Join Today
    Singing in the rain!
    Thanks

2001 v40 diesel timing probs

Righteo after three years of neglect my car is turning into a shed. noticed that belts and brakes needed doing so I set out on the job last weekend (9 days ago). Brakes done and unseized new pads and discs. belts bought and replaced. Car won't run! :-(
    crank pulley locked at TDC with an 8mm hard steel drift. camshaft at TDC but is just to the front (clockwise) of the mark on the metal back plate. set camshaft by rocking the camshaft approximately 2cm which is all the play before I can feel the valves hitting the pistons. set TDC as the centre of the rocking. all pics I can find show TDC as to the rear (anticlockwise) of the mark on the back plate.
    Have I knacked this up completely? there is no unnerving metallic noises or resistance when turning engine by hand or with the starter! could it be a fuelling issue? Any advice welcome.
    Last edited by CONDYBOY; Tuesday 14th May 2013 at 20:53.
    "I am never wrong! Just in a position to learn something new!"
    Mods so far, HLM ReMap, Goodridge brake lines, Eibach springs lowering 35mm, K&N57i filter with cold air, Strut brace, Shark fin aerial, Boost guage
    YES IT'S A DIESEL
    Wish list, BOV, 18" rims, Struts, Stainless exhaust, Injector Upgrade, MORE POWER!

Singing in the rain!
    Thanks
    YAY! I got the timing sorted. turns out it needs to be one tooth forward (clockwise) of the centre of free play. noticed however that the aux belt pulley is sitting on a strange angle. it is pivoting at an angle so more needs done. will get the car ship shape soon.
    Mods so far, HLM ReMap, Goodridge brake lines, Eibach springs lowering 35mm, K&N57i filter with cold air, Strut brace, Shark fin aerial, Boost guage
    YES IT'S A DIESEL
    Wish list, BOV, 18" rims, Struts, Stainless exhaust, Injector Upgrade, MORE POWER!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CONDYBOY View Post
    Righteo after three years of neglect my car is turning into a shed. noticed that belts and brakes needed doing so I set out on the job last weekend (9 days ago). Brakes done and unseized new pads and discs. belts bought and replaced. Car won't run! :-(
    crank pulley locked at TDC with an 8mm hard steel drift. camshaft at TDC but is just to the front (clockwise) of the mark on the metal back plate. set camshaft by rocking the camshaft approximately 2cm which is all the play before I can feel the valves hitting the pistons. set TDC as the centre of the rocking. all pics I can find show TDC as to the rear (anticlockwise) of the mark on the back plate.
    Have I knacked this up completely? there is no unnerving metallic noises or resistance when turning engine by hand or with the starter! could it be a fuelling issue? Any advice welcome.
    If your's is common rail (which I assume it is) then you need to line up the top cam pulley with the mark on the backplate. Locking the crank is only worth doing if you are using the correct timing pin as on some vehicles with a screw in pin the pin changes diameter where the crank contacts it and the incorrect diameter pin can have a big difference on where exactly the cranks sits. The important thing on these engines however is that the cam belt itself has timing lines on it that must be lined up with the marks on the campulley and crank. If you didn't line these up then you need to start again, time the cam pulley up with it's mark then slip the belt off and refit it so that the marks on the belt line up with the marks on the pulleys (you may need to rotate the crank a little) then tension the belt and rotate the engine by hand. I doubt fueling will be the issue as the pump doesn't need to be timed on these engines.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

CONDYBOY (Wednesday 15th May 2013)

Singing in the rain!
    Thanks
    Cheers nobananas.
    Crank pin worked well enough. Belt had no markings. Just took a guess as to timing being one tooth out. Hit lucky. Aux belt pulley is out of line though and needs to be replaced.
    YES IT'S A DIESEL

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CONDYBOY View Post
    Cheers nobananas.
    Crank pin worked well enough. Belt had no markings. Just took a guess as to timing being one tooth out. Hit lucky. Aux belt pulley is out of line though and needs to be replaced.
    Good result then mate, didn't see your second post as I was typing reply, was fresh in my mind as I did a Vauxhall Vivaro van today, same Renault lump as your V40.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

CONDYBOY (Monday 20th May 2013)

Singing in the rain!
    Thanks
    Engine running sweet as a nut dipped in honey and the in sugar!
    now just got the bodywork and fuel lines to do. oh the joy of bodywork!
    but at least the motors still pulling l;ike a train producing over thirty psi of boost :-P
    YES IT'S A DIESEL

Thread Information