Join Today
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Such an awesome car!!

I just spotted this on DetailingWorld, and had to come and see if it was on here!

Fantastic progress you're making too, really giving it the TLC a car like this deserves (and the TLC mine has gone without for nearly a year )

2. The Following User Says Thank You to T5RPete For This Useful Post:

bonelorry (Wednesday 28th August 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Can't wait to see the results

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thought it was time to get a bit more serious with the renovation, I mentioned a while back in the thread that I had plans to fully under seal the car so today I bit the bullet and got stuck in.

Took me about 6 hours in total which included 3 hours of preparation, De-greasing, Wire brushing the subframes and wheel arches/chassis legs, Rubbing down the tank straps and Masking everything up properly before I started. I opted to use Bilt Hamber Dynax under seal which comes in a 750ml aerosol can of which I used just under 3 cans which equates to about 2 litres.

I am very happy with the outcome indeed and now the underneath of the car looks as good as the top!

I have no before's or durings as I was covered in the stuff but here are some not great quality I-Phone pics of the completed job but you get the idea...

View from Rear-Front of car showing Spare wheel well, Tank and rear subframe...

View from Front-Rear of car showing floor...

View from Front-Rear of car showing front subframe...

OSR inner wheel arch/Chassis leg after under sealing and light dressing of plastics...

NSR inner wheel arch/Chassis leg after under sealing...

OSF inner wheel arch after under sealing, Also cleaned strut/spring and dressed the arch liner...

Cleaned and dressed all the front valance and horns...

One last engine bay shot for Tingy on T5D5 showing the PROPER Genuine coolant...

To-Do...Plans...

Fit the Genuine Mitsubishi rebuild kit for the Re-circ on the turbo
    Fit the upper and lower engine mount Polybushes
    Fit new discs and pads all-round including 302mm upgrade
    Fit Goodridge Braided hoses
    Brake fluid change ATE Super blue DOT 4
    Paint all the brake calipers, Disc guards & disc bells black

Then very possibly either an MTE stage one OR Tim Williams live map

We shall see!

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by bonelorry; Saturday 27th July 2013 at 19:50.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Nice work there, love the fresh black underseal contrast with the bright yellow paintwork...

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    looking great there Simon, would you like to pop along and give my T5-R some much needed love and attention. Great work keep it up, your car is looking fantastic

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Nice work there, love the fresh black underseal contrast with the bright yellow paintwork...
    Cheers Andy, I was very happy with the finish. Still looks great nearly a week on een with all the heavy rain.

Good thing with the stuff I used it never sets solid so is very durable and wont chip off should a stone flick up or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MoleT5-R View Post
    looking great there Simon, would you like to pop along and give my T5-R some much needed love and attention. Great work keep it up, your car is looking fantastic
    Thanks for that, I have actually had quite a few people on various forums ask me if I would be interested in doing some detailing work on thier cars but I simply dont have the time or confidence to work on other peoples.

I have very high standards and I am happy with what I do on my own cars but know my limitations, I would not want to carry out work on a fellow members car that they might not be happy with if you get me?

Cheers

This user has no status

Thanks
    Decided to stay behind after work today and do a few more jobs on the car, Took me a little longer than I first expected but it was a worthwhile task and I even repaired something that I already suspected broken so all good.

Fitted the following items this afternoon...

Powerflex Upper engine torque mount bush
    New O.E standard rubber firewall mount, Newer uprated type
    Powerflex lower torque arm/Tie rod bush the large type
    Left the smaller O.E lower torque/tie rod solid donut bush
    Fitted a new pair of Bosch 21" wipers both with spoilers because I am anal

Not a bad job to do overall, The firewall mount bush was split in half and I suspected this as I was getting a bit of movement from the engine when I was shutting off the throttle, This issue has now completely gone which I am very happy with and the new O.E bush I have fitted is the uprated item about twice the size of the original. The upper engine torque mounting was a PITA to get out but luckily for me I had the use of an Air chisel so I was able to do it in SITU without the need for a hacksaw, The replacement Powerflex item was a snug fit on the non tapered drivers side of the housing so I used my initiative and trimmed a little off to make a slight taper on the bush and it went in with a G-Clamp and plenty of Copperslip. I had to do a bit of fiddling to get the cage back over the larger Powerflex bush, In the end I fitted the cage over the Powerflex bush first and left the bolt out of the firewall bush to give me some movement.

As for the lower Torque tie rod, All the bolts where seized so it was a case of a bit at a time and working it with Pen oil but it came undone. I pressed out the larger bush of the two using our press and fitted the Powerflex item by hand and yet again the original one was split so was in need of replacing, As for the smaller of the two this looked in good order and as it was solid donut type bush I would have gained nothing by fitting the Powerflex item so I left this one alone. All the threads where cleaned up on the bolts using our bench wire brush cleaner and again plenty of Copperslip was applied before I reassembled it all.

