Join Today
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Does look lowered to me mate. I'd be sticking those comets on it, they will compliment the roof.
    What engines in the v70, looks like it needs a bit of a whack with the lowering stick..
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks
    I'm thinking it's lowered but it rides so well and the springs are Black so I don't know truth be told!

The V70 is just a normal AWD so it's an LPT. Ideally, if I could afford it I'd get them Intrax RSA Coilovers but at £1600 they are well out of my reach lol

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Beutifull car mate, gonna look awesome with those wheels

Thanks
    So, as the weather was clear this afternoon I managed to put the 2 wheels I already cleaned on her today. Then, put the 2 off the C70 on the V70 so I could then get the other 2 off to clean up etc.

Put simply, due to our unique situation it takes about 4 or 5 hours to swap the wheels around! Admittedly 3 or 4 hours involved cleaning or going back and forth!

Anyway, she looks good with her new boots and as it would seem the tyres aren't too bad. No noisier than the others which is a shame actually. The V70 used to hum on the go and I thought that maybe it was the cheap tyres, but no. They don't hum on this car so my original suspicion of a dodgy wheel baring is almost confirmed

Here are some pics anyway, she looks great with the eggcrate too! Those little black dots on the car are flies btw...

C70 with Dark Comets 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

C70 with Dark Comets 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

C70 with Dark Comets 003 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

C70 with Dark Comets 004 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Haven't kerbed them yet

I'll post up a couple of pics of the V70 with the silver Comets on it too when it's cleaned up!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

Biff (Tuesday 6th August 2013),p fandango (Saturday 10th August 2013)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
    I'm thinking it's lowered but it rides so well and the springs are Black so I don't know truth be told!

The V70 is just a normal AWD so it's an LPT. Ideally, if I could afford it I'd get them Intrax RSA Coilovers but at £1600 they are well out of my reach lol
    Looking awesome on the black comets mate, she's really coming along. Can't wait to crack on with my cosmetics. Lol
    As for the v70 its possible to drop it without coilovers, I take it its on nivomats at the rear?
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Thanks
    Cheers! Really happy with them on it!

The V70, being an AWD it has Nivos yes and were only available with them.

There are some lowering springs that work with the V70R AWD nivos made by TME but they cost a lot of money plus then some new front struts etc. I might as well just go for the Coilies!

All that crap will have to wait though due to lack of funds, I was tempted to get it back on the road rather than buying this but that would have just ended up with me ££££ing my money away lol

Meh.....
    Thanks
    If you can source some lowered springs for the front you can lower the rear nivo's without the need of lowered springs. Fooler bolts are pretty cheap to buy from an engineering wholesalers. They're basically longer bolts & a longer sleeve that drop the rear whatever you want. I've opted for 30mm front springs & 50mm spacers with 3" bolts to level it out. Once my awd is working again I plan to fit them along with hopefully a set of uprated front dampers. Just an idea to save yourself £1600 & get your precious v70 down mate. Understand if you want the best for it seeing as you'll be keeping it a while..
    Sorry for straying off topic of your lovely c70 though.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Tuesday 6th August 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    wow that is looking fine!
    1995 854 t5r

11. The Following User Says Thank You to martybelfastt5 For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Thursday 8th August 2013)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Very nice, liking the eggcrate, any plans for new lights ?

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

13. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Thursday 8th August 2013)

Thanks
    It's not off topic Biff, don't worry . I don't have a thread here for the V so this is a good a place as anywhere to talk about it. TBH though, I think the car would benefit from some replacement rear shocks anyway as these were sagging but since jacking her up to swap the wheels over and putting here down again the rear seems higher than before!!

My plan for headlights would be to get some of the clear units from 03-05 cars but they tend to go for a pretty penny so that idea is probably shelved!
    Alternatively I could go for some projectors I know, I've got some Black ones on the V' but I don't think they'll suit a silver car and to be honest I'm not a huge fan of the idea of buying some silver ones unless they were cheap, I just prefer the clear late C70 soft top lights I guess.

I'm really happy having put these wheels on the car, they really do set it off a treat! It would have been a crime for me not to put them on since I had them anyway and as I said before the V70 too looks better with the silver comets on. Both sets are the C70 7.5J spec.

I would really like some of the Propus wheels on the V70 one day, I don't think they were ever offered on them though, just C70s so are all 17x7.5 I presume? Maybe even some titons, the 18' BBS split rims, not sure I've got their name right there!

Yesterday when I was cleaning up the 2 silver comets to put onto the V' I had a chap and his young lad who were passing on their bikes stop for a chat about the cars! This chap was very interested in my V70 not knowing quite what it was ('Is it an R? Is it a T5?' Now you'll know why I call it's thread 'The not an R or T5 thread!'). He himself has a silver V70R and I could see where the conversation was going so while chatting about the car I chucked in that I am not selling it nor am I breaking it!
    He was after one set of the wheels, he really liked the silver/black combination of the C! He thought they'd suit his silver R and I'm sure they would but I told him I would be prepared to let the silver ones go if he could put some wheels in p/x. After he departed though I realised that his 16s he offered may not fit over the 302s on the front of the V, we'll have to see what happens as I don't even know what wheels he has!

