Join Today

Thread: Turbo guage?

This user has no status
    Thanks

Turbo guage?

What does the standard dashboard turbo guage actually indicate?
    (If anyone replies "how much turbo you're using" I'll paint their T5 pink!).
    What does the guage measure?

Also, what does the "Airmix" actually do? (the heating system for those who are wondering...). What is it good for?

Little nagging questions these that delay my sleep!
    Last edited by Goof; Saturday 22nd January 2005 at 13:45.

Fun in the twisties!
    We take the "be polite" rule very seriously!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi, Goof, I'll let someone more expert answer the turbo question, but it must surely be the pressure the turbo is producing. On the V40 the pipe to it is teed off the pipe going to the ECU.
    The air mix should allow you to have cold air through the centre vents while you have heat everywhere else.
    Cheers, Chris.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Air mix is mixing the outside air with your heater system. As for the turbo question can you be a bit more specific??

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Nats - just wondered what the needle reading/movement was based on ~ pressure / boost / whatever...

Fun in the twisties!
    We take the "be polite" rule very seriously!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Goof,
    It measures Turbo Boost Pressure !!!!!!!!

Best Regards,
    Hamish.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Oh. Thanks!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Does anyone know why the V70 doesn't have a turbo gauge ? As it seems to me to be a usefull bit of kit for measuring the performance of the engine.
    How much are gauges to buy ? and are they difficult to fit ?
    Thanks, Steve.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Maybe Volvo felt with the V70 that displaying the boost pressure on an uncalibrated gauge was misleading or unnecesary - who knows?

Easiest way to install a gauge is
    Buy a TIM turbo gauge (~£20) from halfords
    In the kit comes a piece of clear plastic pressure piping (and a junction "T" piece)
    Remove the plastic throttle cover (single torx screw)
    You will see 6 nipples on a so called xmas tree arrangement.
    This is the start point - remove one of the nipples - the next bit is up to you but I found it relatively easy to buy a metre of fuel pipe (clear with the nylon criss cross thread in it) attach the larger diameter pipe to the xmas tree (use a small jubilee to hold it in place), blank on one end of the T piece with the spare nipple, and the other to the larger pipe and the other to the rest that came with kit. When positioning the pipe run through the engine bay be careful to ensure that the pipe does not rest on anything that will get hot or snag anything that rotates. The smaller diameter pipe can be threaded though the firewall. There is a flexble ducting with 4 nipples just behind the offside suspension turret which when prized out of the way provides an ideal hole.
    Remove the trim above the pedals in the driver's foot well (3 torx screws).
    Once you have started to feed the pressure pipe, you will need to reach up and behind the white relay/fuse box to reach it. Pull it through.

How you mount it the gauge is up to you. You can dash mount it either in a vent or a gap. I mounted mine in an A pillar mount (£20 from a local motor parts dealer). This will determine where you feed the pipe to. In the case of an A pillar mount, peel back some of the door sealer tp expose a gap - this will allow you to pull up the tube to a suitable position for that type of mount

Hope this helps
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Goof
    Nats - just wondered what the needle reading/movement was based on ~ pressure / boost / whatever...
    Hi goof, mrs mop has answered the airmix question, as for the turbo gauge..when the engine is off you notice the needle sits in the middle (between white and black) this is 14.7 psi (normal atmospheric air pressure).
    when the engine is started the needle drops into the black..this is negative pressure or vacuum! As you accelerate the needle heads towards white when the turbo is spooling up creating positive pressure..therefore a state of equilibrium, then once in the white it is boost pressure (above 14.7psi). Because the gauge is not calibrated there are no numbers.
    So as far as you are concerned, as long as you can HEAR the turbo whine and there is NO blue smoke from exhaust when accelerating under boost and the needle goes at least halfway into the white under hard acceleration then there is absolutely nothing wrong!!!!
    Hope this answers your question
    Last edited by LeeT5; Friday 28th January 2005 at 02:52.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the info Dave, purchased everything required. I am going to have a go this weekend. I'll let ya know if i get in a mess !!

Thread Information