Join Today
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Looking forward to seeing the paint correction results

Someone will be getting a great car come December.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the paint correction results

Someone will be getting a great car come December.
    They will indeed Graham!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Very excited as I am dropping the car off at the detailers tomorrow and leaving it for a few days. As mentioned earlier in the thread I am wanting to have a paint correction/machine polish carried out by a professional and even though they will be giving the car a full pre-wash, wash and so on it just would not be right to drop it off dirty!

So had a few hours on the car this morning and as usual a quick wash turned into a 5 hour mini-detail LOL.

Few last snaps of the car before it goes in...

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Doh..... get those horrible rivets swapped for some genuine ones in the wheel arch liners...

Beautifull car though..
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

bonelorry (Tuesday 27th August 2013)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    I know it's difficult to photograph Gul yellow cars, but boy am I looking forward to the outcome.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    Wow.

That's fantastic.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MIKESC70T5 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Doh..... get those horrible rivets swapped for some genuine ones in the wheel arch liners...

Beautifull car though..
    Thanks TC, Afraid the holes behind are a bit on the big side where the front bumper for the original items and so the wheel arch liner would not be a secure fitment.

There are 3 pop rivets fitted either side, I actually did four of them myself as the original items where not doing anything and the arch liner was in-secure so I drilled them out and re-fitted with rivets.

Not O.E I appreciate but still looks tidy IMO and more importantly its all secure.

Cheers Simon
    Last edited by bonelorry; Tuesday 27th August 2013 at 23:05.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just read through the thread from start to finish. That's a lot of hard work you have put in in a short space of time. Its good to see that their are owners that are still willing to pump the money in (and hard labour) to keep these models in fine condition.
    Look forward to seeing the pic's after the paint correction.

I will be following this thread to see when it comes up for sale.

Simon.
    BMW F80 M3 & modded 854 T-5R

12. The Following User Says Thank You to simonc For This Useful Post:

bonelorry (Wednesday 28th August 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simonc View Post
    Just read through the thread from start to finish. That's a lot of hard work you have put in in a short space of time. Its good to see that their are owners that are still willing to pump the money in (and hard labour) to keep these models in fine condition.
    Look forward to seeing the pic's after the paint correction.

Simon.
    Thanks Simon, I am glad that fellow members are enjoying the thread and hopefully I am not making it too boring LOL. I am very fortunate to have the facilities and knowledge which alot I have acquired off the forums to be able to carry out the work on my car to a high standard and in such a short space of time.

I have spent around the £1300 mark on the car since June but I dread to think how much it would have cost if I was paying someone else to do it?

I have not added up the labour time I have spent on the car to date....Probably around the 35 hour mark for all the mechanical work/renovation work. At £50 per hour labour thats well over £1500!

Not that this counts but it gets at least 2 hours most weekends for a basic clean or upto 6 hours if I am doing a detail.

It adds up but its money and time well spent Its my only hobby and I dont drink or smoke.

You are not the only one! I have had a PM on here and on UKSaabs from members already asking for first refusal on the car, Ofcourse it might come to nothing but its nice to have such appreciation for the car!

Cheers Simon

This user has no status
    Thanks

Simon.
    Me too Hope i have some "spare cash" available when it does

Stunning stunning car
    Thankyou, Goodnight....much love

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddo For This Useful Post:

bonelorry (Thursday 29th August 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Dropped the car off at the detailer's this afternoon and will be collecting on Friday, Think he was surprised how clean it already was as when I walked him around it and discussed wax options and so on. They get a lot of far more expensive machinery dropped off in a right state believe it or not!

There is a possibility he will be doing a full write up on my car if he has the time, Fingers crossed he does and I will update the thread!

Cheers

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

smithy (Wednesday 28th August 2013)

Clueless about Cars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 747 Posts
    Great thread mate and Top work! watching with interest

19. The Following User Says Thank You to iancho For This Useful Post:

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Looking forward to seeing/hearing about the results.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Got it back from the detailers...

So am I happy with it?

Over the moon!

Cant recommend these guys highly enough, I am very picky and like to think I keep the car clean and detailed to a very good standard but I was amazed to see the difference when I walked into the showroom area and saw the car sat there with all the lighting. The paint looks like glass with so much depth! Its as I have said before, You can achieve a decent finish at home but having the right know-how on machine polishers/pad compounds/polish compounds, Proper lighting and a temperature controlled environment to allow the waxes to cure properly makes a huge difference to the end result.

