Join Today
    Always something to do!!
    Thanks

New T4 owner with questions.

Hi, just acquired a 2k V40 T4 SE auto with 115k, three local owners with full service history (with bills) Met Black with full leather, she's got some issues the bodywork needs some work there's not a panel without a scratch or ding but the inside is nice and everything works, so I've got some questions so bare with me.

1 - Fuel pump is quite noisy, it's low on fuel at moment should I be worried?
    2 - The starter motor turns over really slow, it's got a big Bosch silver top battery (replaced 05) I've got it on charge at the moment.
    3 - What grade oil should I use? Always used 10w 40 semi in the R.

Cheers
    Steve
    Steve

98 V70 R 2wd auto, RICA 310, strut brace, ITG filter. Soon to come out of mothball.
    99 BMW Z3, owned from new, 30k miles, Garage Queen.
    2005 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6, Current project.

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    1 - Fuel pump is quite noisy, it's low on fuel at moment should I be worried?
    I'd have thought the fuel pump should sound the same regardless of whether it is low on fuel or not. only when it is empty should it make a load sound, but if it working and it is getting the fuel, the. Why worry about it at the moment?

2 - The starter motor turns over really slow, it's got a big Bosch silver top battery (replaced 05) I've got it on charge at the moment.
    A bit of self diagnosis going on, you'll probably answer your own question if charging fixes it or not.

3 - What grade oil should I use? Always used 10w 40 semi in the R.
    I think I have gradually migrated to fully synthetic in mine, something like 5w30 or something. 10w40 is a good middle of the road oil,
    I doubt you'll do much damage with that as the Volvo engine seems to be very robust

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JUDGENINJA For This Useful Post:

Quicksilver (Monday 17th June 2013)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    I used 10-40 semi on mine, oil and filter changed every 6 months to keep it running well.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    dont use 5w30 it doesn't protect enough when the oil is hot, i should know i broke stuff with it lol, i use 10w50 for good cold and hot protection now

7. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

Always something to do!!
    Thanks
    I've gone 5w 40 full syn, Euro Car Parts have a good deal on it at the moment, I'm going to try it in my BMW this year aswell.
    Steve

98 V70 R 2wd auto, RICA 310, strut brace, ITG filter. Soon to come out of mothball.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Another T4 owner! Awesome.

When my fuel pump was going it had a noticable flat spot over 4k revs.

My battery is too small for my car and still turns over ok unless very cold.

I use any oil I can afford at the time. Usually a quality 10/40 semi or if I'm flush a fully synth. I change it very frequently (4K) and is usually still golden when it pours out.

I feel your pain with the bodywork, although I just bought 2 secondhand doors which are in good condition so hopefully rid me of some scratches lol

Get some pics up for us!
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mitchyboy01 For This Useful Post:

Quicksilver (Tuesday 18th June 2013)

Always something to do!!
    Thanks
    Thanks for welcome Mitch, only drive it properly yesterday and I must say its quick!!!
    As has been said the build quality is not in the same league as my V70 there's no such thing as rust on that.

I always used 10w 40 semi in both cars but Euro Car Parts are doing Qx full syn for same money, they also do it in 1litre bottles.

If I ever work out how to post pictures I will, off to Euro again to pick a pair of drop links.
    Steve

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    Thanks for welcome Mitch, only drive it properly yesterday and I must say its quick!!!
    As has been said the build quality is not in the same league as my V70 there's no such thing as rust on that.

I always used 10w 40 semi in both cars but Euro Car Parts are doing Qx full syn for same money, they also do it in 1litre bottles.

If I ever work out how to post pictures I will, off to Euro again to pick a pair of drop links.
    Did you get the DL's? If not go here and get em, http://www.allgermanparts.co.uk/ours...-30884179.html

Oh and 10/40 semi is fine. Used it in mine and change every 6 months or so. Currently got 5/30 I think (local mech changed it for a stamp in the log book)

This user has no status

Thanks
    If your battery is ok, then check all the engine earth straps to body for oxidation etc. .....there a a couple knocking around in the engine department.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

Quicksilver (Thursday 11th July 2013)

UK League Champion SQ Advance
    4k Euro EMMA

Thanks
    YAY

Another T4 owner.. Mine is poorly at the moment but will be back on the road soon I hope

Always something to do!!
    Thanks
    Hello, ours is black also (332 Black Met) trying to find some replacement body panels in the right colour at the moment.
    Steve

Thread Information