Join Today
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast
    ...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

Engine overhaul

Been some time since I posted. Ongoing boost issue still not resolved but seeing as she's now due a timing belt, I thought I'd get that sorted first before progressing.

So, on 26th of this month I'm taking her to Tim Williams to have the following work carried out;

• Block shimmed
    • Valve stem oil seals replaced
    • New piston rings
    • Timing belt and tensioner kit
    • New water pump

I'll then need to take a gentle drive back while the new rings bed in, then drop the oil and refill with quality stuff again.

Whilst this is being done, it'll be far easier to get to the CBV and red vac line to make sure it's clean and not blocked. Also, hopefully give the CBV a quick service and regrease

Until then I'll just try not to boost over 15 psi
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Ric@rdo (Saturday 15th September 2018)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Finally fitted new fan to Subwoofer Amp in the boot:

and replaced my old rusty bracket for the fuel filter:

Lee,
    While replacing my battery a couple of days ago, I noticed that the fan on my subwoofer was a bit noisier. I did remember reading about this mod on your thread .
    Are you still happy today with this fan model? By your photo I was able to find the fan online. Would you still recommend it?
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noise...fg-042-nb.html

Cheers!

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Yes.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Ric@rdo (Sunday 12th May 2019)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks!

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Hi everyone, it's been a while. Been busy with one thing and another and in between that...Life just gets in the way!

Anyway, thought I'd update on my car so far.

Name:  49540110498_0850b8b60f_h.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  276.3 KB

Bought new Engine brace bushes and fitted PF inserts. Removed my solid Alloy IPD bushes and fitted the new uprated OE bushes. Reason: Dedicated Ultra Racing front strut brace fitted.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Sunday 16th February 2020 at 03:18.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

kmb (Monday 17th February 2020)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Very interested on your feedback on the Ultra once it beds in. Got the PF inserts but need to know if can improve the brace.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluwale View Post
    Very interested on your feedback on the Ultra once it beds in. Got the PF inserts but need to know if can improve the brace.
    Not sure what you mean by 'beds in'?
    It's a solid brace. Sorry, if I can sort out Photobucket issue I will update more photos.

Basically, I've removed the IPD solid engine brace brackets from the stock brace. Installed OE brackets and fitted PF bushes to the brackets, which stiffen up the brace hugely. You don't get any engine vibration in the cabin as the engine is still isolated somewhat.
    I then installed a new Ultra Racing front strut brace, which sits behind the OE engine brace bar.

Results are fantastic! Steering feel is improved, feels more positive and lighter but without any of the engine vibration associated with solid engine brace brackets.

...here we go again...
    Thanks

Ultra Brace mod + Engine brace refresh

OK. Finally sorted the Photobucket issue (deleted 100's of photos not needed and videos that I've already got saved on my Hard disk - storage reduced to 16%).

So, I originally had these solid IPD brackets installed. They did result in some engine vibration coming into the cabin, so I decided to rectify this issue...

Professional Parts Sweden Poly inserts fitted into stock Engine brace brackets.

Ultra Racing strut brace fitted.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Wednesday 26th February 2020 at 15:45.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    I swapped out the old pen holder for a second hand 'New' one (these are virtually impossible to find now - I got lucky!)..

Before...

After...

I bought this little lot for an end of year refresh...

Installed air guide splash protectors...

Before..

After...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

pepinosport (Monday 2nd March 2020),Ric@rdo (Wednesday 26th February 2020)

...here we go again...
    Thanks

FMIC protection grille

Finally installed my FMIC protection...(Now I can breath a sigh of relief everytime I drive)...

Updated the old style wheel caps with the latest style...

Before..

After..

I also resprayed the brake discs as they were starting to look tired...

...here we go again...
    Thanks

Rear bumper trim refresh

I was surprised to find out just how cheap the rear bumper trims are from Volvo. All 3 parts for a little under £100.
    Takes 5 minutes to remove old trim using a Boning tool (no need to remove rear bumper).

New trims fitted and treated with 303 Aerospace protectant.... Check out those beads!!

How she sits now...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Wednesday 26th February 2020),Ric@rdo (Wednesday 26th February 2020)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Nice updates Lee. I had no idea of the existence of the air guide splash protectors.

