Join Today
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Thumbs up ETM Changing Session

I made the most of the good weather today, went out and fitted the replacement ETM. So here's some photos of the job with a few comments, please note the photos aren't as sharp as they normally are because I've used the stills shot facility on my camcorder, (batteries are flat on my Olympus).

First job is always to disconnect the battery, something I forgot to do and ended up with sparks half way through the job when my tool hit the red cable (ooops!)

Anyway first, I gave the replacement ETM a good old clean as it was totally caked in carbon and burnt fuel deposits......

Before....

After..... (much better!)

Removed the radiator fan, part of the boost pipe, the air intake hose and the Intercooler to ETM pipe, disconnecting the electrical connectors where necessary....

(Intercooler to ETM pipe)...

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Now the ETM is ready to come off (4 x 10mm bolts)........

The old ETM (for comparison straight after I took it off, looking much cleaner than the new one did!).....

Photo showing the spot where the ETM fits to the Inlet Manifold, in the background is the new Alternator I fitted back in March....

The two ETM's together in this first photo, and then the two photos below show the stickers on each one individually, the first shows the replacement unit, the last photo shows the old unit. The numbers are slightly different but it seems to have made no difference to the compatibility......

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Saturday 8th June 2013)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Once it was all back together with the new unit installed (reverse of removal), a quick dust off and it runs like clockwork.

Whether the fault is fixed or the idle and throttle response issues are being caused by something else is yet to be seen. If I drive around for the next month and nothing crops up then it looks like I've sorted it, failing that I'll need to look at other possible causes. Fingers crossed though! 

The only complication I had was I managed to chew up the end of the Intercooler to ETM pipe where it connects to the ETM. As I tried to push the pipe back on it bent the edge of the pipe in a couple of places making it hard to fit back on but I managed it in the end. I think it's just been off so many times over the last year, the edge is starting to get a bit 'dog eared'.
    Last edited by JamesT5; Tuesday 4th June 2013 at 17:10.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Saturday 8th June 2013)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Well done James, hopefully that will cure one of your problems, be sure and let us know how you get on in the coming weeks.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    Well done James, hopefully that will cure one of your problems, be sure and let us know how you get on in the coming weeks.
    I will mate! I'm going to have to get the fuel sender changed asap for the spare I have sitting in a box here, because my fuel gauge has now stopped working and with so little fuel in the tank until pay day, every drive to work at the moment feels like a gamble.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Good work there mate. Hopefully, this one will last for the foreseeable
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Good work there mate. Hopefully, this one will last for the foreseeable
    I'm keeping the old one back for now in case the ETM isn't at fault and it's something else but with a P0121 DTC, I think it likely I'm on the money by changing the ETM.

Thanks
    The symptoms are classic marelli failure mate. I'd say you've done the right thing.

Thing is...

If the problem comes back, how will you know that it's not just the replacement ETM failing too?

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    The symptoms are classic marelli failure mate. I'd say you've done the right thing.

Thing is...

If the problem comes back, how will you know that it's not just the replacement ETM failing too?
    The thought had crossed my mind, and to be honest, short of putting brand new parts on there really is no way to tell for certain. Bit of a gamble I know!

I imagine a new ETM from Volvo will be 4 figures, so it's better I think, that you take a gamble on a used unit and see how the car goes.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    By the way, there was no recoding needed and the car just fired straight up when I reconnected the battery and turned the engine over. The car did idle a bit oddly to start with but after a couple of minutes it was absolutely fine. I think this was just the cars ECU relearning the parameters with the new ETM.

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Well done James. Lets hope you have cracked it and you can now move on to the next thing that needs sorting!! Cleaned up nicely didn't it?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to silverhorse For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Tuesday 4th June 2013)

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    well done James. cracking news that it was literrally a case of swap it then fire it up with no software changes required. gives me a little piece of mind if mine ever goes. touch wood it doesn't.
    good photos too.
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jdavis For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Tuesday 4th June 2013)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post
    Well done James. Lets hope you have cracked it and you can now move on to the next thing that needs sorting!! Cleaned up nicely didn't it?
    I've decided the gearbox job is going on hold until after I've tackled some of the smaller things and I've managed to shift the M56 and clutch I've got and banging my head against a brick wall trying to sell.

