Join Today
    OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts

Which spray gun to buy

I know there is some one on here who does paint work for a living but i cannot for the life of me rememeber who you are so ill ask here hoping you will see this.
    Right then im looking into buying a new spray gun ready to do the 240 resto in the past weve used a cheeper clarke suction fed gun but i fancy treating my self to a new one as thats been used to spray the fabrication work ive been doing (gates etc).
    The question is the cheeper suction fed gun i have we used it for primer, base and clear which is great.
    Im wanting to go for a devilbiss gun but which one, the suction fed guns seem to be fine for doing base and clear from what ive read but with the gravity fed guns they seem to be deicated to one or the other is there a gravity fed gun that will do both or will it need the needles changing i have a good compressor set up with 200ltr tank with 3hp motor i dont know exactly what cfm it flows tho.
    Main questions
    1.Is the devilbiss the gun to go for or would you reccomend something else.
    2.Which devilbiss gun to go for.
    3.Suction fed or gravity.
    4.Should i buy a cheeper gun just for the primer and which one.
    5.The paint on the 240 is metallic so what needle set up would you use.
    6.Any pointer would be much apperciated

Cheers

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Pete, I've been spraying for years (though I'm no expert), I have a suction fed gun (a cheap one) for the primer and I like to have a seperate gun for clear and colour. I've never paid a fortune for my guns, think the most I've paid is about £30-£40, I know Devilbiss make good stuff as I have one of their airbrushes but do you really need to spend a massive amount on a gun if youre not doing it for a living?.. I've never had any problems with my cheapish ones..
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

t5 pete (Saturday 4th May 2013)

"Need More Power
    Captain"
    Thanks
    dont know about anyone else but i use a gravity fed gun fella
    this is my badboy use it on all the trucks in work and gives a lovely even finish
    http://www.devilbisseu.com/en-gb/pro...feed-spray-gun

and like tomcat says no point in spending a fortune if just for casual use
    and yes a cheapist one always best for primer
    C70 2.4 T Saffy Pearl now dead and stripped
    850 T5 "the Turk" wagon
    V70 D5 parked up for sale
    V50 1.8s family wagon

5. The Following User Says Thank You to c70geoff For This Useful Post:

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Pete, I've been spraying for years (though I'm no expert), I have a suction fed gun (a cheap one) for the primer and I like to have a seperate gun for clear and colour. I've never paid a fortune for my guns, think the most I've paid is about £30-£40, I know Devilbiss make good stuff as I have one of their airbrushes but do you really need to spend a massive amount on a gun if youre not doing it for a living?.. I've never had any problems with my cheapish ones..
    Cheers tc i understand what ur saying regarding spending alot on a gun that will only be used occasionally every year, im not too clued up on spraying tackle but i just looked at it the way i do with the fabrication work and building work you only get what you pay for but if a cheeper gun will do the same job and last as long in certainly up for that

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    hey maybe you mean me, as far as primer guns 99% of painters use a cheap gun me included.
    i personally use iwata gravety fed guns and swear by them. i may be biased but in my and many others they are some of the best you can get.
    i dont like devilbiss gun myself but again many do.

it depends on how much you have to spend on a gun, also im gessing you will be using solvent base coat.
    in which case you will only need one gun.
    waterbase usually requires its own gun as they atomise the paint diffrently. again this does depend on the gun, ie my iwata wbx's which are my waterborne base guns can also spray clear and they lay it down so flat its untrue.

in all honesty most guns can be used to do most things ferinstance a devilbiss gti base can also spray clear and wet on wet primer perfectly fine.

let me know what your price range is along with what products you are using ect.. and ill try to help.

my all round old trusty gun which i use for solvent base wet on wet primer and clearing on bigger jobs is a Iwata W400 with a 1.4 tip

8. The Following User Says Thank You to no1tosh For This Useful Post:

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    its also worth looking for a second hand one on ebay, you will get a better gun for your money

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Yeah, I've no doubt at all that if you go spending £3-400 on a gun it'll be friggin amazing. I know Devilbiss make good stuff as I've got one of their airbrushes but I've replaced it for a Japanese one (an Iwata), It probably costs half what the Devilbiss one cost new and it's so much nicer to use. The guns I've had get abused, I don't usually have time to strip them down and clean them properly after each spray job, they just get rinsed out and left with a little bit of thinners in them to stop them getting gummed up and I've never had a problem. I would recommend getting a touch up gun though as a big gun will put an awfull lot of paint out very quickly and if your doing something small you dont want to drown it in paint do you?
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    yep tom cat is right, im suggesting you go and by a new top of the range gun i would look for a second hand one.
    are you doing a full respray or just the odd pannel?
    and what is the colour you are painting?

