Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream3r View Post
    You can flash M4.4, just not READ both memory banks mate, they went from 64 to 128k from the M4.3
    Ahh, my mistake. Its all good then
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Just been reading the Volvospeed thread, the map switching looks interesting, will give it a go as soon as I can
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Does that mean its possible to run 2 maps & switch between them?
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    Does that mean its possible to run 2 maps & switch between them?
    Indeed it does Looks like currently you go to full throttle and back with the ignition on to change the maps, but think development on a switch is being looked at.

And it isn't limited to two maps (though you need to select them via serial interface)
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Saturday 20th July 2013 at 18:06.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Biff (Sunday 21st July 2013)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Well that took some finding...

http://www.yumpu.com/en/document/vie...trionic-suites

Also, a link to explain hexadecimal stuff....FF = 255 km/h

http://tunerpro.net/tutorials/UnderstandingHex.htm
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Sunday 21st July 2013 at 07:57. Reason: added hexadecimal link

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Biff (Sunday 21st July 2013)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    Indeed it does Looks like currently you go to full throttle and back with the ignition on to change the maps, but think development on a switch is being looked at.

And it isn't limited to two maps (though you need to select them via serial interface)
    That would be lovely combined with the blitz ebc I'm supposed to be having off a mate.
    Jamesy me thinks a fair bit of revising will be done on nights! Lol
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream3r View Post
    You won't be able to read your eeprom without desoldering it on m4.4.
    So...as above soon I will have a couple of mapped ECUs from known companies....to compare the Volvo mapping to the modified version I would need to de-solder the EPROM chip, stick it in one of these (recommended on Volvospeed somewhere but I am just using it for example):

http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/stor...idProduct=4219

Then read off the map and save it somehow using Motronic Suite, WinOLS or similar, pen/paper whatever

THEN I guess get Volvo to return the map to standard. Which they may or may not want to do if they are aware that the ECU has been opened. Or get hold of an equivalent stock ECU and de-solder etc.

I'm not talking about making the hard work of tuners freely available to all cos I don't own the intellectual property. But I do own the ECUs and want to have a look in detail at something that I will have paid for - modifications to the Volvo mapping.

If I ever get through all of the above then this should help me gain some knowledge on actually tuning something myself...which I am a long way from at the moment

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    n
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    That would be lovely combined with the blitz ebc I'm supposed to be having off a mate.
    Jamesy me thinks a fair bit of revising will be done on nights! Lol
    Yes mate I am reading up now cos 'between' jobs right now

No doubt a pretty girl will walk past or the sun will come out and I'll get distracted again

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Sunday 21st July 2013)

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    So...as above soon I will have a couple of mapped ECUs from known companies....to compare the Volvo mapping to the modified version I would need to de-solder the EPROM chip, stick it in one of these (recommended on Volvospeed somewhere but I am just using it for example):
    http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/stor...idProduct=4219
    Then read off the map and save it somehow using Motronic Suite, WinOLS or similar, pen/paper whatever
    Its a pity you're not closer as I've got a willem programmer board I use to do all my chip flashing.

Found a UK based one (cheap too)
    http://www.c-u-s.co.uk/willem-progra...0/prod_47.html

Oh and also its worth noting that some boards need a parallel port (like in the link above) to connect to and most computers these days don't come with parallel ports as they are hardly used nowadays. There are some usb boards available but they cost more AFAIK. If you have an old computer with winxp you're sorted

The standard Volvo maps are bundled in with Motronic suite if you wanted to return it to standard.

HTH
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Sunday 21st July 2013 at 10:57.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Biff (Monday 22nd July 2013),jamesy12345 (Tuesday 30th July 2013)

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    No doubt a pretty girl will walk past or the sun will come out and I'll get distracted again
    She gonna bend over your 460 again?!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Tuesday 30th July 2013)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    Its a pity you're not closer as I've got a willem programmer board I use to do all my chip flashing.

Found a UK based one (cheap too)
    http://www.c-u-s.co.uk/willem-progra...0/prod_47.html

Oh and also its worth noting that some boards need a parallel port (like in the link above) to connect to and most computers these days don't come with parallel ports as they are hardly used nowadays. There are some usb boards available but they cost more AFAIK. If you have an old computer with winxp you're sorted

The standard Volvo maps are bundled in with Motronic suite if you wanted to return it to standard.

HTH
    Sorry, missed this thread. Thanks very much Dave I may take you up on that. Apart from trying to start a new job, I got distracted and started reading up on Bosch LH Jetronic and EZK ECUs....like what is fitted in the 400-series cars and some models of the older Porche engines. One ECU controls the fuel and the other ignition & boost in my case. I'm interested but just haven't got the skills....it might be a good idea (for me) to start off with Jetronic 2.2 before attempting something like 4.4.

