Join Today
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Have you had a go at your shuddering steering yet Lee? What was the problem with your VIDA. Car or hardware/software?
    Me: 2005 V70 2.4 T5 SE. All standard.
    The Wife: 2008 C70 2.5 T5 SE. All standard.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    Post up a link to fogs as I have to change one of mine anyway broken glass.
    That won't be done until the warmer weather mate....more likely around May time. But yes, I will post pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post
    Have you had a go at your shuddering steering yet Lee? What was the problem with your VIDA. Car or hardware/software?
    No mate, not yet. Heated seat set things back a month or two cos it cost me £300 to get fixed.
    On the plus side, The issue with VIDA was a mixture of software but mostly Hardware. I had to buy a new laptop with XP Pro SP3 and install 4GB ram.
    Then I had access to a second server allowing me to D/L 2013D (a known working version).
    I then had to buy some 8GB Dual layer DVD's and then burn to disc.
    Then install to new laptop. Then had an issue with SQL server software, which I fixed and then 'Hey Presto!!' all is good.
    I also thought my DICE was knackered because I did update the firmware (others on Swedespeed and T5D5 have had massive issues with corrupt firmware destroying the DICE and preventing it from working).
    However, mine works OK.

I'm going to drain and refill P/S fluid and replace the reservoir with the updated reservoir in the spring. Before that, Iv'e got a little 'clonking' noise thats gradually getting worse on the n/s, which I think is inner track control rod or possibly lower ball joint. Only notice on full lock and small speed bumps.

Once that's sorted (in a few weeks) then I'll crack the steering issue and refit my rear Subframe inserts (in a box waiting to be fitted).
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

silverhorse (Monday 2nd February 2015)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    This box of tricks arrived a couple of days ago...

Volvotech.eu - CFE (Canbus Function Extender)

Free pen...

Downloaded free software and changed lots of the settings...

Installation

Installation is very simple.

Fold rear passenger left seat down.
    Remove left access panel.
    Remove RTi cover by just gently pulling it away.
    Undo 10mm bolt and pull left side panel away from side of car.
    Undo 3x 12mm RTi mount from car. (Bottom two bolts just require slacking off)

Then your left with this...

Using the supplied OBD/green plug lead, carefully remove green plug from rear of RTi unit. Plug in lead and plug in RTi green plug to supplied cable (no picture as its obvious)

Tidy up cabling and refit side panels until your left with this...

The CFE comes pre loaded with setting that Volvotech think you may use. Most were turned off thou.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    This box of tricks arrived a couple of days ago...

Volvotech.eu - CFE (Canbus Function Extender)

Free pen...

Downloaded free software and changed lots of the settings...

Installation

Installation is very simple.

Fold rear passenger left seat down.
    Remove left access panel.
    Remove RTi cover by just gently pulling it away.
    Undo 10mm bolt and pull left side panel away from side of car.
    Undo 3x 12mm RTi mount from car. (Bottom two bolts just require slacking off)

Then your left with this...

Using the supplied OBD/green plug lead, carefully remove green plug from rear of RTi unit. Plug in lead and plug in RTi green plug to supplied cable (no picture as its obvious)

Tidy up cabling and refit side panels until your left with this...

The CFE comes pre loaded with setting that Volvotech think you may use. Most were turned off thou.
    Do you have to disconnect the battery before you start unplugging things?

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    Nice. I quite fancy one of those cfe things, looks interesting.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Do you have to disconnect the battery before you start unplugging things?
    No.

You just turn off car and remove key. Then open boot and pull out the CFE from it's OBD cable.
    Plug into laptop.....alter any settings......then plug it back in.

Then you just lock/unlock the car and away you go!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

stribo (Friday 6th February 2015)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    If your car is an 05> then you can plug the CFE straight into the OBD port at the front of the car. You can't do that on <54 models.
    However, I prefer the way mine is fitted as it leaves the OBD port clear to plug in VIDA etc.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Some cool functions....

