Join Today

Threaded View

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts

Arduino Based Boost Gauge

Currently I think I have a boost problem so was looking around for a boost gauge to plumb in but couldn't settle on one I liked. So my thought train moved onto making a small LED one using an LM3914 bargraph kit but the kit/chip is limited in its options. I had evolved the idea into something more complex with a vacuum and boost display.

I remembered I bought an Arduino board last year with the intention of using it for building a firing box but haven't yet got round to doing it. So after some more research I put some code together, bought an LCD and came up with this....

On startup it displays a welcome message

And has current and Peak boost figures

Currently it is in its very early development stage, I'm just waiting for a MAP sensor to arrive (hopefully tomorrow ) and I should be able to get some testing done. The LCD screen is a Green backlit one but there are various colours available.

So far cost wise the Arduino board was £25, LCD screen £8, MAP Sensor £12

I'm planning on adding a bargraph to it so it has a more visual representation.

Further development would see selectable displays like oil temp and EGT and a whole range of other things including full colour OLED screens (one could get carried away I suppose (LOL as if I said 'one')). I have seen one project where a guy used a Wii nunchuck as a menu controller so will be toying around with that idea too.

Obviously there is some device out there that will be able to do all this but I do like a good DIY project
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Saturday 11th May 2013),Tomcat (Saturday 11th May 2013)

Thread Information