I've got an Aircon service next week (after pay day!) and I'm going to look in to whatever else I can do in the meantime that isn't going to break the bank and I can get sorted fairly pronto.

To answer your question, yes, it does clean up well but it's high maintenance and needs a regular coat of wax or it starts to look tired very quickly. I'm gagging to get the wheels re-powder coated or a good quality respray as they're in a shockingly bad state. But they'll have to wait until I have more finds and the bigger stuff is fixed.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
    well done James. cracking news that it was literrally a case of swap it then fire it up with no software changes required. gives me a little piece of mind if mine ever goes. touch wood it doesn't.
    good photos too.
    Yeah, an exact like for like swap (i.e. same engine and model year) should make it simple enough. Just watch it because a lot of the ETM's for sale are from 2.4 petrol engines or non turbo engines meaning they may not be compatible.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Good news that the change has solved your idling issues James. When I took my ETM off recently expecting it to be all dirty I was surprised to find it was really clean. I'm guessing that it may have therefore been done not long before I bought the car. So I made the quick decision to send it to the Voltronics guy for the contactless conversion that was just before the last BH weekend. Got it back Saturday but only managed to fit it this morning , like yours it started straight away and now idles as it should. Wonderful after over 18 months of up 'n down! As a matter of interest I did manage to do it without taking the rad fan off worst bit was I kept dropping the bloody bolts when trying to get them back in!
    Now, what to do next.....

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hillsidesteve View Post
    Good news that the change has solved your idling issues James. When I took my ETM off recently expecting it to be all dirty I was surprised to find it was really clean. I'm guessing that it may have therefore been done not long before I bought the car. So I made the quick decision to send it to the Voltronics guy for the contactless conversion that was just before the last BH weekend. Got it back Saturday but only managed to fit it this morning , like yours it started straight away and now idles as it should. Wonderful after over 18 months of up 'n down! As a matter of interest I did manage to do it without taking the rad fan off worst bit was I kept dropping the bloody bolts when trying to get them back in!
    Now, what to do next.....
    I've only had erratic idle twice from this problem but the car always felt 'lumpy'. Today, I took it out and gave it some welly (just a bit as petrol is short), and also around town at slower speeds and the car feels smoother than before. Perhaps it's psychological or perhaps I'm feeling the difference. But the power delivery is smoother and even the other half says she can feel the difference, the car doesn't jerk around so much as I come off the throttle to change gear.

I really need to give it a run around for a month to get a better idea as to whether the replacement ETM has in fact improved performance but early signs look good. I really hope I don't have to turn around in a few days and take that comment back, only time will tell.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Going to do this to my v70 on thursday but was just going to give it a clean as its the marelli unit but have a bosh to go on as ive heard the bosh needs to be coded to the car by volvo or can you do it by leaving the ignition on for a while for ecu to calibrate
    Cars
    2001 C70 2.0lpt Silver 163bhp

2005 S60 D5 SE Black 163bhp - Dyno'd 191.8Bhp 290 FTH

Thanks
    I'd like to see it tried but be prepared to have to wheel it to a stealer mate.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Plodmonkey View Post
    Going to do this to my v70 on thursday but was just going to give it a clean as its the marelli unit but have a bosh to go on as ive heard the bosh needs to be coded to the car by volvo or can you do it by leaving the ignition on for a while for ecu to calibrate
    You will find that when you turn it over the car does idle erratically for a couple of minutes but then sorts itself out. If you have a Bosch unit then I'll be interested to hear if you can just fit it on and let the car, leave the ignition on for a while and then fire it up. Please let us know because that will answer the question for sure, my money is on it sorting itself out without the need for a main stealer but I wasn't prepared to take that gamble myself.

Keep us updated mate!

Thanks
    Thing is - The Bosch unit auto calibrates itself - you can hear the butterfly fidgeting about with the ignition on and the engine off. It does it for a while. If the Marelli one doesn't do this, I can see why they're not compatible (supposedly). It'll be interesting to see what happens.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information