Join Today
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    ...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    I also fitted a new Inlet manifold gasket....

PCV breather box fitted and C-clips used where possible.
    The breather box lower pipe is now modified. The one I removed was just a piece of rubber hose with two clamps, the new one is shiny solid stainless steel pipe that just 'press fits'.
    One thing to note: When Volvo supply you with the PCV breather kit it comes with two hollow screws. They have the same part# and look identical. Both have a small split pin in the end and a tiny 'rattle' type affair inside. When trying to work out what the rattle was for I quickly realized it must be a one way valve. Sure enough, it is.
    This next part is very important....
    when you remove this hollow screw from the right side of the cylinder head...

....you must make sure you clean and refit it. This hollow screw does not have a one way valve because its to allow the coolant flow. DO NOT under any circumstances fit the Volvo supplied hollow screw, otherwise your car will over heat!
    The hollow screw with the rattle is only meant for the Inlet manifold tubing. Its to prevent the breather system breathing the wrong way when idling.
    I tried to get an answer from Volvo UK on the matter but they basically fobbed me off saying I would need to consult with one of the technicians at a cost of £3 a minute!!
    After I spoke with my dealer and MRG they were both clueless.

Here is the hollow screw that you fit to the Inlet manifold only!...

new breather box and inlet manifold in place...

I also fitted a new Thermostat assembly which comes complete with Thermostat, Temperature sensor and housing. New Thermostat assembly gasket, new ETM gasket.
    I cleaned the ETM, stripped down the fuel rail, removed and fitted new injector seals and lubricated with Vaseline ready for fitting.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 2nd June 2014 at 20:33.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    FYI the hollow screw as you call it is a banjo bolt. Please use fresh copper washers when putting it back in.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

claymore (Tuesday 12th August 2014)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    FYI the hollow screw as you call it is a banjo bolt. Please use fresh copper washers when putting it back in.
    I did use new copper washers. Good advise thou.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Lee, when removing ETM to clean, is a new gasket a must?
    Me: 2005 V70 2.4 T5 SE. All standard.
    The Wife: 2008 C70 2.5 T5 SE. All standard.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post
    Lee, when removing ETM to clean, is a new gasket a must?
    Not really. Thou my ETM has been removed and cleaned three times since owning and it was getting a little ragged round the edges. Plus, the gasket has a crush element built into it, same as the Thermostat assembly gasket. When you tighten the unit it crushes the gasket and forms a uniform seal. Technically, they are use once, but on the ETM not so critical. Definitely use once on the Thermostat assembly otherwise you risk a coolant leak. I just replaced mine because I've no intention of removing it any time soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

silverhorse (Wednesday 4th June 2014)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thought I'd update as it's been a while (a few of you know why!).

I hit a massive brick wall whilst in the process of replacing my PCV system....

Cracked Intercooler!!!

So, without further ado...made some calls....4 weeks later....this arrived....

I still had half my engine parts laying on the floor...

Off to work now. Update later.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 11th August 2014 at 23:52.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    So....I now had a very big expensive cardboard box in my lounge. First, I had to strip out my old IC.

Front nose cone off....

Auxillery IC off...

Next, get my drill and drill out the spot welds for the front cross member. Drill 3mm pilot hole then 8mm drill bit. This is aluminium so care must be taken....

Cross member, power steering cooler, IC and slam panel removed...

Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 11th August 2014 at 23:54.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Now the best bit!!!

Developed by Mr Tim Williams, quality Core from Holland and the IC fabricated by A+H Fabrication Motorsports in Liecestershire....

New next to old....

Now for the fitting.....
    I'm not going to explain in detail how this is done, it would take too long. There is so much fettling and jigging about when installing, TBH its self explanitary and you won't need me to tell you how to fit if your already at this stage because you'll be competant enough to work it out yourself.
    One thing I will say is DO NOT RUSH!!!!!

Mounting points....

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    So, is it all back together, have you improved my car, or just added some bling? TBH it looks more of a ball ache looking at the pictures, than it would be with all the parts and just getting on with it.
    Last edited by stribo; Tuesday 12th August 2014 at 00:30.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    I bought a new BPS as they've been superseeded....
    It needs to be modified slightly as the screw is not long enough. For this I used a dremel and just ground down the excess plastic...

Superseeded new BPS on the right...

Modified...

Looking at the base of the Air dryer from underneath and the lower left IC mounting point...

Had to buy a new dremel to do the following mods so that the fill port for the air con could be accessed...

Fresh air snorkel modified....

Power steering bolts ground off as they fouled on the IC when refitted...

Last edited by LeeT5; Tuesday 12th August 2014 at 00:48.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    So, is it all back together, have you improved my car, or just added some bling? TBH it looks more of a ball ache looking at the pictures, than it would be with all the parts and just getting on with it.
    Not sure what you mean?

yes car is back together. Of course it's improved!!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Before the IC is mounted you will need to carefully bend the Reciever dryer towards you about 1". Otherwise, the back of the IC will foul on the Reciever dryer.

I then removed the black plastic piece shown on the rear of the cross member. It is no longer needed and fouls the IC anyway!

Using the supplied (when you ask nicely) fitting kit, sent in the post seperately....

...You'll then need to refit the cross member..

Then refit the power steering cooler and plastic bit that holds the bonnet locks...

