Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts

Cool 4.4 ecu free tuning???

I've been doing a lot of reading as of late about remaps & ecu compatability. I've heard of turbo tuner & guess its for pre obd2 cars but just wondering if anyone has used any of the tools surrounding a vag-com wire.
    There seems to be a few theads on volvospeed & other forums & it does make some sense although I wouldn't trust myself to make a map, I would trust myself to "flash" a map. Most of the maps I've seen are to the same spec as mine for manual t5's but for the £20 or so for the lead & links to software it does seem good... But too good to be true?
    Seems its pretty popular with the techno geek yanks but I can find very limited info in this country. Guess this is why HLM maps are cheap (£150) on pre me7 cars?
    I await your comments, info & suggestions kind sirs.....
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Interested but no skills here

Attachment 21927

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Biff (Wednesday 17th July 2013)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Here's the link to what I've seen;
    http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...uning-for-m44/
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Wednesday 17th July 2013)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    The problem with M4.4 is different ecus have different map locations, though it's easy enough to compare two maps in WinOLS to find the

You can use Motronic Suite to a greater effect (as more of the maps are listed in the program) but it can't flash M4.4 it can only do M4.3 and further development of motronic suite has stopped at the moment. So you could use motronic suite to edit the maps and flash them with the flasher tool in that thread.

Once you get into it finding the maps is really easy. The hard part is editing them to get the best results, which is what you pay for from an ECU tuner. Though I would have thought that after 16 years the price of a map would be a lot cheaper considering its just 64kb or 128kb of data :/

If you look really deep you can find the maps

And you can get turbo tuner for 4.3 or 4.4 cars.
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Wednesday 17th July 2013 at 11:07.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Biff (Wednesday 17th July 2013),jamesy12345 (Wednesday 17th July 2013)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    The problem with M4.4 is different ecus have different map locations, though it's easy enough to compare two maps in WinOLS to find the

You can use Motronic Suite to a greater effect (as more of the maps are listed in the program) but it can't flash M4.4 it can only do M4.3 and further development of motronic suite has stopped at the moment. So you could use motronic suite to edit the maps and flash them with the flasher tool in that thread.

Once you get into it finding the maps is really easy. The hard part is editing them to get the best results, which is what you pay for from an ECU tuner. Though I would have thought that after 16 years the price of a map would be a lot cheaper considering its just 64kb or 128kb of data :/
    Cheers for that mate, I thought to myself it wasn't really a lot of data but guess your paying for the tried & tested route.
    I understood what was said about advancing the timing etc & the codes but its a load of numbers that could be very hit & miss. Lol
    I have had it mentioned about putting an older ecu on it & it being cheaper by a lad who knows his stuff. I'll certainly be speaking to him about it.
    It would be a damn site cheaper than having a different custom map after big mods as I plan in due course.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    Cheers for that mate, I thought to myself it wasn't really a lot of data but guess your paying for the tried & tested route.
    I understood what was said about advancing the timing etc & the codes but its a load of numbers that could be very hit & miss. Lol
    I have had it mentioned about putting an older ecu on it & it being cheaper by a lad who knows his stuff. I'll certainly be speaking to him about it.
    It would be a damn site cheaper than having a different custom map after big mods as I plan in due course.
    You would have to do your own maps with turbo tuner anyway, starting with a base map and changing to suit, so the DIY route is essentially the same (except with TT you can change maps on the fly). The other way is with the Ostrich emulator and Tunerpro (as said on the Volvospeed website) but again you have to risk your own mapping skills.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Don't think they will be my mapping skills! Lol
    We have a local company called BD performance who specialize in focus st & rs. They have a really good reputation with tuning the fords & when I spoke to Darren he mentioned it as did Shem from Shemtek racing in Nottingham.
    I'll speak to Darren & see if he fancies a crack, it could be done on the rolling road to.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    there are loads of words in the link there that I don't understand. I've done some programming before in BASIC and such but that looks like rocket science. Will take a few cups of tea and maybe even some chocolate biscuits this one.

I was wondering that also: after I get the ECU flashed with a 'known' map, what comes next......especially if something falls off and I want to make it better

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    liking the idea of flashing your own map, as this could be the final answer in my v70r awd (p1 ph3) manual conversion, how could I read of the existing data on the existing ecu and would it be in an understandable format or just a jumble of hex or the like?

