Join Today
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenevans99 View Post
    Efficiency of the air con will be reduced as the condenser is now shielded by the FMIC.....not by much and most likely unnoticeable.
    the rumour is that the air con blows colder with this mod....haven't tried it myself...yet

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    The air con needs to work fractionally harder not only due to the condensor now being shielded by the intercooler which reduces the airflow, but also because the consensor will suffer heat soak being placed next to the radiator.

In everyday driving conditions, you'd struggle to notice any difference - you may notice a slight dip in ac performance when stationary or in slow moving traffic when airflow is at it's minimum.

Only a very small compromise though when compared to the benefits of the fmic.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    The air con needs to work fractionally harder not only due to the condensor now being shielded by the intercooler which reduces the airflow, but also because the consensor will suffer heat soak being placed next to the radiator.

In everyday driving conditions, you'd struggle to notice any difference - you may notice a slight dip in ac performance when stationary or in slow moving traffic when airflow is at it's minimum.

Only a very small compromise though when compared to the benefits of the fmic.
    I am just referring to a discussion I had with Tim - he mentioned a possible 2 degree drop in AC temp at the vents with this. Of course depends on conditions. Such is his rep I am quite happy to give it a go assuming I can get this S60 extracted from Qatar

Where is AC is fitted, all of our (Volvo) intercooler/radiators/condensers are squashed up together with the possible exception of Claymore. For my S70 I have some 12 mm (?) spacers to move the intercooler away from the radpack a little

Agree there are better positions for intercoolers though my 5 turbo has an twin fan alloy radiator at the front and the Renault Sport intercooler at the back - good for an 8 degree drop in water temps.....can't find the AC.....
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Tuesday 12th August 2014 at 09:42.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    FWIW, my climate temp setting was always set to 22*C as that was the most comfortable.
    Now it's set to 24*C!
    The condensor does not suffer from heat soak as much as you think because with the FMIC installed you have to remove all the plastic side and top bits that trap all the air, especially the large piece that was attached to the cross member.
    Heat is no not trapped and I suppose air flow is improved with the larger holes on the FMIC.
    Either way, I've had to turn up the Climate temp to keep the car comfortable inside. At 22*C it's a little too cold and uncomfortable!
    Other ppl that have had the TW FMIC fitted have also noiticed the same.
    Also remember that even thou the condensor is now sandwiched between the Rad and IC, it's now sitting closer to the Rad fan. I suppose this means more air is able to contact the condensor from the fan when stationary.
    I also gave the condensor a good clean with a brush and water and also some degreaser. It was about 40% clogged up with dust and dirt before hand.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Tuesday 12th August 2014 at 09:48. Reason: missing info
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    The ac condensor is always fitted at the very front of the rad pack, the S60R does have the smaller supplementary intercooler that sits in front of the condensor.

22 degreesC isn't cold btw

Vent temperature should be 5-6 degree celcius...unless you're in mine

I suggest testing the vent temp with a digital probe just to compare.
    Last edited by stephenevans99; Tuesday 12th August 2014 at 09:51.

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    FWIW, my climate temp setting was always set to 22*C as that was the most comfortable.
    Now it's set to 24*C!
    The condensor does not suffer from heat soak as much as you think because with the FMIC installed you have to remove all the plastic side and top bits that trap all the air, especially the large piece that was attached to the cross member.
    Heat is no not trapped and I suppose air flow is improved with the larger holes on the FMIC.
    Either way, I've had to turn up the Climate temp to keep the car comfortable inside. At 22*C it's a little too cold and uncomfortable!
    Other ppl that have had the TW FMIC fitted have also noiticed the same.
    I thought the point of climate control was to keep the temp at a set level. Would the system when set to 22 pre and post mods not still be 22? It would just have to work harder to stay at 22 no?
    Thanks
    Martyn

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    The ac condensor is always fitted at the very front of the rad pack, the S60R does have the smaller supplementary intercooler that sits in front of the condensor.

22 degreesC isn't cold btw

Vent temperature should be 5-6 degree celcius...unless you're in mine

I will let you know what my vent temp is today.
    The point I was making is that the air blowing out is now slightly colder! That's why it's now set to 24*C to allow for the decrease in temp out the vents.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    I thought the point of climate control was to keep the temp at a set level. Would the system when set to 22 pre and post mods not still be 22? It would just have to work harder to stay at 22 no?
    Yes....It's the efficiency that's affected....the ac has to work harder to maintain a low temperature.

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts

You have my first ever parrot. Good bit of kit that
    Thanks
    Martyn

10. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

stephenevans99 (Tuesday 12th August 2014)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    I will let you know what my vent temp is today.
    The point I was making is that the air blowing out is now slightly colder! That's why it's now set to 24*C to allow for the decrease in temp out the vents.
    Surely even if the AC is working more efficiently you shouldn't have to change the temperature on the climate control, as it's regulated by the in car temperature sensor.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Surely even if the AC is working more efficiently you shouldn't have to change the temperature on the climate control, as it's regulated by the in car temperature sensor.
    it's not a swiss watch - it's a closed loop control system with some lag in feedback. The ac will work by monitoring cabin temp then blasting out (much) colder air from the vents until the temperature sensors see the requested value

Assuming the AC is working 'better' then this air will be colder for a short time even without moving the dial from 22 or whatever

...here we go again...
    Thanks

Cold enough for you! that's 1*C for those that can't understand the reading from a multimeter.
    That's with one vent open, fans full speed and engine at 2000rpm.

1*C was lowest reading. It fluctuates between 1 and 4*C as the compressor kicks in and out.

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Lol....been in the freezer?

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Lol....been in the freezer?
    Err, no! I got in my car, stuffed the sensor in the vent, started my car and idled for five minutes then checked temp. The meter is sat on my left leg in the car. The meter was pulled out a draw from my garage.
    There's not a fridge or freezer for 50yds!

its very accurate too. Shoots up to 30*C as soon as you touch the end. Reading is instant and digital.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Tuesday 12th August 2014 at 16:38.

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Excellent results then... Well done. I must be wrong saying the ac is less efficient with the condenser next to the rad. Learn something new every day.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Excellent results then... Well done. I must be wrong saying the ac is less efficient with the condenser next to the rad. Learn something new every day.
    Could it be the new intercooler is per-cooling the air before it hits the condenser ?,how litres of air travel through the intercooler at tickover that's got to be worth something.
    Anyhow I think I need something else on my shopping list for mine now..
    Last edited by Harvey; Tuesday 12th August 2014 at 19:35.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Good write up Lee.
    I think personally i'll keep the R as it is and have a holiday instead.lol

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Good write up Lee.
    I think personally i'll keep the R as it is and have a holiday instead.lol
    I think you mean holidays ! , I am in too minds what to do with mine now as have done almost all the jobs I want to do ,BUT there is always something else .(must resist at all costs).

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

Jimmie (Tuesday 12th August 2014)

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Great write up Lee. You have given me a few pointers with some of my issues. Got car going to Volvo for a smoke test. Dreading the results for that......... Am going to check those little one way vac valves though. Might be a cheap fix!!
    Me: 2005 V70 2.4 T5 SE. All standard.
    The Wife: 2008 C70 2.5 T5 SE. All standard.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to silverhorse For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Wednesday 13th August 2014)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Efficiency of the air con will be reduced as the condenser is now shielded by the FMIC.....not by much and most likely unnoticeable.
    compare how tall the TW intercooler is compared to the factory one. I'm interested to see what insurance companies say about drilling the crossbar if you were to have a front-end crash

Thread Information