Replaced the nose cone side panels as mine were brittle and caked in crap with rusty screws on the adjuster...

Refit slam panel. Refit nose cone (remembering to plug in the fog lights before bolting up)...

Here she is finished...

Please don't think that the IC is pissed, cos it's not! The mouth portion of the front bumper is slightly out of shape from where the previous owner kept parking too close to kerbs and managed to bend it. Luckily, it's not cracked and I will eventually mould it back into shape by way of fixing rivets on the bottom of the bumper and by packing out the mouth piece with huge bubble wrap whilst heating the plastic with a heat gun. I've managed to mould it quite a bit and it's almost there.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Tuesday 12th August 2014),Harvey (Tuesday 12th August 2014),silverhorse (Wednesday 13th August 2014),stribo (Tuesday 12th August 2014)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Cleaned my Blue engine/timing belt covers (they were pretty filthy)..

(Were now up to Beginning of July)

Day two of driving revealed some issues. Boost issues...

Namely constant fault codes relating to boost and air leaks. Car went off to main dealer for a smoke leak test and they found two leaks. MAF to Turbo pipe and TCV redline at the Turbo. Both replaced, car now drives fine but won't boost over 5-7 psi. WEIRD!!! Volvo now fixed ECM130A MAF/Air leak code but as my MAF has never been changed (by me) in 4 years I figured it wouldn't hurt to replace it. So I found a brand new, sealed in a Bosch box, MAF unit on eBay for a whopping £89 delivered!!

Faults remaining are ECM6805.

Car no longer goes into limp mode but it just will not boost over 5-7psi. I sometimes see a 10psi spike but otherwise 5-7psi.

Many hours speaking to some very knowledgeable ppl, trawling the internet and reading up on ME7.1 Turbo systems to make sure I'm fully conversent in they're operation.

I finally decided that If I couldn't find the fault then it would go to MRG but before then, I replaced these....as I discovered that they were not working as they should....

Just to be clear, these are Purge valves or Vacuum valves and there are two in the purge lines. One under the manifold and one to the right of the head.
    After removing and cheacking each one by simply blowing though them I found them both to be leaking air in the direction that they should seal. This will give you an internal air leak and also a MAF code.
    I bought them from Mercedes-Benz for £3.95 each rather than pay £80 plus vat for Volvo complete purge hose with two valves already fitted...

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Vacuum valves fitted...

These made a good improvement and Boost finally increased to 10psi.
    Car would idle better and generally drive much better.....but only 10psi boost??
    My Forge CBV has the 10psi rated spring and if I disconnect the TCV i see 10psi all day!

more research, trawling, speaking to ppl in the know....

Purchased one of these...

Used it to test the Boost line from the Manifold to the gauge.....no pressure!

Bought a cheap £7 gauge of eBay to compare and test against IPD gauge that is fitted in my car. LOL, that was crap. It worked but it was miles out!! 4psi out using the Mityvac!
    So I threw it in the bin and removed my IPD gauge and tested...
    Vacuum

Pressure

it was 0.6psi out on Boost and only 0.1psi out on vac. I'm happy with that as it's minimal. So the gauge is working but the line to the gauge obviously leaks...
    Door stripped...

I haven't got a photo but I found a 1" split in the IPD 3mm OD PTFE pipe just as it ran into the inner wing. I could just hear it leaking using the Mityvac, so I then replaced the entire PTFE pipe with a more flexible black Nylon 3mm OD pipe. Problem solved!!!

The car now boosts as it should. 16psi up to 3,000rpm then go beyond that and the needle flies round to 20psi!!

Remember that boost on ME7.1 is torque dependent and controlled by the ECU via the TCV and BPS.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    (Now were up to end of July)

I had to return the car to stock, including removing the BSR map and installing the stock map, in order to diagnose and rectify the boost leaks - so the car was looking like this...

After a week of driving I'm now seeing this...

My AMS system was removed from the car so I decided to repair it and give it a spruce up. Using some industrial strength glue (not available to the general public) I had a family member help me rectify the cracks using a special liquid solution for the cracks and seperate glue for strengthening and preventing further cracks...

Removed Elevate decal, rubbed down, primed and repainted...

Top coat...

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    BSR map now back on the car. AMS system refitted (sorry, but I just missed the induction noise so much!!) It's infectious!!

In the mean time I've fitted new Subframe bolts and vibration washers (mine were thrown away by mistake when fitting the bush inserts and the thread on the bolts were looking a bit ropey in places)...

Couldn't stand the old, dirty bottle after I replaced the coolant during the IC install, so I fitted a newer (modified/superseeded) one, from Volvo + a new (Superseeded) level sensor...

Before

After

The newer bottle raises the P/S reservoir up slightly, away from the ECU cover.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Large BSR badge (left side) delete...

Refit smaller BSR badge (right side)...

Car as she is at the moment...

Night Night!!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Tuesday 12th August 2014),Harvey (Tuesday 12th August 2014)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Nice updates

One of the benefits of the TW larger intercooler will be increased efficiency of the air con

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Efficiency of the air con will be reduced as the condenser is now shielded by the FMIC.....not by much and most likely unnoticeable.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Jeez... reading that was hard work... good job there were pictures!

Nice work dude.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Tuesday 6th January 2015)

Thread Information