Join Today
    V70 R ish
    Thanks

Volvo v70 2461cc Turbo diesel Timing issue

Hi there just bought a Tdi 1997 model unsure of where the timing marks are and not sure its timed correctly to, i would like to check, runs fine pulls really hard but it sounds like its out of timing some how any ideas or is it because its a diesel? slight ticking about 2500 rpm but only on full boost and doesnt do it on sationary rev and dont think its the bottom end perhaps a sticky tappet, but i would just like to know really oh and the engine mangement light is on, thanks in advance for you time
    Ben Watson

V70 R ish
    Thanks
    The light is on the dash because of timing control whatever that means ?
    Ben Watson

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    These engine are very fussy on timing and if it was out it would smoke and would take time to start and smoke a lot.They do have cam probs at some point in their life so you might wanna take the cam cover off and inspect cam,also a vacuum pump can make similar noise too which u can check by taking the aux belt off and rev the same way as when it did tap.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The injector pump is run from a second belt on the other end of the engine from the cambelt and is driven off the back of the cam. Trouble is you have to get everything spot on, if you are out a little on the cam timing (say half a tooth or less) it wouldn't normally matter too much but on these engines it also throws the injector timing out a bit (which does matter !). I have even timed these up spot on on the VW T4 vans and they still wouldn't run happily without a little 'fettling' !
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

V70 R ish
    Thanks
    Thanks guys gonna get diesel lec to set the pump up with a gauge or wont that work am i wasting my money ?
    Ben Watson

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewatsonsmouts View Post
    Thanks guys gonna get diesel lec to set the pump up with a gauge or wont that work am i wasting my money ?
    You can do it mate.I had an s80 smoking like an old train etc using the gauge there are diff settings to move the fuel pump 0.35 or .0.55 so I did 0.55 and was tarting spot on and the emission light went out without resetting after a little drive

This user has no status

Thanks
    You can get it to run by setting the timing marks up but it then has to have the dynamic timing set using software. Vol fcr 1.7> will do up to 98 cars with MSA15.7 but 99 and on MSA15.8 need to be done with VIDA Dice. You'll never get it spot on without the software

V70 R ish
    Thanks
    so without doing that the light wont go out? It has been coming on and off but usually comes back on when up to temp. Will the engine be ok like this or will it do damage its hopefully gonna be recammed and head reconded next yr but just need her to do some work first lol

Also i have a prob with the rear damper mounting on the cross member. the end of it sheerd and volvo said new crossmember, may have to make something up ?
    Ben Watson

Thread Information