Join Today
    230K, aiming for 300k!

Thanks

No aircon and Dipstick fumes

I have posted previously about sorting my alternator which I was told had a noisy bearing or two. Long story short, I've been too busy, until wednesday this week when I noticed a deep rhythmic rumbling from the engine bay. So I've organised a new alternator from GSF which is awaiting collection.

However. On my way home this evening my air con has stopped blowing cold. Have I been barking up the wrong tree? The air con compressor has always shounded a bit violent and noisy when it kicks in and out, but it has always blown cold until now. Could the rumbling noise in fact be my air con compressor? Why else would the aircon pack up?

More worryingly (because I can't explain it apart from apocalyptic engine problems pending) when I had a look under the bonnet with the engine idling to identify the culprit, there are fumes eminating from my dipstick, even though the dipstick is firmly in place. This says to me crankcase breather problems. Has anyone had any experience of this? What are the possible causes? What are the possible fixes?

Apart from that, the car has ticked over 230,000 miles this week and is still going strong.... apart from that injector problem which is getting worse I'm sure.... and maybe the clutch might be due soon... and the air con compressor/ alternator...........

Edit: N00b mistake! Car is 2003 V70 D5
    Last edited by JimmyBurnWorld; Friday 28th June 2013 at 17:31.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Firstly, the Fumes (or white chuffing smoke ) from your dipstick does indeed indicate a breather problem. On a P2 your looking at £155 for parts if you wanna replace the entire PCV system. You could just check the banjo bolt under the alternator as these block up. However, with 230k on the clock I'd replace the lot!

Secondly, you need to buy yourself a cheap stethoscope from a motor factors. Use it to listen to the suspect noisy bearing. You can do this with the engine running and touch the end onto, or as near to the offending bearing. Then go to the next one, ie Power steering pump. You will notice a difference in noise becasue the pump sounds different, but if the bearing is shot on the Alternator then it will almost deafen you with the stethoscope attached to your ears!!

You may be able to get onto the Air-con compressor but access is difficult.

Be very careful when the engine is on as it will mangle your hand if you get it trapped in the Aux belt.

That's how i diagnosed my Alternator last year. Once replaced, silence is indeed Golden.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

230K, aiming for 300k!

Thanks
    Does the D5 have a PCV? I'm guessing it has some sort of crankcase ventilation. Just done a bit of googling and now I'm scared. Either I've got a worn piston ring, cracked head or I'm in a coma. Any help appreciated!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Yes it does have a breather system. May be different to petrol but still has a breather system. I would check your egr valves not partially blocked.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    You could just check the banjo bolt under the alternator as these block up.
    Oh JESUS!!! A simple job in theory, but a monumental pain in the ar3e!! Dunno if D5 is different, hopefully easier!!! Worth doing though. There is a 'how to' by MRP on here. Its for a petrol right enough, but may be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Secondly, you need to buy yourself a cheap stethoscope from a motor factors. Use it to listen to the suspect noisy bearing.
    Yep, just done this with my old Shogun and diagnosed a knackered water pump. As Lee says, be careful if it starts screaming as this will deafen you!

Does sound like your compressor might have expired though.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    I didn't realise his was a diesel. I don't think it has the same PCV set up with the banjo but i might be wrong. Diesels are a completely different kettle of fish.

230K, aiming for 300k!

Thanks
    Air con seems to be working again today. That aside I've done a bit of digging regarding crankcase ventilation. I came across this video on youtube:

However I can't tell if the car being worked on is a D5 or not. I have had a look at my engine and I appear to have a similar box on the front side of the engine. Weather depending I might spend tomorrow stripping it out to have a look and a cleanout, that's if it doesn't require faffing with the high pressure fuel lines.

I know on the Petrol Volvos a blocked PCV can cause rough idling. Would the same ring true for a diseasel?

One more good bit of news. I managed to rub my rear nearside door down a concrete bollard today (one of those sneaky 2ft high ones). Oh happiness!

Thread Information