Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    'Ow do
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Takes a LOT of practise to get good at painting, I've been doing it for years and I still §§§§ up every now and again so don't feel to bad. If your going to cut the paint back make sure you've got a good thickness of paint on there before you do, dont want to be halway through making it shiny and then breakthrough to the primer do you?. If your going to repaint over the stuff you've already put down then just give it a quick flat with some 800's.
    Well to be fair I shouldnt be too hard on myself, its the bumper section Im most annoyed with, the rest of it looks fine. Glad to know the pro's still mess up now and again lol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Haizum74 For This Useful Post:

Tomcat (Thursday 13th June 2013)

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Christ I'm hardly a pro bud, just a very keen amateur.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

Haizum74 (Saturday 15th June 2013)

destroying super unleaded

Thanks
    spraying is a dark art, of which i'm sodding useless. . So i wouldn't be to hard on yourself, at least you got a decent colour match. last bit of spaying i tried it ended up being a cack finish and also the wrong soddin shade of red.. EPIC FAIL.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Immingham For This Useful Post:

Tomcat (Thursday 13th June 2013)

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Getting a good match is sadly down to who you get the paint off. I use to suppliers, one for just buying paint off for unimportant jobs and another for when it has to be right. The first guy charges about £30 a litre for basecoat the second guy charges nearly £60. One of my old 850's was Silver sand metallic and I had to paint it, I went to the first guy and got the paint, it was completely the wrong shade, after 3 attempts it was just getting further and further away. In the end I went to the second guy, paid the more expensive rate and it was bang on first time.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Getting a good match is sadly down to who you get the paint off. I use to suppliers, one for just buying paint off for unimportant jobs and another for when it has to be right. The first guy charges about £30 a litre for basecoat the second guy charges nearly £60. One of my old 850's was Silver sand metallic and I had to paint it, I went to the first guy and got the paint, it was completely the wrong shade, after 3 attempts it was just getting further and further away. In the end I went to the second guy, paid the more expensive rate and it was bang on first time.
    I got it from motosave, the guys there are a good bunch. Turns out the colour is 47% white with two types of yellow and some black too. Never thought of black being involved (no racism here like lol). Suffice to say the last place I went to said I didnt need a clear coat over the top coat.

Thread Information