Join Today
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    ...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

Update:

1. Fit 6000k HID fog lights - (COMPLETE)
    2. 3" downpipe --(in the new year)
    3. 200 cell race cat --(in the new year)
    4. Fit Volvotech CFE --(COMPLETE)
    5. Handbrake mod --(in the new year)
    6. Replace windscreen --(in the spring)
    7. New leather OE gear knob --(still waiting....)
    8. Refit rear mudflaps --(COMPLETE)
    9. Fit magnetic engine oil drain plug on next service --(in garage)
    10. IPD Rear adjustable toe rods --(Need to order)
    11. IPD DEM alloy cover --(need to order)
    12. IPD Billet blue alloy engine oil cap. --(need to order)
    13. larger exhaust tips
    14. Fuel filter bracket and bolt -- (COMPLETE)
    15. Fit stock air box once acrylic window mod -- (COMPLETE - Awaiting AMS removal)
    16. Fit Blue Jetex cotton filter -- (COMPLETE)
    17. Swap Forge CBV yellow spring for blue spring (17psi).
    18. 144k service at Dealer in April (for software updates)
    19. P/S fluid flush (COMPLETE)
    20. Fit BREMBO drilled discs and pads.
    21. Fit D5 oil cooler -- (COMPLETE - pictures to follow)
    Last edited by LeeT5; Friday 20th March 2015 at 10:04.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

c70geoff (Saturday 21st March 2015)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yep she's looking even more FINE now lee �� !

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    U
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    13. larger exhaust tips
    15. Fit stock air box once acrylic window mod -- (COMPLETE - Awaiting AMS removal)
    21. Fit D5 oil cooler -- (COMPLETE - pictures to follow)
    Your slacking Lee. We're now into Spring and your list has jobs that were meant to be done in the New Year, sort it out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MIKESC70T5 For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Saturday 21st March 2015)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Finally fitted new fan to Subwoofer Amp in the boot:

and replaced my old rusty bracket for the fuel filter:

2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks

D5 Oil cooler mod...

The D5 oil cooler is noticeably bigger than a stock T5/R oil cooler or any cooler fitted to a petrol P2.
    It's been compared by trusted sources and the differences are most excellent IMH and worth changing.
    Notably, the car's engine oil will warm up 1-2 miles sooner and the temperature of the oil will be much closer to that of the coolant. Also, when driven hard, the oil will be 10 - 15*C cooler than a stock cooler.

You can buy a new cooler from Volvo for about £200 or get a get used one on eBay for around £40.
    I, luckily have a mate with a D5 engine that he just scrapped, so he gave me the cooler for free!

You'll need to purchase two new 'O' rings from Volvo. Part# 30637339 £5.70 ea:

Firstly, remove the plastic cowling. This aids cooling as the cooler is made of aluminium and the plastic jacket acts just like....'a jacket!'

Then, give the old girl a good clean up with some GUNK and a plastic brush, not forgetting to rinse out the cooler with petrol, making sure you don't pour petrol down the coolant hoses!!

Then very gently, clean the face of the cooler with a razor blade getting all the hard deposits off until it's smooth:

Then you can fit to the car.

You'll need two new 16-25mm Hose clips, two good hose clamps, a T40 and a flat blade screw driver to remove the non reuseable clip and safety glasses.

remove the black coolant hose from the oil cooler....you'll be using the hose on your car!

I had my car on quality ramps for this job. Make sure the engine is cold as you don't want to burn your arms on hot oil or coolant!
    Undo the 4 x T40 bolts partially and use the flat blade screwdriver to crack the seal on the cooler and Sump. Have a catch can ready for the escaping oil. You'll only lose about 400ml of oil. Do NOT drain the sump!!

Then break the non reusable seal on the hose. Clamp off both coolant lines and use a small screwdriver to break the seal of the coolant hoses. The hoses are lined and very sticky when warm, so they grip very well. Getting a clamp on the right hand hose is a real PITA but is possible with care.
    Once clamped and hose clamps removed, gently pull off the old cooler.

Wipe away any oil from the sump and remove the two old GREEN 'O' rings replacing them with the new BLACK 'O' rings.

Fit new cooler and tighten hose clamps.
    Remove hose clamps.
    Fit T40 bolts and tighten in the same fashion as doing up wheel bolts.....ie, top left, bottom right, top right, bottom left. Do them by hand first, then tighten securely but do not overtighten!! The sump is Alloy and if you strip the thread it will cost you around £400 for a new sump!

Here you can see the D5 cooler fitted versus the old one:

Once complete, start the engine and drive off your ramps then switch off!

Go and make a cuppa tea (not a beer cos you'll need to road test) as you'll need the oil level to settle....................10 minutes later..........

Check your oil level and top up accordingly. I had to add 0.5 litre.
    Check your coolant level...initially, mine didn't move but I knew that it would be low in the morning.