Also, he was telling me that after having his S plate auto R chipped recently it's started to tap and he blames the remap! Of course the outlet that provided the service isn't accepting liability which I don't blame them for! Obviously his engine maybe isn't as healthy as he'd like to think. Could a simple ecu remap really cause a healthy engine to develop a top end rattle?
    This chap, sorry to say, didn't really seem to know what he had claiming that 'Chipping BMWs were fine as they were under-tuned whereas Volvos are maxed out at the factory!'
    That bit made me laugh!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Dont normally like the silvers/blacks/blues c70s but that stands out. Good buy! Also u got a pm :-)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BIG G For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Friday 9th August 2013)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Looks really good mate, though it could do with lowering, and being painted Saffron Pearl.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

Meh.....
    Thanks
    It's not off topic Biff, don't worry . I don't have a thread here for the V so this is a good a place as anywhere to talk about it. TBH though, I think the car would benefit from some replacement rear shocks anyway as these were sagging but since jacking her up to swap the wheels over and putting here down again the rear seems higher than before!!

My plan for headlights would be to get some of the clear units from 03-05 cars but they tend to go for a pretty penny so that idea is probably shelved!
    Alternatively I could go for some projectors I know, I've got some Black ones on the V' but I don't think they'll suit a silver car and to be honest I'm not a huge fan of the idea of buying some silver ones unless they were cheap, I just prefer the clear late C70 soft top lights I guess.

I'm really happy having put these wheels on the car, they really do set it off a treat! It would have been a crime for me not to put them on since I had them anyway and as I said before the V70 too looks better with the silver comets on. Both sets are the C70 7.5J spec.

I would really like some of the Propus wheels on the V70 one day, I don't think they were ever offered on them though, just C70s so are all 17x7.5 I presume? Maybe even some titons, the 18' BBS split rims, not sure I've got their name right there!

Yesterday when I was cleaning up the 2 silver comets to put onto the V' I had a chap and his young lad who were passing on their bikes stop for a chat about the cars! This chap was very interested in my V70 not knowing quite what it was ('Is it an R? Is it a T5?' Now you'll know why I call it's thread 'The not an R or T5 thread!'). He himself has a silver V70R and I could see where the conversation was going so while chatting about the car I chucked in that I am not selling it nor am I breaking it!
    He was after one set of the wheels, he really liked the silver/black combination of the C! He thought they'd suit his silver R and I'm sure they would but I told him I would be prepared to let the silver ones go if he could put some wheels in p/x. After he departed though I realised that his 16s he offered may not fit over the 302s on the front of the V, we'll have to see what happens as I don't even know what wheels he has!

Also, he was telling me that after having his S plate auto R chipped recently it's started to tap and he blames the remap! Of course the outlet that provided the service isn't accepting liability which I don't blame them for! Obviously his engine maybe isn't as healthy as he'd like to think. Could a simple ecu remap really cause a healthy engine to develop a top end rattle?
    This chap, sorry to say, didn't really seem to know what he had claiming that 'Chipping BMWs were fine as they were under-tuned whereas Volvos are maxed out at the factory!'
    That bit made me laugh!
    You should of told him to come on here & we could of all put him right mate.
    As for the v, mine sagged a bit when it was stood, now its mobile again its returned to its normal height. As long as it returns I think your alright.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Can I annoy you by telling you even more by saying that you can get brighter rear lights post 2003 which I bought for the C - look a lot better on lighter coloured cars.

Name:  09052010212.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  124.7 KB
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Thanks
    Thanks guys, would have loved a saffy but I didn't want to wait for the perfect car, this was good enough

I don't think I'll be lowering it further, it already is surely?! If any C owners with their cars at the standard ride height could give me a figure that would be great to cross reference with mine that'd be great! I think it's lowered 30mm or so... The bottom of the bumper is all scraped so must be lowered lol

The car's filthy after 500 miles without washing so if weather allows I'll give her a good going over tomorrow. So big post tomorrow hopefully!

And thanks Wobbly, I know lol. This 1k car is going to cost me a fortune lol

23. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

Biff (Friday 9th August 2013)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Well if I can make your journey a little cheaper then I will.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cheers Mate, been reading through your thread for the car and I'm only on page 15 so far lol

27. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Saturday 10th August 2013)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    im really liking this car, its a credit to you mate, awesome

29. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Cheers Mate, been reading through your thread for the car and I'm only on page 15 so far lol
    Hopefully avoiding my mistakes LOL
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    So, as the weather was clear this afternoon I managed to put the 2 wheels I already cleaned on her today. Then, put the 2 off the C70 on the V70 so I could then get the other 2 off to clean up etc.

Put simply, due to our unique situation it takes about 4 or 5 hours to swap the wheels around! Admittedly 3 or 4 hours involved cleaning or going back and forth!

Anyway, she looks good with her new boots and as it would seem the tyres aren't too bad. No noisier than the others which is a shame actually. The V70 used to hum on the go and I thought that maybe it was the cheap tyres, but no. They don't hum on this car so my original suspicion of a dodgy wheel baring is almost confirmed

Here are some pics anyway, she looks great with the eggcrate too! Those little black dots on the car are flies btw...

C70 with Dark Comets 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

C70 with Dark Comets 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

C70 with Dark Comets 003 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

C70 with Dark Comets 004 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Haven't kerbed them yet

I'll post up a couple of pics of the V70 with the silver Comets on it too when it's cleaned up!
    very nice & subtle & works really well i like that. I'd be tempted to black/grey the mirrors & wheels nuts if it was mine, but looks really good as it is

Thread Information