice, the black roof seems to work well. Enjoy the T5 Thrill and Ppppoooooooowwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeerrrrrrrr.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nealevo For This Useful Post:

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Haha I was thinking black or silver for the lip. I will leave it up to you
    Thanks
    Martyn

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    The car now needs tinting. It'll give the look of a continuing roof line down to the boot lid.....you know what I mean lol

Thanks
    Not sure about tinting, they're hard enough to see out of as they are!!!

Stole some bits off the V70 today. Panel Filter, Strut Brace, Modern Centre Caps and some chav spec ciggy lighters!!

Taxed it today too, £30 of petrol goes quite fast....

Thanks
    So I taxed the car yesterday as I said, done nearly 300 miles in it already!

It seems to scare passengers or make them feel sick, brilliant!

Again the car is too quiet for me though, turbo-back stainless on 'the list' but it'd have to be used. I imagine the cost of a new system would be as much as the car cost! I don't want it loud, I just want a bit of burble!

The car handles and drives well for what it is, fitted the strut brace as I said and Torque Steer is non existent.

The car seems low, does it look like it's been lowered a touch? I'm not too sure.

Regardless, if the car gets under my skin and I decide I'm definitely keeping it then I think some IPD 25mm Anti Roll Bars will be a suitable upgrade .

So, after getting familiar with the car here is what needs doing/sorting to make perfect.
    - Driver's Door Lock repair to fix an issue with locking with the key.
    - Source Brake noise. Once the car's warm you can hear the brakes tweeting which goes when they're applied. Rear discs and pads need changing anyway!
    - Replace cord on fuel filler cap.
    - Find perfect (impossible) driver's seat.
    - Remove Towbar.
    - Replace bulb in driver's vanity mirror.
    - Sort 2 small dents on the n/s.
    - Replace rotten rear exhaust hanger.

And that covers it! Apart from those points the car is perfect! No bangs, creaks or whatever.

I am struggling with the gear shifting with this car though, the throw is too much for my liking so a Short Shift kit should come my way I think. So there are 3 mods/changes I'd like to do that I can't afford to!
    - Turbo-Back followed by remap,
    - IPD 'Track Spec' ARBs,
    - Short Shift Kit.

So far I've fitted...
    - a Strut Brace,
    - Pipercross Panel Air Filter, will drill the airbox, if I don't like it then I have a different one too!
    - Modern caps and blue valve caps to match blue badges,
    - Shiny Chav engine bling,
    - Blue Fob Case.

Need to put the V70's wheels on it now, I've got a couple of other aesthetic plans for it too but nothing exciting!

Here are a few more pics...

30-07-13 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

30-07-13 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

30-07-13 003 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

30-07-13 004 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

C70 Strut Brace Installed 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Wet C70 T5 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Here's a pic of the custom painted wheels on the V70 to give you an idea...

What do we reckon? Will they suite with the Gloss Black Roof or will they clash?

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    The wheels will look awesome, if you want more noise, id suggest Polly bushing the top Engine stay bar, That will wake you up

Lovely looking car mate, well done

29. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Wednesday 31st July 2013)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    You could make it look like this???

Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Sunday 4th August 2013)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Lovely looking car, those wheels will suit it well I recon.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

33. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Sunday 4th August 2013)

Thanks
    The other day the car wouldn't start for a few turns of the key even though I'd started it multiple times earlier that day. I had a similar problem with the V' way back when and yes it was the ignition ring around the barrel, just cleaned it and sanded the inside with some 240grit paper and it was perfect ever after! I was thinking this may be the problem yesterday.

I got an eggcrate grill the otherday. Absolute bargain compared to what I've sold one for in the past off the V'! Fitted it this evening as well as removing the sound deadening from the bonnet to fulfil my lust for more noise. Now you can really hear the turbo and that lovely 5 pot roar but as it's undamaged it can be easily re-installed . I know everyone here has probably done it but anyone wanting more noise on WOT needs to do this first!

I refitted the front plate too with some screw covers and as I wasn't happy with it's position. I'll get some pressed plates at some point as well.

Here are some random pics

01-08-13 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

01-08-13 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

01-08-13 003 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

01-08-13 005 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

01-08-13 006 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

01-08-13 007 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Removed 2 of the wheels off the V' the other day too in to properly clean them inside and out. They owe me A LOT of money but they look the mutz nutz!
    I had them painted when I bought them last March and were only on the car for 3 months before I took it off the road. I never once washed them properly as I couldn't be bothered with car cleaning those days but now after washing twice with car shampoo, claying, polishing and then sealing they look like new again! Only one of the 4 wheels has a small kerb mark on it and hopefully it'll stay that way! I have to park next to a kerb as close as possible so passengers don't stuff their door into the hedge!

Here are a couple of pics, secondly is one in direct sunlight to show the sparkle!

Dark Comets 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Dark Comets 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

And then here is a pic taken in Gloucester yesterday...

03-08-13 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Wheels will go on soon I promise!
    Last edited by AcidicDavey; Sunday 4th August 2013 at 20:46.

Thread Information