Join Today
Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast
    OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts

Project rust box time to save the gul

Originally mini me found this gul left in some ones front garden looking very sorry for its self so made an offer and managed to buy the car which was fantastic news after a week Wayne realised the cost involved getting this just half decent would be a small fortune and just didn't have the heart to sell his lovley t5 so decided he was going to sell the car.
    I had a word with Wayne and a price was agreed that we were both happy with so the car came into the work shop.

So the spec, its an original 1995 Volvo 850 t5r manual with 179k on the clock all original apart from some 40 mm lowering springs which will be going.

And the plan is to fully restore the car from ground up with all new parts bushes etc and to be used as my daily car this will be done over a year or two as I just don't have the time.

And the best bit piccys

And after a quick wash

After the wash I decided to spend the next 4 hours doing the interior but I don't have any finished piccys so will up date later
    But heres how it did look absoutly scruffy

I was really surprised how good the interior came up with a good wash also all the seats came up like new with a good dye and leather cream the plan for the interior will be just a case of having the front seats re trimed and all new foam apart from that I cannot fault it.
    Last edited by t5 pete; Saturday 29th June 2013 at 20:39.

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    After that I decided to see how good I could get the paint to come up I knew it would need a full respray but thought why not and it can show others what to d
    First was the roof this was all done by hand and came up really well

Then the bonnet this was done by the machine polisher and cutting compounds as it was totally a mess

After that I decided to put the car on the lift to inspect the under side and see what needed doing

Well quite a lot needs doing I have never seen a 850 with rust and rot like this it just goes to show parking them up on wet grass for long periods of time will batter the hell out of them
    To most people it wouldn't be worth doing but luckly I can do all the work my self so will save a lot of money

The floor pan here is really thin so will require a full new part

Even the main bracket for the real axel is rotting away

Rear beam

Rear shocker housing the fuel tank will be removed to see whats hiding under there

And that's about it for now next job will be to remove the side skirts to see what the cills look like as a few do tend to rot there.

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    On a quick note did every t5r come with a cd changer or not as this doesn't have one, I have looked at the bolt holes for the changer witch have never been touched also the wireing loom where the cd changer cable is normally routed through is undisturbed I also removed the head unit and it looks to have never been removed it has the plug in the back for the amp and aerial and that's it, it does have a extra radio plug doing nothing but theres no space left on the head unit for it to fit so weather that to bypass the amp I havent got a clue.

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    On a quick note did every t5r come with a cd changer or not as this doesn't have one, I have looked at the bolt holes for the changer witch have never been touched also the wireing loom where the cd changer cable is normally routed through is undisturbed I also removed the head unit and it looks to have never been removed it has the plug in the back for the amp and aerial and that's it, it does have a extra radio plug doing nothing but theres no space left on the head unit for it to fit so weather that to bypass the amp I havent got a clue.
    Pete, congratulations on doing a deal with Wayne for his gul, and I really look forward to watching you bring her back. Our cars must meet up when we're both sorted. Immingham is very happy that you've got one that isn't his...........

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foammanmark For This Useful Post:

Immingham (Saturday 29th June 2013),t5 pete (Saturday 29th June 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Good luck with this project, I have never seen an 850 with so much corrosion

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 850 T5s For This Useful Post:

t5 pete (Saturday 29th June 2013)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    youch i've never seen an 850 with front wings that bad, BT's lost here jacking points as well. As for the cd changer, no it wasn't standard (well i know of another T-5R that didn't have one fitted)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    youch i've never seen an 850 with front wings that bad, BT's lost here jacking points as well. As for the cd changer, no it wasn't standard (well i know of another T-5R that didn't have one fitted)
    Pedro your just full of great info lol I did wounder about the changer as nothing has been disturbed so must not have come with one but came with the passanger air bag lol tbh I just listen to the radio so im not missing much, as for the wing it was bad but I decided to see how bad with my foot and yes it was really bad

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foammanmark View Post
    Pete, congratulations on doing a deal with Wayne for his gul, and I really look forward to watching you bring her back. Our cars must meet up when we're both sorted. Immingham is very happy that you've got one that isn't his...........
    Cheers mark yeah once its finished it will be good to get the cars together but not our bananas together like you offered munster lol
    And yes Immingham is safe for now

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    I'm sure you can restore her to her former glory, and what a car she will be, I'll be following this with interest mate, good luck.

ps My T5-R did have a CD changer

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

13. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 850 T5s View Post
    Good luck with this project, I have never seen an 850 with so much corrosion
    It certainly has its fair share but nothing that cannot be fixed im even thinking of doing the new under seal in the same colour of the paint.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Pedro your just full of great info lol I did wounder about the changer as nothing has been disturbed so must not have come with one but came with the passanger air bag lol tbh I just listen to the radio so im not missing much, as for the wing it was bad but I decided to see how bad with my foot and yes it was really bad
    just had a look thru the press releases (LINK & LINK) & all they say is "cd changer compatible" so they didn't have them. Can't believe the automatic gearbox was a £935 option lol.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Cheers mark yeah once its finished it will be good to get the cars together but not our bananas together like you offered munster lol
    And yes Immingham is safe for now
    Lol yes, I sort of slipped on a Banana skin with the Wayne thing. My Gul has a cd changer, although untested at the moment.

Official Cake Baker
    I see stupid people
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 885 Posts
    Wow some project!!
    Can't believe the forum is going Gul mad

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinup_gal View Post
    Wow some project!!
    Can't believe the forum is going Gul mad
    You need to change your status thing to 'I want a yellow one!'

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    good luck mate

21. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    If your gonna do it up, then you may as well get it done in a decent colour.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    If your gonna do it up, then you may as well get it done in a decent colour.

tut tut tut typical bimmer driver lol

24. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Saturday 29th June 2013)

your mars a welder

Thanks
    brave man for tryin to save that , a know welding costs a fair amount so doing it your self will be ideal , ad probs RWD it whie the floors got loads of holes lol , nice sideways 5pot action uncle pete lol

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leet5r View Post
    brave man for tryin to save that , a know welding costs a fair amount so doing it your self will be ideal , ad probs RWD it whie the floors got loads of holes lol , nice sideways 5pot action uncle pete lol
    Cheers lee its not too bad just abit or work involved ide love to convert one to rwd but this isn't the car for it also I want it as a daily so no modding I just want a nice smooth comfy t5 to knock about in

27. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

leet5r (Saturday 29th June 2013)

happy
    Thanks
    Following with interest peter
    Old Cars: Mazda6, Laguna 2.2, S40 T4, Passat 1.8t, Celica GT4, Legacy GTB, Golf VR6, S70 2.5t, C70 T5
    Current Car:850t5

Thread Information