Join Today
    Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts

SBC installation help needed

I need to know where inside the cabin I can pick up the RPM & Speed signal to feed my Blitz SBC - iColor

http://97supraturbo.com/Manuals/SBC%20i-Color%20Eng.pdf (page 12) to feed the central SBC ECU.

I am assuming it will spur off the signal wire supplying the main binnacle?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Well according to Blitz UK official distributors (who were not best pleased I'd gone outside their supply chain to buy the thing - something I am sure to regret) - speed & RPM signals are post ECU (not raw sensor data).

Just need now to find the right wire taps under the dash. What concerns me is given I have both early S60/V70 haynes & the C70 - I am not sure if the looms are different. Volvospeed members have tapped for the manual throttle cars - not certain if the case is the same. Guess there is only 1 way to find out.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...m-signal-wire/
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Or could use one of theses units.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...48175248,d.ZWU

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Well I have found these but I am struggling to understand the diagrams.

http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/v...20Diagrams.pdf

Anyone help me out? I think it will be hidden inside group 37/38

All I need now is the 2 signals I am home free.

Actually - I think I might be close - page 114 - it says connector C has an output for accessories? I have no idea if the blitz can read this & still need RPM as well.

derrr - tachometer is RPM - so it looks like if I tap 7 & 11 off the big 30 pin connector to the binnacle - this may do it? What do you think?
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Tuesday 1st April 2014 at 01:45.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    So close but so far - 30 pin binnacle plug (plug A P114) says the tachometer is pin 11. There is no wire coming into PIN 11 on my plug FFS! My best mate will come over hopefully on Sunday with an oscillascope & hopefully we'll be able to find the RPM signal feeding the gauge. Other than that I have the SBC in. Once I have the signal I can put the boost pipes onto where the MBC is currently.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    here's one for you. When putting up the gauge/display & wiring in the power for the SBC - I had to take the radio & other bits out. I wasted 6 hours over the last few nights trying to diagnose why when putting the Alpine back into its slot that the thing kept failing. Could I find an issue with the loom - nope. I've had that bleeding thing in & out more times than a stallion on a stud farm.

What was wierd was i could hear the CD in the HU clicking - like it was spinning but the display wouldn't come on.

Guess what it was - Only flattened the flaming battery with having the doors open etc for such a long time.

DOH!!
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Not sure if i did a write up on this forum when i had my HKS EVC6 i got the feed from the ecu tray tapping into there..
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

8. The Following User Says Thank You to siamblue For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Friday 4th April 2014)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Found the correct wiring loom manual -

Page 219 shows the back of the combination instrument panel (CIP).

With the help of my best mate Vitch (who owns a T5 2.4 V70 phase 2) - we used his oscilloscope to analyse the signal wave forms looking for something that might give us a useful tacho signal for engine speed. We searched the whole of plug A.
    Pin 13 - Generator Signal D+ looked promising but it was a bit noisy. Nothing else inside the dash gave us any joy.
    We got a better signal from the control wire supplying the coil packs. We discovered good clean signal but probably the wrong sort as the Blitz didn't seem happy to calibrate with it. It's the same wire that Hamish uses on the Dynojet, with an induction loop detector. Shame it didn't quite work.

Vitch reckons that with a small circuit we could convert that analogue voltage signal into a more digital form that the SBC can use. I have to talk to Blitz to see what kind it needs.

Main issue is that my car year is the very early ME7. It was soon superseded by one that actual does has a direct tacho signal. It appears my tacho dial is calculated on the circuit inside the CIP itself.

On a brighter note I have managed to configure the blitz's oil pressure signal. I can display oil temp and the boost gauge is good. I have also calibrated the car speed. At least that was easy to wire in. There is a spade connector as shown as the empty "plug C" - 12 pulses per revolution. (P218). All I had to do was run the car at 25 mph and hit the button!
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Sunday 6th April 2014 at 21:01.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Phoned Blitz UK today - they've never done a Volvo so was only able to tell me that they know where the igniter lead is on a Toyota - not that much use.

I suspect this is the lead we were already using.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Found the correct wiring loom manual -

Page 219 shows the back of the combination instrument panel (CIP).

With the help of my best mate Vitch (who owns a T5 2.4 V70 phase 2) - we used his oscilloscope to analyse the signal wave forms looking for something that might give us a useful tacho signal for engine speed. We searched the whole of plug A.
    Pin 13 - Generator Signal D+ looked promising but it was a bit noisy. Nothing else inside the dash gave us any joy.
    We got a better signal from the control wire supplying the coil packs. We discovered good clean signal but probably the wrong sort as the Blitz didn't seem happy to calibrate with it. It's the same wire that Hamish uses on the Dynojet, with an induction loop detector. Shame it didn't quite work.

Vitch reckons that with a small circuit we could convert that analogue voltage signal into a more digital form that the SBC can use. I have to talk to Blitz to see what kind it needs.

Main issue is that my car year is the very early ME7. It was soon superseded by one that actual does has a direct tacho signal. It appears my tacho dial is calculated on the circuit inside the CIP itself.

On a brighter note I have managed to configure the blitz's oil pressure signal. I can display oil temp and the boost gauge is good. I have also calibrated the car speed. At least that was easy to wire in. There is a spade connector as shown as the empty "plug C" - 12 pulses per revolution. (P218). All I had to do was run the car at 25 mph and hit the button!
    Dave my head hurts just reading that let alone understanding it, your nuts lol keep it simple stick a mbc on it and set the actuator pressure to suit happy days

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamest5r For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Monday 7th April 2014)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    I have an MBC already - don't you worry your pretty little head about it LOL.

I am just trying to use the igniter signal on the coil packs to interpret that as an engine speed signal.

I can't be progressive or accurate with the MBC. EBC is the only way to get that without the extra expense & hassle of a stand alone system.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Thread Information