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Looking good Lee.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Thursday 27th February 2020)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    I like those new wheel centres, never liked the blue part behind the Volvo badge so may also make the change!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thought I'd update you all.

Last week I finally had my clutch/SMF combo installed. What a balls ache it was, well, not for me but for the garage anyway!

The long story - short......

Drove down to Kings Motor Services in Westbury at stupid o'clock in the morning on Monday (with the girlfriend - as we were making a short break of it). Arrived at 0930 and handed over the keys to ma car (nervously) and they handed me the keys to an S60 2.0T...sweet!! Off we went to BATH, to spend the day sightseeing, followed by an overnight at Bannatynes Charlton House Spa Hotel in Shepton Mallet. Loverly!!! I'll have a Swedish massage thankyou!

Next day.... Rang garage at 1100 for update...
    They'd literaly just got back from a very short road test. Result was the clutch was slipping at very low revs and the clutch pedal felt very odd at the bottom. It was now back on the ramps and the gearbox being removed to inspect/investigate the issue.
    (Now I'm stressed and looking forwards to my Swedish massage!)

Eventually, they found the problem. One that I wasn't aware of, neither was Elk Performance or Don at Kalmar Union.

Apparantly, after I rang TTV (whom makes the flywheel) I spoke with Ben, a very helpful chap, who went on to explain the differences between the early 03-04 clutch and the later 05-07 clutch. The early clutch was not compatible with the TTV flywheel. This was because the clutch adjuster had not released due to insufficient clearance.
    There's only a few mm in it, but I ended up having to install the later clutch kit form an 05-07 R. SO, despite the fact I had to pay the labour twice Kings did me a really cheap rate on labour and supplied the clutch kit at cost to help keep the bill down
    It's worth noting that the springs on the later clutch are significantly larger, the pressure plate fingers are stronger and there's no cage on the back of the fingers to prevent the CSC travelling too far.

Works carried out:

Strip out and replace clutch kit, CSC, rear main seal and DMF with later clutch kit and TTV SMF.

Parts:

Sub frame bolts x4
    Gearbox seal x1
    Rear main seal x1
    Volvo clutch kit #VOL31359568 x1
    Flywheel bolts x10
    Clutch cover bolts x8
    Driveshaft retaining bolts x2
    Bottom ball joint retaining nuts x2
    Driveshaft insulator x2
    Driveshaft seal x2
    Brembo Dot 5.1 clutch/brake fluid 500ml.

Summary

Gone is the surging under mild acceleration. Gone is the slipping at peak torque. Gone is the judder when taking up drive and best of all....gone is the backlash in the driveline which resulted in a dull 'clonk' when taking up drive and getting the biting point.

Now the pedal is lovely and light with a subtle bit of give at the bottom as the CSC overcomes the clutch pressure plate force.
    Biting point is perfect, just up from the bottom of the pedal travel.
    I can now pull away smoothly and progressively and application of the throttle is much more responsive due to the lightened mass of the flywheel! Acceleration is much more brutal than before too!

The trade off with having a SMF is often gearbox chatter and a subtle rattle on idle. I'm very pleased to say that I have no chatter on idle at all! This is a result of using a thicker gear oil...Redline 75W140NS. Many thanks to Don and Ashok for their advice on this.
    I also had a Gold magnetic plug installed along with new driveshaft seals, new rear main seal, new CSC seal, new driveshaft damper seals (the ones that fit inside the front hub assembly).

Gear changes are smoother, slicker and more positive.
    The odd, subtle vibration I had at around 60-70mph has now also gone!

When switching the engine off, it dies much quicker as there's less inertia, and it now starts much quicker on crank.

The result is a resounding success and to say I'm pleased, is an understatement!
    A first for Kings Motor Services in Westbury, whom did a cracking job....they even washed my car for me, even though it wasn't that dirty as I'd already washed it the day before. Cheers guys!!
    A big thankyou to Ashok at Elk Performance for supplying me the bits (not inc SMF) and a big thankyou to Don at Kalmar Union for his aftersales care

.................The drive home was an absolute gem!

To anyone else thinking about going SMF/stock clutch - I highly recommend it!

I just need to have a four wheel alignment which I'll do next month, when the winters go on.