The EZ210K ECU in my 460 has been fiddled with to make the boost come in a little earlier and go higher. But the stock fuel mapping, controlled by the LH 2.2 ECU, hasn't been changed so maybe there is a little bit of scope for fiddling with that. I'm off topic now I know.

In any case I think the first job of seeing if there is a little more power with any tune would be an AFR gauge or some means of reading this ratio. On the 70-series cars I think some of the OBD software can do this like OBDWiz Professional. Since this thread is all about DIY:

http://www.scirocco.org/tech/misc/afgauge/af.html

A bit rough but at least a starting point . My plan is to knock this up, as there is no OBD socket on my 460, then maybe see what is the effect of adding a little more fuel by adjusting the mapping as we talked about above. I have a spare ECU ready to go for this just need to get the EPROM chip out and read the map. Easy to say

Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    She gonna bend over your 460 again?!
    Only if I can find her in Peterlee again
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Tuesday 30th July 2013 at 09:31.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    ...I have a spare ECU ready to go for this just need to get the EPROM chip out and read the map...
    Some links associated with that train of thought....

http://saabworld.net/f5/lh2-2-tweaking-diary-403/

http://www.batronix.com/shop/program...rogrammer.html

http://www.futurlec.com/Memory/2732A-200.shtml

Maybe I should start another thread here for LH 2.2....

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Only if I can find her in Peterlee again
    Nah, I'll be wearing her like a hat!!

I'd be interested to see if you come up with anything for 2.2 James, not much about for us old-skoolers any more!

Steve

New Identity
    Thanks
    Good luck! At least with the LH its just fuelling you have to deal with, though m4.4 isn't hard to do, as dream3r says some pro maps only have the boost map changed.

Have you seen the LH editor that was made by ipdown on ecuproject.com?

Been following the VS thread a lot and picking through my ecu in more detail, this is when I realised my ecu is actually for an automatic gearbox car :/ so will be flashing the manual software and seeing how much difference it makes. I know the engine has been changed, I wonder whether it had a remapped ecu at some point and someone popped an auto one in when they sold the car. It runs ok with the auto ecu, but there are different parameters like boost control in lower gears that aren't enabled with the auto ecu.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Wednesday 31st July 2013)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    Good luck! At least with the LH its just fuelling you have to deal with, though m4.4 isn't hard to do, as dream3r says some pro maps only have the boost map changed.

Have you seen the LH editor that was made by ipdown on ecuproject.com?

Been following the VS thread a lot and picking through my ecu in more detail, this is when I realised my ecu is actually for an automatic gearbox car :/ so will be flashing the manual software and seeing how much difference it makes. I know the engine has been changed, I wonder whether it had a remapped ecu at some point and someone popped an auto one in when they sold the car. It runs ok with the auto ecu, but there are different parameters like boost control in lower gears that aren't enabled with the auto ecu.
    Thanks, I joined ECUproject a few weeks ago and got the status of Junior Tuner ....will have a look for LH editor

I have a couple of auto 4.4 ECUs now you are welcome to compare if it is any use

Nah, I'll be wearing her like a hat!!

I'd be interested to see if you come up with anything for 2.2 James, not much about for us old-skoolers any more!

Steve
    LOL I thought you preferred celebrities?? If I come up with something worth reading will make a thread. Smithy on here runs a 940 with LH ECU...not sure if it is 2.2 or 2.4 will ask him.

Steve if we can arrange it somehow have a go of mine in your 460. My modified EZ210K ECU that is, I don't want to be your next hat

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Wednesday 31st July 2013)

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    I don't want to be your next hat
    I actually just spat a gob full of "35p Whoop-Ass" (cheap rip off of...Erm, I'm gonna say Beige Rhino) all over my windscreen. That's gonna go sticky me thinks!!

I don't want you to be my next hat!!

Well, if you're trusting enough to send a random Mancunian your ECU to play with and honestly think you'll get it back once I've seen the difference, then fair play to ya fella!!

Oh, Smithy's 140bhp 940 will be LH2.4.

Steve

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    I actually just spat a gob full of "35p Whoop-Ass" (cheap rip off of...Erm, I'm gonna say Beige Rhino) all over my windscreen. That's gonna go sticky me thinks!!

I don't want you to be my next hat!!

Well, if you're trusting enough to send a random Mancunian your ECU to play with and honestly think you'll get it back once I've seen the difference, then fair play to ya fella!!

Oh, Smithy's 140bhp 940 will be LH2.4.

Steve
    LOL cheers, don't know about posting....not cos of dodgy mancs but would be worried about damage etc. I'll be at York Raceway on the 25th if that is any help. I was going to go on the 26th instead/also but just agreed to Land Rover racing again so spine is in for another battering. I think I'm getting too old for it

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Started an LH2.2 thread over on the 480 forum

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/foru...202189#p202189

Thread Information