ROAD TEST........then check for any oil/coolant leaks.

Park car on level ground because you will need to top up coolant the next day. I topped up mine by about 0.5 litre with 50/50 mix.

Last edited by LeeT5; Saturday 21st March 2015 at 10:28.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Saturday 21st March 2015),Dream3r (Sunday 22nd March 2015),Reverend (Tuesday 24th March 2015),stribo (Saturday 21st March 2015)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    13. larger exhaust tips
    21. Fit D5 oil cooler -- (COMPLETE)
    22. Fit 05> rear lights.
    Dam list just keeps getting bigger!

This user has no status

Thanks
    OK, so everyone to there own....but i do think Volvo know a bit more than the average owner about there products ....which is why the Diesel oil cooler is larger than the Petrol version!

I do believe that you could be walking a tightrope doing this mod as the oil temperature in a diesel engine engine does run a fair bit cooler than in a petrol engine hence the larger cooler...

There is always blowpast in an engine and so therefore with blowpast a lot of the combustible materials can be circulating the sump which is why we have service intervals for changing the oil...

Along with those chemicals produced from combustion is water and the oil temperature has to be above the coolant temperature so the hot oil will have the least amount of water contained in it.

If the oil temp. is allowed to be cooler than recommended then the water may not evaporate completely and rather than just good synthetic oil going to the bearings then an oil water blend that may well boil the water out at the bearing surface and do damage!!.......

There will always be water present if oil temps aren't kept high enough!...

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .
    Last edited by 960kg; Saturday 21st March 2015 at 14:02.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    But is the D5 oil cooler a cooler or a oil heater when on the D5 ?,I think the cooler mod is more if you are going to track the car to be fair.
    The water temp on a R is around the 88-90 deg mark,so it should help to heat the oil when it's very cold.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    OK, so everyone to there own....but i do think Volvo know a bit more than the average owner about there products ....which is why the Diesel oil cooler is larger than the Petrol version!

I do believe that you could be walking a tightrope doing this mod as the oil temperature in a diesel engine engine does run a fair bit cooler than in a petrol engine hence the larger cooler...

There is always blowpast in an engine and so therefore with blowpast a lot of the combustible materials can be circulating the sump which is why we have service intervals for changing the oil...

Along with those chemicals produced from combustion is water and the oil temperature has to be above the coolant temperature so the hot oil will have the least amount of water contained in it.

If the oil temp. is allowed to be cooler than recommended then the water may not evaporate completely and rather than just good synthetic oil going to the bearings then an oil water blend that may well boil the water out at the bearing surface and do damage!!.......

There will always be water present if oil temps aren't kept high enough!...

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .
    In normal use I doubt the cooler will reduce the oil temp sufficiently to achieve what you are suggesting. But when driven hard it is supposed to help prevent the oil getting near dangerous temps

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    But is the D5 oil cooler a cooler or a oil heater when on the D5 ?,I think the cooler mod is more if you are going to track the car to be fair.
    The water temp on a R is around the 88-90 deg mark,so it should help to heat the oil when it's very cold.
    water-to-oil coolers do both jobs - heat the oil when oil is cold, and cool the oil when the oil is hot
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Saturday 21st March 2015 at 15:21.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Looks like it could be a worthw hile mod for our R, as it gets tracked, thanks for the write up Lee, another job to add to the list.
    Last edited by stribo; Saturday 21st March 2015 at 19:59.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    In normal use I doubt the cooler will reduce the oil temp sufficiently to achieve what you are suggesting. But when driven hard it is supposed to help prevent the oil getting near dangerous temps
    I understand what you are saying......

But when the engine coolant is running at only 92 centigrade i believe there is more of a chance the oil can be reduced to the coolant temp. seeing as the diesel cooler is a lot larger and the oil thermostat in the petrol version opens at 95 centigrade up to about 150 centigrade!!

The petrol version does need the smaller cooler to keep the oil temp. correct......especially for round the towns road cars not used much........on a race track then i agree whole heartedly.......

Still only my opinion, just don`t like owners not understanding the proper workings of an engine and risk damage to them!
    .................................................. ...

As you can see i now have a Diesel and it does need the larger oil cooler to heat the engine oil up sooner as the block of a diesel there is so much metal it takes my Merc. about 5mls to get to 100 centigrade which it runs at.....petrol and diesel completely different...
    Last edited by 960kg; Saturday 21st March 2015 at 17:52.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks

But when the engine coolant is running at only 92 centigrade i believe there is more of a chance the oil can be reduced to the coolant temp. seeing as the diesel cooler is a lot larger and the oil thermostat in the petrol version opens at 95 centigrade up to about 150 centigrade!!

