Join Today
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Right.
    Got the bars from JamesT5 today. Cheers for that mate. I did not burn off the rubber as I don't have a blow torch, so I mounted a drill in my vice and attached a wire wheel. I cut off most of the rubber with a stanley knife and then the wire wheel took the rest off in about 30 seconds.
    Thank God that once they were cleaned up, they were the right ones with the indent. (well done Martin, you said they would be!!)
    Anyway, pressed poly bushes on, no problems. Then tried to press them into the wishbones.....
    What a f3ckin nightmare!!!
    Will try again tomorrow. After 2 hours of cocking about, I gave up.
    Following your 'how to' guide Martin, but I think I need a bigger G clamp.

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post
    Right.
    Got the bars from JamesT5 today. Cheers for that mate. I did not burn off the rubber as I don't have a blow torch, so I mounted a drill in my vice and attached a wire wheel. I cut off most of the rubber with a stanley knife and then the wire wheel took the rest off in about 30 seconds.
    Thank God that once they were cleaned up, they were the right ones with the indent. (well done Martin, you said they would be!!)
    Anyway, pressed poly bushes on, no problems. Then tried to press them into the wishbones.....
    What a f3ckin nightmare!!!
    Will try again tomorrow. After 2 hours of cocking about, I gave up.
    Following your 'how to' guide Martin, but I think I need a bigger G clamp.
    Glad I was able to help you out and they were the correct bars, although I'm suprised the Royal Mail took that long to deliver a Second Class package. Just think though, that rubber was on my car one day as were the bars.

This Polybushing of wishbones does sould like a tit of a job to do which is why I won't be doing it myself, ever. I'll either buy pre-powerflexed wishbones, get a garage to to it, or just simply change them for standard rubber ones.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    You'll need to force the G-clamp straight mate, it'll try to wander. Once you've got some pressure on it, part of the lip goes into the wishbone but the rest refuses to go and the bush twists. This is where you need to use a screwdriver push the rest of the lip in. It's pretty easy from there.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    OK, finally got the Poly bushes done. OH MY GOD!! What a monumental pain in the ar3e that was.
    Martin, I have absolutely no idea how you pressed yours in with a G clamp whilst the wishbone was still in situ. Respect is due for that!!
    Anyway, I got the wishbones off, which was no probs apart from the bolts were VERY tight. (lots of plusgas). The balljoints just fell off in my hands, which was a rare piece of good fortune!
    Then tried to press in with G clamps with wishbone in a vice. Nope!
    Then went to a local HGV garage I know who let me use their 200 ton(!!!) press free of charge. They practically fell in!!
    So back to car to refit wishbones. Another pain in the ar3e, but with some persuasion, they went in eventually.
    Laser alignment to follow to be sure everything is as it should be.

When I started this job, I thought it would be reasonably straight forward..........
    Next time (if there is a next time) I will swallow the extra expense and get bushed wishbones to make life a bit easier.
    BTW, pleased with how car drives though. Feels tighter on poly's, only slightly more road noise, not much difference in ride, but lots more feel. Pleased!

So big thanks to Jamie at PFV, for the advice. JamesT5 for the selling me the bars and MRP for the guidance.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverhorse For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Wednesday 5th June 2013),M-R-P (Wednesday 5th June 2013)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    I have a picture of my wishbones Martin did with the G clamps.....I don't however have a picture of him hanging on the vice !

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    OK, finally got the Poly bushes done. OH MY GOD!! What a monumental pain in the ar3e that was.
    Martin, I have absolutely no idea how you pressed yours in with a G clamp whilst the wishbone was still in situ. Respect is due for that!!
    Anyway, I got the wishbones off, which was no probs apart from the bolts were VERY tight. (lots of plusgas). The balljoints just fell off in my hands, which was a rare piece of good fortune!
    Then went to a local HGV garage I know who let me use their 200 ton(!!!) press free of charge. They practically fell in!!
    So back to car to refit wishbones. Another pain in the ar3e, but with some persuasion, they went in eventually.

When I started this job, I thought it would be reasonably straight forward..........
    Next time (if there is a next time) I will swallow the extra expense and get bushed wishbones to make life a bit easier.
    BTW, pleased with how car drives though. Feels tighter on poly's, only slightly more road noise, not much difference in ride, but lots more feel. Pleased!

So big thanks to Jamie at PFV, for the advice. JamesT5 for the selling me the bars and MRP for the guidance.
    The wishbones do look like a real nightmare to do which is why I just sold them to MRP to have an refurbish. Glad you've sorted it though Paul, you shouldn't need to redo those again assuming you used the copper slip to lubricate the bushes.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts

Glad you're all sorted mate. I should have made it a bit clearer on my how-to that it takes a fair bit of grunt to get the polys in, mainly the turning of the G-clamp while holding everything steady. I spend a lot of time at work, swinging from spanners, fixing machines so it's not too bad for me (you can just about make-out the popeye forearm in Graham's pic) but it was still a fair bit of effort.

The P1 bushes were the other way round - getting the polys in is easy but getting the old bush out required some serious vice work (and a lot of bad language lol)
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Kawasaki T5. Built by a Swede,
    Driven by a turnip!
    Thanks
    glad you got your sorted bud!!
    done mine last week. my old bush was barely hangin on! much better now and handles like a dream!
    i just wanna sexually abuse my car now
    ive got 2 pairs of arms im polying up to flog on. already done one with the powerflex end, just waiting on more new bushes lol

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Glad you've sorted it though Paul, you shouldn't need to redo those again assuming you used the copper slip to lubricate the bushes.
    Yep. I used about a litre of the stuff!!

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5RatherAmusin View Post
    i just wanna sexually abuse my car now
    Steady....!

Looks nice and shiny under there!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to silverhorse For This Useful Post:

T5RatherAmusin (Wednesday 5th June 2013)

Thread Information