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post

If you look really deep you can find the maps

And you can get turbo tuner for 4.3 or 4.4 cars.
    You can flash M4.4, just not READ both memory banks mate, they went from 64 to 128k from the M4.3

You'd all be MAD to buy turbo tuner whilst this is free. Stage one on these cars is simple enough just up the boost map is basically what most tuners do for a stage 1.

I've posted the damos files for m4.4 on T5D5 and there is an XDF file on the Volvospeed forum, with time and a bit of reading and a £5 eBay cable you'll be sorted.

Me7 is next then ME9.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dream3r For This Useful Post:

Biff (Thursday 18th July 2013),Dangerous Dave (Saturday 20th July 2013),jamesy12345 (Thursday 18th July 2013)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream3r View Post
    You can flash M4.4, just not READ both memory banks mate, they went from 64 to 128k from the M4.3

You'd all be MAD to buy turbo tuner whilst this is free. Stage one on these cars is simple enough just up the boost map is basically what most tuners do for a stage 1.

I've posted the damos files for m4.4 on T5D5 and there is an XDF file on the Volvospeed forum, with time and a bit of reading and a £5 eBay cable you'll be sorted.

Me7 is next then ME9.
    I thought I'd got my wires crossed, I knew I'd seen a file for the 4.4! Next on the list is a laptop! Lol
    It was on Volvo speed & t5d5 I read it. Be great to do a spot of mapping on mine if you reckon it's simple. Cheers.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT5-R View Post
    liking the idea of flashing your own map, as this could be the final answer in my v70r awd (p1 ph3) manual conversion, how could I read of the existing data on the existing ecu and would it be in an understandable format or just a jumble of hex or the like?
    I see your point, save going through the hassle of a manual loom get a manual map?
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

This user has no status

Thanks
    It's very simple for a stage 1 or 2 map. You need a wideband to go nuts though.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dream3r For This Useful Post:

Biff (Tuesday 30th July 2013),Dangerous Dave (Saturday 20th July 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'll help anyone tune there ME4.4 cars, time providing, as long as the tune is open source after.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dream3r For This Useful Post:

Biff (Tuesday 30th July 2013),Dangerous Dave (Saturday 20th July 2013),MoleT-5R (Monday 29th July 2013)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    I'm unfamiliar with the various stages but I'd like to see 280-290bhp eventually when the awd is fixed. I'm very interested but need me a home computer of some type to open the files for a browse.
    Fair play to you for sitting down & working through this. The more I've read the more it appeals to me.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

This user has no status

Thanks
    The stages, I mean just a remap or a remap with exhaust. Those are simple enough for the hobbyist to have a crack at.

I seen a tune recently that had one map changed, and was from a pro tuner, so it made me wonder about the rest.

This was a supposed stage 3 map, and I tweaked it for the owner as the boost was building too fast. Some stage 3 file.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    The more I've read the more it appeals to me.
    and me....one of the main reasons for getting a 70-series car was more scope for $$$$ing about with ECUs. One of the 400-series gurus did a couple of ECUs for me and that was the start of it.

I'm waiting for delivery of a TME ECU which is supposed to be good for 420 Nm. That is the same as a stage 3 MTE map I think.

Attachment 21936

That is about as good as it gets on my motor without changing injectors/turbo/cams/etc....? If I am wrong shoot me down pls

Found some more info below....

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...c-44-overview/

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    that is expensive!

http://shop.mte.se/product.asp?product=87

MTE stage 3 says 430 Nm...close enough

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    and me....one of the main reasons for getting a 70-series car was more scope for $$$$ing about with ECUs. One of the 400-series gurus did a couple of ECUs for me and that was the start of it.

I'm waiting for delivery of a TME ECU which is supposed to be good for 420 Nm. That is the same as a stage 3 MTE map I think.

Attachment 21936

That is about as good as it gets on my motor without changing injectors/turbo/cams/etc....? If I am wrong shoot me down pls

Found some more info below....

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...c-44-overview/
    You won't be able to read your eeprom without desoldering it on m4.4.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream3r View Post
    You won't be able to read your eeprom without desoldering it on m4.4.
    lol u read my mind....

Thread Information