Day time running lights:

Note: Side lights are off! Fogs come on with ignition. They also go off when Headlights are switched on or sidelights. The car also tells me when light conditions are such that the use of headlights would be better. This is done via the light sensor and signals by flashing the red alarm LED until headlights are switched on.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Ric@rdo (Saturday 7th February 2015),stribo (Friday 6th February 2015),Yosser (Friday 6th February 2015)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    That's very smart lee, like it

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    (Thanks to Rich for the thread title change)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    I've got something similar on the M, but all the info comes up on my head unit. If your like me, you will be changing things every week lol.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MIKESC70T5 For This Useful Post:

dibble34 (Tuesday 3rd April 2018)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i'm curious to what changes them from DRL's, to foglights illegally used without sidelights? except from a computer telling them to turn on at different times

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    i'm curious to what changes them from DRL's, to foglights illegally used without sidelights? except from a computer telling them to turn on at different times
    If it's controlled by CAN BUS then anythings possible.

...here we go again...
    Thanks

Power Steering fluid change - guide:

Right, this morning I did a fluid flush on my power steering and replaced my reservoir too.

You can either use Volvo p/s fluid (made by Pentosin) part code CHF11S, formally CHF202 (now superseded) at £15 a litre.
    Or you can use Comma MVCHF, which is exactly the same oil. Note: CHF11S is synthetic not mineral oil. £9.59 a litre.

Now because the pump takes a direct supply from the reservoir it's very easy to flush the system out. No need to remove the return and try to fill a bottle whilst making sure you don't run the pump dry. It's a lot easier and less mess using the method I and Silverhorse have successfully completed. Here's the stuff I used:

200ml automotive syringe:

Firstly, clamp the supply hose to the pump as close to the pump as possible. Then clamp the return to reservoir hose:

Place a rag on top of the alternator as you don't want any p/s oil entering the alternator!!!

Then undo the reservoir cap and proceed to suck as much oil from the reservoir as possible. I managed about 500ml. Place the old oil into a white container, so you can inspect for cleanliness and contaminants. My oil was blatantly Dexron red coloured and very dark. There was also some tiny black particles floating about.....so definitely worth changing:

Then, placing the old cap back on the reservoir, carefully remove the hoses from the pump and the return to the reservoir. Leave the reservoir supply end on! Lift the reservoir out from it's location paying careful attention to not break the retaining bracket on the Coolant reservoir.
    I used brand new jubilee clips so disposed of the old ones. Be careful not to damage the hose as a new one will cost £50 from Volvo.
    Remove the hose from the old reservoir (draining the remainder of the fluid out) and then clean the hose using Carburettor cleaner and a rag:

Now connect your nice clean hose to the new reservoir and fit a new jubilee to the supply end of the hose. (Don't forget to remove the red end caps) Then fit the reservoir to the Coolant reservoir, paying careful attention to the locating tab and two guides! Once clipped into place, refit the return hose to the reservoir using a new jubilee clamp. Then place the supply hose back in the p/s pump guide and fit to the pump using a new jubilee clamp.
    Before tightening the jubilees make sure that the supply hose is not rubbing against the ECU housing or anywhere near the Auxiliary belt. Once the hose is correctly sited, tighten the jubilee clamps (Do not over tighten)

Remove the clamps from the hoses.
    remove the rag from the Alternator.

Now add, using a small funnel to avoid spillage, about 400ml of fresh P/S fluid. Check the cold level on the cap dip stick. Fill it to the cold level

Now I jacked up my vehicle at the front and placed on axle stands cos I didn't want to damage my tyres:

Leave the cap off and start the engine. You will need to top up, so have the new fluid ready! Do not overfill!

Correct procedure to bleed the steering is to turn the steering lock to lock 20 times holding the steering against the stops on each lock for 10 seconds. This is as per VIDA instructions.