The petrol version does need the smaller cooler to keep the oil temp. correct......especially for round the towns road cars not used much........on a race track then i agree whole heartedly.......

Still only my opinion, just don`t like owners not understanding the proper workings of an engine and risk damage to them!

As you can see i now have a Diesel and it does need the larger oil cooler to heat the engine oil up sooner as the block of a diesel there is so much metal it takes my Merc. about 5mls to get to 100 centigrade which it runs at.....petrol and diesel completely different...
    Understood..personally I think you are overestimating the cooling effect of the new item, but that is only based on comparing the number of rows on each cooler rather than experience. Time to break out that laser thermometer, Lee!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    I was quite literally just talking about this mod on another thread

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts

What your saying kind of makes sense in theory. However the reality of it is, you're just wrong!

Using a D5 oil cooler on an R has been well tested, granted as an aid in keeping the oil temps cooler on a track, for which it is a very successful modification. To theorise that it would cause the oil to not reach the correct temp on the road, and cause problems is just incorrect! And that's the problem you are just theorising, rather than testing for real.

I don't run an oil temp gauge, but many of the guys on T5D5 do, I'll try and find out what the normal oil temps are on the road for an R using a D5 oil cooler. But I suspect for normal road driving the temps are pretty much the same as using a standard oil cooler.

Many people including myself have been using a D5 oil cooler for years, and have yet to see any problems caused by it. So scare mongering about something you don't actually have any first hand experience of is a bit silly.
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

claymore (Saturday 21st March 2015),LeeT5 (Saturday 21st March 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Of course it makes sense in theory as you say it does ( so who is scaremongering now? )......

The practicalities of any event are in the testing of it........for a track motor yes........ but for a road motor or just for attention in a Project Thread, can`t see why?

This is a Forum after all and these such discussions always tend to bring the worst out in others with quite condescending remarks....just shows you how some members try to show their hierachy!.........instead of an interesting discussion.

So your own suspicions that the normal road temps. would be the same as a standard oil cooler do hint at a waste of time and money to the conversion!......so in theory the material bulk of a diesel compared to the lesser bulk of a petrol engine and also the difference in coolant temps. and the difference in the size of oil cooler are all to avail or waste of development so why do Volvo or other marques have the same differences?

Seems to me that the normal forum members whether here or otherwise know more about the science of mechanics than the actual manufacturers who plough millions into development...

If the viscosity of the oil is what is concerned about `cos of the heat being generated by a round the houses motor then i suppose one could always change the grade of oil instead....Simples

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    ...As you can see i now have a Diesel and it does need the larger oil cooler to heat the engine oil up sooner as the block of a diesel there is so much metal it takes my Merc. about 5mls to get to 100 centigrade which it runs at.....petrol and diesel completely different...
    Good point - the larger cooler will heat up the oil slightly faster from cold...which is a good thing

..So your own suspicions that the normal road temps. would be the same as a standard oil cooler do hint at a waste of time and money to the conversion!......so in theory the material bulk of a diesel compared to the lesser bulk of a petrol engine and also the difference in coolant temps. and the difference in the size of oil cooler are all to avail or waste of development so why do Volvo or other marques have the same differences?
    It can't be a waste of time as the point of the mod is to provide more cooling when the car is used hard. No science needed - a blind man in a welder's mask can see that increasing the size of a cooler will....cool more at extremes. Doesn't matter whether Lee goes on the track or not, it's still a 300 hp car

//edit

err sorry 300+
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Saturday 21st March 2015 at 22:13.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    So as I'm being a dick today, would I be right in thinking the D5 oil cooler is actually an oil heater? I always wondered why the D5 had a larger oil 'cooler' as diesels run cooler than petrol engined cars anyway.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    So as I'm being a dick today, would I be right in thinking the D5 oil cooler is actually an oil heater? I always wondered why the D5 had a larger oil 'cooler' as diesels run cooler than petrol engined cars anyway.
    who said diesel engines run colder oil....?

In petrol (gasoline) engines, the top piston ring can expose the motor oil to temperatures of 160 °C (320 °F). In diesel engines the top ring can expose the oil to temperatures over 315 °C (600 °F). Motor oils with higher viscosity indices thin less at these higher temperatures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil

This user has no status

Thanks
    An oil cooler is just that, a cooler.

Think of the extremes the oil goes through from the second you turn the key! Pressure of who knows in crank journals and between cam lobes and followers.

The 5 odd litres of oil will b up to operating temp, way before the larger amount and area of coolant.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sperm1980 View Post
    An oil cooler is just that, a cooler.

Think of the extremes the oil goes through from the second you turn the key! Pressure of who knows in crank journals and between cam lobes and followers.

The 5 odd litres of oil will b up to operating temp, way before the larger amount and area of coolant.
    Coolant gets up to temperature before the oil does...maybe we should make a separate thread here

Thread Information