Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Buying a V70 D5 - slight metallic ticking/tapping? Please Help

Hi Guys,

I am a new member to this forum and this is my first post, after reading through some of the posts and topics i am hoping to be a regular visitor and contributing member in the future.

I currently own a 1998 V70R AWD but due to requiring more fuel economy i have reluctantly decided to sell it on, the good news is i am sticking with Volvo and buying a V70 D5 instead. I am hoping that you guys with your experience can help me with my question about a particular V70 D5 that i have been to view & test drive.

The car i have seen is a V70 D5 (2002 Reg with 139,000 Miles) which i really like and is within my budget, the car is pretty tidy but the only thing i have noticed is a slight metallic style ticking or tapping which seems to be coming from the middle to top of the engine and towards the right hand side if you are looking at the engine from the front of the car?

Does anyone have any idea what it could potentially be, is it anything to worry about? In your experienced opinions what do you think the potential causes could be? It sounds too faint to be a tappet style sound but not sure.

I don't know that much about the D5 engine to be fair so thought this would be on of the best places to ask. I do like the car and am considering buying it but understandably what i don't want is to end up with big bills for repairs as soon as i buy the car. Any responses are greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Cheers, Vern

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Hi Vern, welcome along.

Firstly, if you can find a later model (2004 on) you'd be better off in the long run as the early P2 cars were known for their niggles. However, I think the tapping is normal for a DERV, but others may be able to confirm or disprove that one.

It's worth asking the seller if the mixer pipe and EGR valve have been cleared as these can bung up with tar and spoil the engine (maybe even cause the tapping...?) It's a dirty but relatively easy job which you can use to barter the price down a bit as a garage would probably charge 2 hours + to do it.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Yep, gut feeling would be a noisy injector.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

4. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Tuesday 14th May 2013)

Thanks
    Mr D got a replacement injector for £70 fitted iirc...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Guys,

Thank you for your responses and advice, i have asked around and most seem to suggest injectors, thanks again for your time and hopefully i will have as little issues as possible.

M-R-P - Unfortunately my budget wont stretch to a 2004 onwards at the moment so i am limited to 02-03 kind of age but thank you anyway :-)

Thanks
    Fair enough mate. The D5s tend not to suffer with the gremlins as much ad the petrol models do.

You could possibly run with a noisy injector for ever or it could fail tomorrow but there's always spares around on the forums.

Good luck mate

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

230K, aiming for 300k!

Thanks
    My 2003 D5 has been running for nearly 100K miles with noisy injectors and an occasional fuel rail depressurisation issue (linked to the injector problem).

The Black engine cover D5's >2004 will give the better fuel economy as they don't have the DPF. The later grey engine cover 163 and 185bhp models have the Euro 4 or 5 (I cant remember) engines, but the fuel economy suffers.

Main thing to check is the undertray towards the front for the tell tale signs of a failed intercooler. They distort and then start leaking. £300 + Fitting if it's gone, although the car will run well enough with it popped!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the extra pointers :-)

Thread Information