Right....what's next?
    Hi Lee,
    I haven't made the use of this forum that I should have since joining 2 years ago, but I have been aware of your name and this thread along with a few others from the occasions that I have checked in to find something technical that the Facebook pages are lamentably bad at. I am very grateful for the above post in particular, but likely many others once I've been through the whole build.

I am currently faced with my V70R house-bound for a while as the slave cylinder decided to empty its contents on Saturday. Since then I've been doing some digging to see what the best options are for replacement and have been considering a TTV single mass flywheel with either a stock or uprated clutch. Can I ask how you have found the smf+stock setup over the time you've had it? I see you've gone for a heavier gearbox oil which I've seen a few people, mainly in the US, recommending. Has this caused any issues beyond quietening the chatter? Any input much appreciated!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Humph View Post
    Hi Lee,
    I haven't made the use of this forum that I should have since joining 2 years ago, but I have been aware of your name and this thread along with a few others from the occasions that I have checked in to find something technical that the Facebook pages are lamentably bad at. I am very grateful for the above post in particular, but likely many others once I've been through the whole build.

I am currently faced with my V70R house-bound for a while as the slave cylinder decided to empty its contents on Saturday. Since then I've been doing some digging to see what the best options are for replacement and have been considering a TTV single mass flywheel with either a stock or uprated clutch. Can I ask how you have found the smf+stock setup over the time you've had it? I see you've gone for a heavier gearbox oil which I've seen a few people, mainly in the US, recommending. Has this caused any issues beyond quietening the chatter? Any input much appreciated!
    Hi,

The 140NS grade Gearbox oil quietens the chatter at idle from the SMF. If you use stock oil, it will be noisier.
    The 2007 Clutch kit married to the TTV SMF is an absolute joy!! Super fast engine crank, huge improvement in throttle response due to less inertia and the pedal is as light as any other new clutch would be.
    Smooth progressive take up of drive with no issues whatsoever so far.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Humph (Thursday 3rd September 2020)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi,

The 140NS grade Gearbox oil quietens the chatter at idle from the SMF. If you use stock oil, it will be noisier.
    The 2007 Clutch kit married to the TTV SMF is an absolute joy!! Super fast engine crank, huge improvement in throttle response due to less inertia and the pedal is as light as any other new clutch would be.
    Smooth progressive take up of drive with no issues whatsoever so far.
    That's a brilliant help, thanks Lee! The garage I trust for mods weren't so sure they would recommend the smf but only because they mainly deal with Japanese street stuff. I don't mind loosing a little bit of finesse if it makes the car a better experience to drive: it's for fun and not a daily driver!

I was also considering swapping in a Quaife diff while the gearbox is out but that might be a step to far at the moment.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    That's a brilliant help, thanks Lee! The garage I trust for mods weren't so sure they would recommend the smf but only because they mainly deal with Japanese street stuff. I don't mind loosing a little bit of finesse if it makes the car a better experience to drive: it's for fun and not a daily driver!

I was also considering swapping in a Quaife diff while the gearbox is out but that might be a step to far at the moment.
    The the TTV flywheel and 07 clutch kit will be perfect for you.

**NOTE: I cannot stress enough the importance of fitting the later 07 clutch kit to the TTV flywheel. It's not only mechanically stronger than the earlier 03>05 clutch kit but the earlier part is not compatible with the TTV SMF. If fitted, your biting point will be extremely high and hardly any pedal travel.**

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Great idea, I run a Quaife in my olive T-5R, though only fwd it totally transforms the drive when your pushing it on a bit more than just normal pootling about, I'd would imagine with awd it will be even better, if have the cash available when I manual swap my v70r, I would seriously consider fitting one whilst she's in bits

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status

Thanks
    I had seen from a few sources, not least yourself Lee, that the stack height of the TTV flywheel only suits the later clutch 31367642 (from chassis number 530000 and up), though my car has the later style clutch already being a 2006. Shem has suggested going with a more aggressively resurfaced friction plate so I'm waiting to hear back from him with a price for the complete kit. Unfortunately because I do my own maintenance I can't get a parts and labour recovery policy to tap me in!

I'm just not sure I can justify the expense of splitting the box and replacing all the bearings along with fitting a Quaife, which would probably be in the region of £1.5k. I don't think I would see that much of a benefit over stock with it being awd already unless I were tracking it regularly.

Thread Information