I did get complimented on the cars condition on arrival as I took the car in just after I had cleaned/Detailed it myself, He also mentioned how good my brakes looked all painted up and the quality of the under-sealing which I had done so I was very pleased with those comments. He said it was a pleasure to work on such a well looked after and rare car and that for a 19 year old car it was exceptional!

I sent him a bit of work a few months ago and have recommended quite a few people on various forums so as a thank you he has taken a load of photo's of the full detail start to finish and is going to do a full write up on Detailing World of my car, He also very kindly spent quite a bit more time on my car around 15 hours in total with no extra charge during the machine polish stage to get a near full correction and upgraded the wax from Swissvax Sheild to Swissvax Crystal Rock which is £795 per 200ml pot! Yes thats £795 LOL.

So just a few snaps of the car for now the first 2 are taken by Nick who did the work on the car and the last 3 are taken by me as I collected the car, I am awaiting the thread on Detailing World which will be much more detailed and show the different stages on the work with 50/50 shots etc Once this write up is uploaded I will put the link on here for those who would like to read it.

1AM this morning...Thats commitment! After the multiple stage machine polish and IPA wipe down...

After the refine stage, More gloss but still not waxed yet! The finishing products used where Swissvax including, Swissvax Crystal Rock wax Arguably the best wax you can buy!, Swissvax Autobahn wheel wax, Swissvax Pneu Glossy tyre dressing and Swissvax Seal feed on all the bumper tops/door bump strips aswell as the rubber window seals and rubber roof mouldings...

First snap I took as I arrived...

Hard to take snaps of the car with my camera under the lighting inside, So the car looks a different colour at the rear but as said this is just how the lighting hits the car...

Loads of depth, The whole car is like glass and is now virtually swirl free...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

iancho (Friday 30th August 2013)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    WOW that is nice, you must have either put a lot of work his way or have deep pockets....wax at £795 for 200ml

The result does look good though and I for one can't wait till we get to read the full write up.

Just the one downer.....by the look of those lines on the workshop floor he wasn't quite as careful driving it as detailing it lol

25. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

bonelorry (Friday 30th August 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    WOW that is nice, you must have either put a lot of work his way or have deep pockets....wax at £795 for 200ml

The result does look good though and I for one can't wait till we get to read the full write up.

Just the one downer.....by the look of those lines on the workshop floor he wasn't quite as careful driving it as detailing it lol
    Thanks Graham!

HAHA, Yes I said to him when I picked the car up....I hope they are not my tyre marks!

Apparently one of the lads who knows the owners uses the workshop and carries out work on his own excessively lowered Vauxhall Astra and the marks are from his car.

Dont worry I trust Nick implicitly with my car, He gets some very expensive and exotic machinery in there but really appreciated the Gul which was nice.

Yes the detail I had done today was not cheap, I spat my drink out last night when I found out how much that wax costs! I have spent quite a bit with him this year as I have had 2 Enhancment Details done with my own cars, A lad off T5D5 also went on my recommendation and spent a few hundred pounds with them.
    Last edited by bonelorry; Friday 30th August 2013 at 16:52.

Clueless about Cars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 747 Posts
    Looks amazing mate and really interesting to read about what has been done.... Will be great to get some outside pics, Well Done!

I'm going to Claybar mine on Monday and then machine Polish it.... I doubt it will look as good as yours! lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iancho View Post
    Looks amazing mate and really interesting to read about what has been done.... Will be great to get some outside pics, Well Done!

I'm going to Claybar mine on Monday and then machine Polish it.... I doubt it will look as good as yours! lol
    Thank you Ian my car has come on along way but I reckon its pretty much finished now

Your V70R is a very nice example indeed and that engine bay is spotless!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

iancho (Friday 30th August 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Looking lovely Simon! An exceptional example and i don't think anyone can take anything away from it...

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

31. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

bonelorry (Friday 30th August 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Looking lovely Simon! An exceptional example and i don't think anyone can take anything away from it...
    Thank you Andy, Means a lot!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Saturday 31st August 2013)

Thread Information