Once complete, switch off and check the level. Adjust accordingly and refit the cap. Lower the car to the ground and test drive.

To complete the flush you will need to suck another 500ml from the reservoir and refill....which I have done. You won't need to jack up and bleed the fluid since your not removing the supply hose. Just refill with fresh fluid and check level.
    Do this a further 4 times driving the car for at least 10 miles between flushes. Most of the old oil is removed on the first 'suck' (500ml). The second 500ml drain saw my fluid change from blacky/red to greeny/black.

The new fluid is clear green and once 4 more flushes are complete, it will be so.

Here's a comparison of old fluid on the left V new fluid on the right:

After 10 minutes of driving I have noticed quite a remarkable difference. It's definitely smoother and most of the juddering I was experiencing at low speeds has gone. Once I've completed 4 more flushes I hope that it will be judder free and ultra smooth

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Harvey (Saturday 28th February 2015),MoleT-5R (Tuesday 3rd March 2015),Ric@rdo (Saturday 28th February 2015),sizzlechest (Friday 27th February 2015),stribo (Friday 27th February 2015),Wobbly Dave (Sunday 1st March 2015)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    My new one leaks. Such a bad design.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    My new one leaks. Such a bad design.
    New one? Under warranty if less than 12 months old! Take it back for a replacement.

This user has no status

American Free Colonies, (in the ignorant) state of Texas
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    On the plus side, The issue with VIDA was a mixture of software but mostly Hardware. I had to buy a new laptop with XP Pro SP3 and install 4GB ram.
    Then I had access to a second server allowing me to D/L 2013D (a known working version).
    I then had to buy some 8GB Dual layer DVD's and then burn to disc.
    Then install to new laptop. Then had an issue with SQL server software, which I fixed and then 'Hey Presto!!' all is good.
    I also thought my DICE was knackered because I did update the firmware (others on Swedespeed and T5D5 have had massive issues with corrupt firmware destroying the DICE and preventing it from working).
    However, mine works OK.
    Slightly off topic, but I've been building this one to make things easier to not require a dedicated laptop or a difficult install procedure;

Win7x32-VIDA.zip 8.50 GB
    https://mega.co.nz/#!XdVhmKYI!KqM8GV...CFzwOvjyRN8FBE

x64-Windows6.1-KB958559-x64-RefreshPkg.msu 16.3 MB
    https://mega.co.nz/#!OM9yUQhR!H2FSRR...asMIbEQHXPiNww

x86-Windows6.1-KB958559-x86-RefreshPkg.msu 15.3 MB
    https://mega.co.nz/#!2ddUVCrR!Qfmry0...18ZZayjeYI2bOg

Since building this, I ended up finding an old laptop (Win7 x64, 8GB RAM and 250GB SSD, runs VIDA like a charm), but it still works well. You pick one of the Virtual Machine players to suit, then download and run the VIDA virtual machine and adjust the memory as needed. I think I have it turned down to 1GB so anyone can run it, but with more RAM, you can increase it to improve the performance.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Good write up.

Where did you get the oil from and why replace the reservoir.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Good write up.

I bought the oil from http://www.scmf.co.uk/

The reservoir was replaced because they are known for splitting the seam. When I compared my old one to the new one, the difference was obvious. Over time the old reservoir has bulged at the sides and was fouling the ECU chamber.
    The new one is straight down the sides and a whole 6mm of clearance between it and the ECU chamber. Also, there is a suction valve inside the reservoir and over time they get weak.

Here's a good video on how to change:

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Good write up.

Have a read of your handbook to see what it says fluid wise,after Lee changing his I thought there's no harm to change mine looked in the book and gives a nice long number but no name.

I did Google the number but it didn't seem to cross reference to any other fluid. So it could be that 2006 cars on are different in some way ?.
    So off to my Ford dealer less than £12 per bottle.
    Last edited by Harvey; Tuesday 3rd March 2015 at 12:53.

Thread Information