Join Today
    jimv50
    This user has no status

missing fuse position for 12v socket in boot space

Car is a 2006 V50 2.0D SE
    I got myself a small fridge that runs off the 12v sockets in the car for the childrens drinks and chocolate habit.
    Works fine when plugged in the sockets in the centre console but not when trying to use the one in the boot space.
    I thought I would check the manual to find the fuse and check/change as necessary.
    Manual shows that the it should be 15A fuse in position 78 in the under the dash fuse holder.
    When the fuse box is lowered there is a position 78 in the fuse box but it is blanked off completely as are quite a few spaces.
    Am I right in assuming that it is dealer fix to open up the position in the fuse box in such a way to fit a fuse to make the aux power socket
    work in the boot, otherwise anyone have any ideas ?
    The socket is fitted in the boot space already and it would seem more than strange that the socket is fitted in car but the fuse cannot, but this is my first Volvo
    and it may seem natural to more experienced owners.

Thanks in advance for any help
    Jim

jimv50
    This user has no status
    Just a bit more information,this just has to be an obvious fix.
    Checked on line for pdf of the owners manual,online version shows fuse position as 77,paper version in the car shows position 78.
    Ahaaa I thought,just check this again,I had checked it last night as well as I was a bit suspicious about the set up.
    But no luck,fuse checked on the trust multimeter and seems fine.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    I wrote a reply to this last night, listing various alternative fuse locations and things to look for and then I realised you have a V50 not a V70 (should read titles properly lol) and had to delete. Have you checked the outlet with the multimeter? it's not been noted that the rear socket sometimes gets forgotten and goes unplugged from the factory.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

jimv50
    This user has no status
    Great minds thinking alike, tested the output with a multimeter,just on the off chance the connection twixst socket and the fridge plug was not good,and so it was, a big fat 0.0 volts.
    Felt around the back of the socket the socket and ---no wiring at all.

I'll forgive the Belgians for missing it out as they make the best beer in the world,Duvel and best meal in the world to go with it,mussels, chips and mayonnaise.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Pull the panels off mate - there'll be a connection somewhere, the wiring looms are usually 1 for all as it keeps manufacturing costs down. Or run a new cable to it from the front 12 outlet.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

jimv50
    This user has no status
    Thanks,I had a quick look down the inside of the panel and could see nothing.I'll pull a few panels off when this current heat wave finishes and go look for it properly.
    Thanks for the input.
    Jim

jimv50
    This user has no status
    And so it was....had to pull off side panel and remove part of the polysterene around the spare tyre to find the connector looking a bit dirty and unused.But it all worked when plugged in.All sorts of unused connections down the right hand side !
    Now how long do I leave it plugged in, as it is live all the time, until the battery drains down ?

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    Mine wasnt plugged in on my v70 p2 so chances are it will be there. Mine was neatly wrapped in some form of old mask tape.
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimv50 View Post
    Now how long do I leave it plugged in, as it is live all the time, until the battery drains down ?
    It won't drain your battery because the 'live' part of the plug is not connected to anything. You need to plug something in to complete the circuit. All you have is a live and an earth ready and waiting for something to be plugged in and therefore complete the circuit. You can touch the live all day long, it won't do anything. Just don't short it to earth, else you'll blow the fuse!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

jimv50
    This user has no status
    Thanks for the further comments,what I meant was..how long do I leave the fridge plugged in before it drains the 7 year old battery...

Thread Information