I also gave the scuttle panel a good clean out since I had the wiper arms off etc, My car does not have a cabin filter so I might look into getting the adaptor to allow fitment of one in the future.

Pretty chuffed I managed to cure the issue that was the split firewall bush, I am now noticing quite a bit more noise/vibration since fitting the new bushes but I read a while back this is the case. Not excessive but noticeable, Quite audible now.....Almost enhanced 5-pot goodness.

The pile of parts I bought have dwindled away and are nearly all fitted now, The car keeps getting better each time which I am please about.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers Simon

This user has no status

Thanks
    It's always nice to upgrade in stages so you can appreciate the individual differences and its even better when upgrades equal improvement!

This user has no status

Thanks
    I ended up with my better half at the local hospital last night as she has been unwell recently, Anyway they kept her in for a few days and as I was leaving and walked towards the car I saw the opportunity for a quick 4am snapshot of the car, Really wished I had my proper camera but....

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bonelorry View Post
    I ended up with my better half at the local hospital last night as she has been unwell recently, Anyway they kept her in for a few days and as I was leaving and walked towards the car I saw the opportunity for a quick 4am snapshot of the car, Really wished I had my proper camera but....

That looks awesome sitting there. Hope the mrs gets well soon & very good progress on the Gul.
    Absolutely stunning.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    That looks awesome sitting there. Hope the mrs gets well soon & very good progress on the Gul.
    Absolutely stunning.
    Thank you

This user has no status

Thanks
    Sweet

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Nice picture, great car.....hope the Mrs is feeling better soon.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    Nice picture, great car.....hope the Mrs is feeling better soon.
    Thank you Graham, She is back home now safe n sound resting!

I am thinking of taking some more night pics of the car with my proper camera so I will post them up as and when.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bonelorry View Post

Thanks for that, I have actually had quite a few people on various forums ask me if I would be interested in doing some detailing work on thier cars but I simply dont have the time or confidence to work on other peoples.

I have very high standards and I am happy with what I do on my own cars but know my limitations, I would not want to carry out work on a fellow members car that they might not be happy with if you get me?

Cheers
    exactly what I thought you might say, keep up the good work and I look forward to casting my eye over your car at a show soon

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status

Thanks
    Nice weather and some spare time so I thought it was time to have a bit of a detailing session on the Gul, Although I clean the car weekly I have not been able to do the full works for quite a while as I have been busy doing all the mechanical jobs on the car and undersealing it also in my spare time.

Prob spent around 6.5 hours in total today including a few cuppas and a bacon buttie.

Following process I used today...

Rinsed the car and wheel arches thoroughly
    Washed the car using 2 bucket method with a Lambswool mitt and Meguires ultimate shampoo
    Washed the wheels, Tyres and wheel arches using a Meguires Microfibre Mitt, Soft wheel brush and bottle container with foaming head containing Megs soap to a high concentrate
    Rinsed the car again
    Dryed the whole car with Elite XL drying towel, Dried the wheels, Door shuts and engine bay with Microfibre towel.
    Cleaned the glass with Autoglym fast glass then Autoglym Glass Polish
    Removed any tar specs using Autoglym Intensive Tar remover
    Polished the car using Autoglym Super Resin Polish using a sponge applicator to apply and microfibre towel to remove
    Waxed the car using Collinites No:845 liquid insulator wax using soft applicator and Elite buffing towel to remove
    Wax the wheels with Collinites No:476 wax using different applicator and microfibre cloth to remove
    Dressed the bumper tops and mudflaps with Autoglym bumper care using an applicator and then buffed with a Microfibre cloth
    Polished the tailpipes with Autosol
    Final spritz over with Megs Quick detailer

The car is in on the 29th for a professional paint correction/machine polish to further enhance the depth and clarity of the paint....And to remove the minor swirls also. Hoping for a 90% correction on the swirls from past experience, Then I will paint all the calipers etc and its pretty much how I want it cosmetic wise.

Got the proper camera out today so took a few snaps of the finished article...

Few refection shots...

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just found out some news which I am very happy about thanks to Yosser, The DTM style tailpipes on my car are an actual Genuine Volvo accessory part number 9184083 so are staying on the car....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yes square oval and dtm where optional on the 850 some nice extras in the book looks awsome by the way!
    1995 854 t5r

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martybelfastt5 View Post
    yes square oval and dtm where optional on the 850 some nice extras in the book looks awsome by the way!
    Thanks Marty, As I have said on other forums I am well chuffed about the tailpipe as it did put me about that it was an aftermarket item. Its definatley staying on the car now, Very period to the car and 1990's stylee

This user has no status

Thanks
    Typically it rained after all my hard work yesterday, On the plus side it gave me opportunity to take a beading picture.

Collinites No:845.....

Thread Information