Join Today
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Don't worry I am not going to be taking pictures of the car every week but I gave the car another detail today in the usual fashion and dressed all the bumper tops and door strips today, Thought I would take a few snaps with the new plate fitted just cos....

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Feek me you got a serious pot hole problem round your way.

Nice motor btw

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamest5r View Post
    Feek me you got a serious pot hole problem round your way.

Nice motor btw
    Tell me about it, Its actually a private road with only about 10 houses on it. I dont actually have to drive down it as just out of the picture the road is newly surfaced so I just reverse about 10 meters upto my space.

Cheers

This user has no status

Thanks
    Had a nice little package arrived today from Rufe so going to make a bit of progress tomorrow night after work and getting the first few jobs off the expanding list LOL....

Fitting a new later style square BCS from the S70/V70 along with new vac pipes from the BCS to turbo and from the CBV to the inlet
    Fitting a new complete PCV system, Cleaning the PTC nipple in the inlet pipe

I will be disconnecting the battery also to reset the ECU.

Expecting my other package from Parts For Volvo's later this week as they are awaiting the arrival of the Silicone hoses from Sweden.

Will update my findings tomorrow, Expecting to find quite a few perished and split 18 year old hoses on the PCV if past experience is anything to go by on these cars.

Cheers

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for all the kind words, Means a lot and makes all the effort worthwhile!

Managed to get a few jobs crossed off the list last night and carried out the PCV change, FItted the new BCS and vac pipes. Not a bad job and took us about 2 and a half hours to complete in total. I can confirm it was a very worthwhile job to do, I do not think its ever been replaced so is 18 years old and as expected the vacuum hoses where split and literally dropped to bits BUT I was more than happy with the condition of PTC as it was spotless as was the two vent holes on the block where the catch can attaches.

This shows the car has been maintained and had regular oil changes etc

Not really a write up but thought I would share a few snaps from last night, Excuse the dirty engine bay....Not upto my standards of cleanliness yet but will be getting sorted as will the blue silicone HT leads.

Everything stripped down, Showing old PCV system and catch can...

Off with the old catch can and pipes...

Inlet manifold and TB removed, Good to see the TB was nice and clean no carbon build up...

Off with the old 18 year old 104K miles BCS and pipework, Replaced by the newer type Square BCS and vac pipework thoughout...

Removed the intake pipe and checked/cleaned the PTC, Spotless...

New PCV and catch can fitted...

Nearly there...

Its alive, You did not doubt me did you?...

Summary...

A very worthwhile job to do indeed, I know most of you guys know this but I would advise anyone who is carrying out stage 0 to factor this into it. All those little vac pipes that perish and split over time can cause major problems on a standard car never mind a re-mapped car! Get it right to start with.

I can confirm the car is considerably more responsive and part throttle is improved, The revs do not seem to be hanging between gear-changes either which was a sign of a possible vac leak.

I also had the battery disconnected to re-set the ECU, Replaced the Fuel pressure reg hose and one of the hoses from the Vac tee to the Evap system. Everything else was all OK.

Checked the Base Boost using a MItyvac and got around 2.5PSI which seems about right for a stock 15G turbo, I am sure someone will confirm this?

So moving forward I will be doing the plugs, Leads, Distributor and rotor arm over the next few days. Possibly the Boost hoses if they arrive.

Then the cooling system, Thermostat, Coolant temp sensor, Expansion tank and cap, Silicone hoses and Coolant change.

Its all happening.

Stay tuned!

Cheers Simon

your mars a welder

Thanks
    awesome car bud and good work with the progress , keep I up and don't sell lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Managed to get some Lieu days in so I could have a bit of a long weekend and decided to get a few more jobs off the list.

Another very productive day and the weather has been awesome!

Jobs done today included...

New Genuine Volvo Spark Plugs
    New Genuine/Bougicord HT leads
    New Genuine/Bosch Distributor
    New Genuine/Bosch Rotor Arm
    Fitted the 5 x piece black Silicone Turbo boost Hose kit
    Cleaned all the solid metal and plastic boost pipes
    Fitted new JCS Hi-Grip Stainless hose clips throughout
    Cleaned the Air Flow Meter with CRC Air Sensor Clean
    Heatwrapped the top turbo hose using Titanium heatwrap and stainless straps
    Painted the power-steering pump bracket/frame
    Gave the engine bay a bit more of a clean up

Off with the old...

All back together...

Cheers Simon

Jim
    Thanks
    Do you mean the actuator pressure when you say this?...........

Checked the Base Boost using a MItyvac and got around 2.5PSI which seems about right for a stock 15G turbo, I am sure someone will confirm this?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Do you mean the actuator pressure when you say this?...........

Yes James, The base boost pressure which is the point the actuator begins to open.

Jim
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bonelorry View Post
    Yes James, The base boost pressure which is the point the actuator begins to open.
    Think it should be around 4psi for the 15/16's and 7psi for 18/19's.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Think it should be around 4psi for the 15/16's and 7psi for 18/19's.
    I cant find a definitive answer for this, I did read that it was about 2psi for a 15G turbo but 4psi on the 16t straight flange on the 850r.

If it is 4psi then it is currently on the low side although its not unresponsive. I need to plumb a decent mechanical boost gauge in to see if i am getting the full 12.5psi on overboost.

Cheers Simon

This user has no status

Thanks
    Another very productive night after work last night and some more jobs off the list, Took about 3 hours in total but 45 mins of that was running the car up-to temp ensuring the fan cuts OK in and bleeding the cooling system.