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by no1tosh View Post
    hey maybe you mean me, as far as primer guns 99% of painters use a cheap gun me included.
    i personally use iwata gravety fed guns and swear by them. i may be biased but in my and many others they are some of the best you can get.
    i dont like devilbiss gun myself but again many do.

it depends on how much you have to spend on a gun, also im gessing you will be using solvent base coat.
    in which case you will only need one gun.
    waterbase usually requires its own gun as they atomise the paint diffrently. again this does depend on the gun, ie my iwata wbx's which are my waterborne base guns can also spray clear and they lay it down so flat its untrue.

in all honesty most guns can be used to do most things ferinstance a devilbiss gti base can also spray clear and wet on wet primer perfectly fine.

let me know what your price range is along with what products you are using ect.. and ill try to help.

my all round old trusty gun which i use for solvent base wet on wet primer and clearing on bigger jobs is a Iwata W400 with a 1.4 tip
    Yep i think it was you who i was reffering to lol i will be using solven based and as for price wise any thing up to £200 for both guns oh and one other question after finishing the clear coat how long do you leave it before using 1500 to flat it and what compound do you use with the machine polisher to bring it back .
    Cheers

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    yep tom cat is right, im suggesting you go and by a new top of the range gun i would look for a second hand one.
    are you doing a full respray or just the odd pannel?
    and what is the colour you are painting?
    Its a full car i will be doing personally ide like to get a new one or doesnt it really matter i always worrie how things have been used before me ive had a few problems with second hand stuff and not too keen on it but i may have just been unlucky.
    Heres the car/colour the one on the left

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    well go for a £20 primer gun with say a 1.6 tip if your doing small stuff and 2.0 if your going to be priming whole pannels ect..

like i said above i woould seriously go for a second hand iwata w400 which usally go for about £120-£150
    if you want more control and not painting in a warm enviroment like a booth 1.3 tip, which a safer option as it wont lash the paint on as much as a 1.4 tip.
    get a preasure gauge aswell, a cheap one will only be £15 but you need to keep an eye on the preasre at the gun to keep everything even.

i would leave it at least a week before you flat with 1500's but i would most certainly reflat with 2000's to make you buffing easyer.

if you need any help id be more than happy to come and give you a hand

15. The Following User Says Thank You to no1tosh For This Useful Post:

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    if you want this gun for a one off id be happy for you to use mine, save yourself some cash

17. The Following User Says Thank You to no1tosh For This Useful Post:

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    well go for a £20 primer gun with say a 1.6 tip if your doing small stuff and 2.0 if your going to be priming whole pannels ect..

like i said above i woould seriously go for a second hand iwata w400 which usally go for about £120-£150
    if you want more control and not painting in a warm enviroment like a booth 1.3 tip, which a safer option as it wont lash the paint on as much as a 1.4 tip.
    get a preasure gauge aswell, a cheap one will only be £15 but you need to keep an eye on the preasre at the gun to keep everything even.

i would leave it at least a week before you flat with 1500's but i would most certainly reflat with 2000's to make you buffing easyer.

if you need any help id be more than happy to come and give you a hand
    Thats awesome thank you its much apperciated

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    if you want this gun for a one off id be happy for you to use mine, save yourself some cash
    Thats very kind thank you i will keep that in mind

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    no problems pal, one thing you will have to get is a good mask, because its dangerous stuff, you dont want it getting on your chest, if its used as a one off 3M do one for about £15 which should be ok

21. The Following User Says Thank You to no1tosh For This Useful Post:

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    no problems pal, one thing you will have to get is a good mask, because its dangerous stuff, you dont want it getting on your chest, if its used as a one off 3M do one for about £15 which should be ok
    but if he has a mask how does he consume the 20 cans of Smith's a night?

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    I have a good mask i use for grind out houses so hopefully it will be ok
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sundstrom-...item257d7895cb

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamest5r View Post
    but if he has a mask how does he consume the 20 cans of Smith's a night?
    Pmsl im not the man i used to be my mini me makes up for the 5 extra cans to make it 20 again

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    hahahah

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you get a second hand gun and §§§§ it up you can blame the equipment!

Tony,

cut n blow dry,perms,and tinting prices on request!

Thread Information