Join Today
    Problem Solving

Thanks

Unhappy V40 P2 T3 Air Conditioning Woes

The other day I decided to go get my Air-Con recharge as it wasn't blowing as cold as I thought it should. Now there were no flashing lights on the climate system on start up so wasn't aware of an issue just assumed the refrigerant was a bit low.

From the word go things didnt look good, system was not holding consistent vacuum, and 0 reclaimed material.

So the machine went into a pressure test and almost immediately confirmed a leak. So I asked the technician if they had some OFN so I could pressurise the system and try and narrow down the location of the leak. Fitted the nitrogen pipe and on turning it on loud whoosh from the compressor region. 2nd blast confirmed this, as they were unable to refill I wasnt charged.

Tonight I searched the every join with a UV lamp to see if it was a seal, removed the under tray and check the compressor nothing, but the UV light showed up a large stain on the lower bracket of the radiator, ran hand up the low pressure pipe and its been rubbing on the mount and worn through.

Now was this a common problem and subject to recall or have I just been unlucky.

I guess im going to need to go to Volvo (FRF Swansea) for the new low pressure pipe and Reciver/Dryer (as i dont know how long the systems been open) but does anyone have a rough price for them?

Thanks in advance

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    My mate Sam (Mr D) had the same problem. I think it cost him about £250 to have the pipe fitted and the system regassed.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Cymro (Wednesday 8th May 2013)

Problem Solving

Thanks
    Seems a silly design, Not a bad price overall, I can do all the fitting myself thankfully, Ive already purchased A/C O-rings as I thought it was going to be a blown ring I was looking for.

Also a very tiny bit of dye ive found around the condenser connection points to dodgy o-ring.

Problem Solving

Thanks
    Spoke to FRF.

The suction pipe is £122 for the 2003 V40 and the reciver/dryer/accumulator is £94.

Now I know I can pick up a accumulator for £33 from ECP so all in all it could be worse.

Thread Information