New Black Silicone Upper and Lower Radiator coolant hoses
    New Black Silicone Header tank Upper and Lower hoses
    New Genuine Expansion Tank
    New Genuine Expansion Green Tank Cap
    New Genuine Thermostat
    New Genuine Coolant Temp Sensor
    New Stainless hose clips throughout
    Coolant change using the Pink coloured 5 Year Super OAT Anti-Freeze 50/50 mix
    New Genuine Fuel Filter
    Nitrogen filled all the tyres

Not a bad job to do, The Thermostat bolts where fiddly especially the one next to the Fuel rail and the Lower Coolant hose was a §§§§§§ to route but other than that all went OK.

Off with the old...

All finished, Not much to see as most of the hoses are hidden. Decided to remove the heatwrap that I fitted on the upper Intercooler hose also, Think I was having a blonde moment DOH...

Thanks for looking

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bonelorry View Post
    I cant find a definitive answer for this, I did read that it was about 2psi for a 15G turbo but 4psi on the 16t straight flange on the 850r.

If it is 4psi then it is currently on the low side although its not unresponsive. I need to plumb a decent mechanical boost gauge in to see if i am getting the full 12.5psi on overboost.

Cheers Simon
    its not 12.5 psi its more like 11.2psi up from 9.6 on the t5

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Looking good, better without the heatwrap

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    its not 12.5 psi its more like 11.2psi up from 9.6 on the t5
    Thanks for the info, Learning all the time!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

T5frankie (Sunday 14th July 2013)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Agreed on the heat wrap dude, it's a stunning car fair play she's a credit to you.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

This user has no status

Thanks
    Onto the Coolant SAGA...

Just like to say thanks to Tingy on T5D5 for the heads up on the Super OAT Coolant, It resulted in me doing about 2 hours of research on Friday night and my findings where interesting. The H-OAT which are Hybrid OAT Coolants are OK as they contain Silicates and G-05 but the normal OAT long-life 5-Year Coolant like the one I used is Silicate free and generally contains 2-EHA which is a form of Acid that literally eats away any Silicone Seals, Gaskets or hoses over time.This is pretty well documented on various Car Forums and I even found an article from SFS Performance stating to Subaru owners that the OAT Coolant the Main Dealers where using was not compatible with their cars if they used after market Silicone hoses!

The END result and something I wish I and done in the first place was to ring Volvo yesterday morning and carry out Coolant change number 2 for this week, I am getting good at this now. Better safe than sorry so a thoroughly flushed out the cooling system through the expansion tank and then the top hose until the water ran clear then refilled the system using the Genuine Volvo Coolant 50/50 Mix....

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Sunday 14th July 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hate Volvo with pink coolant,Volvo genuine coolant is less expensive any way,Only £9.70 plus vat for 4 liters

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slrmoco View Post
    Hate Volvo with pink coolant,Volvo genuine coolant is less expensive any way,Only £9.70 plus vat for 4 liters
    The pink coolant wash thoroughly flushed out about 10 days ago it was literally in the car for 24 hours and covered about 15 miles, Replaced with the Genuine Coolant to 50/50 mix.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well all is well with the car, Just got back off my holiday abroad and stored the car at a friends for the week while I was away.

Needless to say I could not wait to get back and drive it HAHA.

Had a few hours spare today so gave the car a good clean/detail as it has not been done for a few weeks, Had a good look at the paint under the UV lighting at work and have decided that a machine polish/Paint correction to remove the swirls from the paint would be a step in the right direct so...

I had a chat with Clean-Detail who are based in South Yorkshire and are professional detailers this afternoon and have booked the car in on the 29th of August for a Minor correction/Enhancement detail with them. I have used them before earlier this year on my Golf GTI Edition 30 and the results where amazing, They usually ask to see the car first but as they did my Golf earlier this year and know how particular I am with my cars they are happy for me to just turn up.

I do all my cleaning/detailing by hand and do not own a machine polisher but even if I did I simply do not have the facilities to carry out a proper paint correction and achieve a good finish, Sure you can get quite far with polish applied by hand and patience but having a proper temperature controlled environment and proper lighting with a machine polisher, various compounds and pads you can achieve a 90-95% correction on a car with decent paint.

I do feel that its worth paying good money to get the car done, The 850 is an investment and I am intending to look after it!

Ofcourse I have done ALOT of the donkey work but they always start from scratch on every car and the full process they will be doing includes the following...

Full Jetwash Inc arches and inner wheels
    28 step Citrus Pre-wash
    Washed using Lambs wool mitts
    PH neutral snow foam bath
    Non acidic wheel cleaner
    PH neutral 2 bucket method body shampoo
    Iron X metal fallout removal
    Tar spots removal
    Full vehicle Clay bar
    Paintwork and wheels pat dried using microfibre towels
    Paintwork and wheels finished with hot air blower
    Crevis drying using hot air
    Positest paint thickness readings taken
    Paintwork inspected under proper lighting
    Multiple 1-6 stage machine polish using various compounds and pads to achieve best correction/swirl removal possible
    50/50 photos taken
    All chrome and stainless surfaces cleaned, polished and sealed
    Paintwork sealed
    Wheels sealed
    Windows polished and sealed
    Hand application on Swissvax best of show wax
    Plasitcs/bump strips dressed
    Tyres dressed
    Door sills polished and sealed

Hopefully they will do a full write up of my car on Detailing World with before, During and after pictures. They are looking forward to getting their hands on the car as even though they do a lot of exotic and expensive machinery they have an appreciation for all cars and know how rare and how much the Volvo means to me so its in good hands.

Cheers Simon

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Friday 26th July 2013)

Thread Information