Join Today
    Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts

Looks like the bullion is off the road for a while...

So after spending a small fortune on my car getting it to run as it should I've decided to throw the towel till after my wedding. I've noticed since its been holding boost the clutch is slipping more & more until its warmed up after a good few miles. The rear brakes need a complete overhaul & my tax runs out the end of this month. with my wedding some 10 weeks away with bills to pay & work being busier than ever I have no choice but to take her off the road & wait for everything to calm down.
    This has wound me up no end, largely because of comments passed about "buying sheds & spending a fortune" that were passed on here the other day, the fact I wanted to take the north west meet boys around our awesome roads, I wanted to bring the mrs home after the wedding in it & I'm now stuck with getting the awd system from Nottingham. Plus I'm stuck to driving a seat Ibiza again.
    Hopefully when it does come back mechanically it will be sorted but I do keep getting a ringing in my head of break it & get a lower mileage t5 & put the tasty bits on. I knew it was a long term project but I didn't anticipate all this.
    Sad biff today.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Weddings are expensive and stressful things mate. Best to get it out of the way so you can focus on the important things

When you look around the forums, most, if not all of the cars are sheds that have had a small (sometimes large) fortune spent on them.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Biff (Tuesday 2nd July 2013)

Clueless about Cars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 747 Posts
    Sorry to read this Dave, mine drives me mad at times aswell and i have been where you are now many times I also felt like giving up but decided to stick with it. The jobs will never end mate, you will always think of new mod's and then there is the general upkeep.
    Give yourself time to cool down and walk away from it.... see how you feel in a couple of weeks. You have a lovely motor it would be a shame to throw it all away after what you have been through. Owning an old Volvo is never going to be easy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iancho For This Useful Post:

Biff (Tuesday 2nd July 2013)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    The wedding is main priority mate, she's a diamond my mrs & I don't know what I'd do without her. I do love my R & have a vision in my head of how I want it looking, its just the fact it's done mega miles that keeps ringing in my head. Am I gonna be replacing major mechanical components forever or will I one day be able to stand back after a good polish & think I built that in admiration? Lol
    The major parts of my wedding are all paid for now with majority of the money paid. I wanted to whisk her off for a 5* honeymoon too so need a bit tucked away for that.
    So far without labour I've quoted
    £200 for rear brakes,
    £250 for clutch but pfv don't stock one for my chassis number so could be more... Gulp
    £300 for angle gear & prop (plus however much to get it too me now its parked up)
    £130 for tax.
    I could buy a low mileage c70 t5 for near enough that & put my turbo, clocks, bumper, wheels etc on that.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Meh.....
    Thanks
    £90 for awd collar from the box, then its paint & interior to sort.
    I must be mad. Lol
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iancho View Post
    .....owning an old Volvo is never going to be easy
    Ain't that the truth !

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

9. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

iancho (Tuesday 2nd July 2013)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Its unfortunate these cars are brought down in value by the negleted ones, Hence very easy to pick a 850/s/v70 up for £600 or so then spend £1,500 on it

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    Its unfortunate these cars are brought down in value by the negleted ones, Hence very easy to pick a 850/s/v70 up for £600 or so then spend £1,500 on it
    I knew it would need work & I've tried to replace everything its needed with genuine Volvo or uprated parts when its needed. The money aspect doesn't bother me as I hope by the time it's finished it will be as popular as the 855r & t5r. I love the way it drives, the awd & performance mods will make it a toy when needed & it has the capacity to carry my growing family around in safety. This is the newest project car I've owned, I much prefer oldskool tuning & methods & this was on the border being a late pre me7. It's got the capacity to carry basically all I need with my job. I do like it but its a kick in the teeth it's going to be sat at my mates unit. Lol
    Roll on September. What am I talking about breaking it.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

iancho (Tuesday 2nd July 2013)

Clueless about Cars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 747 Posts
    Thats the spirit Dave, stick with it mate!

I only put the juicy bits on my project thread as the problems would make it too long and boring and more often than not we all have related probs that can be read about elswhere. Focus on one job at a time like me... it took me nearly 3yrs to get mine in perfect running condition as i just didn't have the money so had to work at it slowly, dreaming of the days when the Bling could be added. I got there mate and you will too... Get the foundations solid then add the decorations!

Always something to do!!
    Thanks
    I know how you feel, mines been off the road since November and now doesn't start, she's solid and low milage, I'm just hoping soon I'll have the funds to put her right.

They are great cars and must soon be rare as there's soo many getting broken, what I don't get is nobody wants to buy these cars but when one gets broken the bits get snapped up!!!

Mines not getting broken........I hope!!

P.S. I know Gay Gold is supposed to be rare but how come when ever I look on E-bay there's always at least three on there (two AWD at the moment!) so not that rare!
    Last edited by Quicksilver; Tuesday 2nd July 2013 at 22:30.
    Steve

98 V70 R 2wd auto, RICA 310, strut brace, ITG filter. Soon to come out of mothball.
    99 BMW Z3, owned from new, 30k miles, Garage Queen.
    2005 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6, Current project.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Quicksilver For This Useful Post:

iancho (Wednesday 3rd July 2013)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Our V70r awd is in the garage at present as the 5 speed auto has started playing up, as some will know, will not be back on the road until 2014 if every goes to plan. God we miss that car, chin up it won't be long ( I hope )

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Lol seems to be a pattern with these v70r's here... Lets hope they all come back stronger eh?
    Mole is the difference so much noticeable compared to a fwd?
    The mrs has seen my bottom lip sticking out, done some sums & hopefully I can get the brakes ordered this weekend. I figure once they've been overhauled & bled properly the clutch may need bleeding again. After I had my split rear brake hose I only bled them the once so maybe it could be that given it only slips when cold, if that fails to work then I have no choice until after my wedding.
    Iancho I know what you mean, I can only afford so much every month & things like the exhaust & rad I've had to go without to afford those. Things will be very different after the wedding, unless I manage to fill the kiddie seat in the arm rest! Lol
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    I spent probably more than I paid for mine mate and I know what u saying but the weekends before I went to europe and had so many comments on the look and colour also kicked a few bums in it that paid for the effort.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsford G For This Useful Post:

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    Lol seems to be a pattern with these v70r's here... Lets hope they all come back stronger eh?
    Mole is the difference so much noticeable compared to a fwd?
    The mrs has seen my bottom lip sticking out, done some sums & hopefully I can get the brakes ordered this weekend. I figure once they've been overhauled & bled properly the clutch may need bleeding again. After I had my split rear brake hose I only bled them the once so maybe it could be that given it only slips when cold, if that fails to work then I have no choice until after my wedding.
    Iancho I know what you mean, I can only afford so much every month & things like the exhaust & rad I've had to go without to afford those. Things will be very different after the wedding, unless I manage to fill the kiddie seat in the arm rest! Lol
    I love the awd drive, but I only see the benefits when things get very slippy, things have to get real bad before a 2wd T5-R starts to struggle enough that I need the V70R, but that said the V70R is pin point when you want to gun some slippery snowy stuff. Its worth keeping your troubles are not that bad, its just the money thing ( I just see it as beer money, not that I can afford that either ) but I do have 3 to look after and some british things as well. You have to see ours some time, hopefully next year it will turn heads and waggle tongues

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

Thread Information