Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Dash not working properly after flat battery

I went out to a flat battery this morning its a 1998 v70 t5, started the car with a jump start but now i have no guages on the dash a loads of waning lights that usually go out when the car is started. I have checked that the terminals are tight and when the battery had charged a bit i turned it off and on again but sill the same.

Any ideas ??

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Check the fuses, you may have caused a power spike when you reconnected the battery which has then blown a fuse. Just a suggestion.

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Your hand book should tell you which fuse relates to the DIM.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Check the alternator is charging correctly and that there are no loose connections on the cable between the alternator and battery. Dash lighting up all the warning lights and not going out was an alternator fault for me in the past.

Ed

This user has no status
    Thanks
    All sorted thanks

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutternick View Post
    All sorted thanks
    That answer dont help anyone else with the same problem.

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamest5r View Post
    That answer dont help anyone else with the same problem.
    I agree. By the short answer i'm assuming he had a fuse blow. That will learn ya for not CORRECTLY jump starting!
    What was the fault then?? Do tell!!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Actually didn't find the cause I drove to car to work with no dash, came out at lunch and battery was dead again, I found the cause of that to b a faulty door switch causing the interior lights to stay on and when I started the car again all was well
    Last edited by Nutternick; Saturday 25th May 2013 at 11:39. Reason: spelling mistake

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutternick View Post
    Actually didn't find the cause I drove to car to work with no dash, came out at lunch and battery was dead again, I found the cause of that to b a faulty door switch causing the interior lights to stay on and when I started the car again all was well
    Ahh, the ol door switch fault. Very common on P1's.

Alas, my old lazer had the same fault but i found being more positive closing the door (without slamming it) fixed the fault and i just learned how to close the door so it did not cause further problems. The permanent fix is of course a new door switch.

Theoretically you didn't have any fault with the dash. It just got confused due to the low voltage and possibly the jump start. Once you turned off and back on, all was reset and good to go.
    I do find it surprising that your battery was flat after you'd drove to work again. I would consider testing your battery after a few hours bench charge or just get rid and get the biggest, most powerful battery you can afford!!
    Assuming you have a genuine/or equivalent 027 fitted with about 540CCA/EN??? Probably.
    You can fit a Bosch 5* silver 096 in the hole. 5 yr warranty and bloody powerful.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    You can fit a Bosch 5* silver 096 in the hole. 5 yr warranty and bloody powerful.
    ......and bloody expensive no doubt lol

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    ......and bloody expensive no doubt lol
    No, not really. Not much more than £100. If you were to get an AGM battery then you'd be looking at £200!!

Thread Information