Join Today

Thread: V70 r (03) mpg

This user has no status

Thanks

V70 r (03) mpg

Dear All

Is there anything 'out there' than can up the MPG on a V70 R 2003? I have a speedhawk in my Mrs V70 D5 giving me 57mpg right now, and I am hoping there is something out there that can justify a purchase!!! I think I know the answer to this, but here's hoping...

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Another d5

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Don't drive it?

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    A good service would help. Also, I found fitting a set of refurbished injectors gave me another 6-8mpg.
    Cleaning the MAF might help a bit too.

Thing is, it's a 2.5L turbocharged car that, with 2 passengers, isn't too far off 2 ton. The AWD will be hammering the fuel economy too. What's your weekly average mpg at the moment?
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    My R does 18 mpg around town and 32 mpg on a run if I stay at speed limits.
    Sounds like you need a D5 if you can't live with the lower MPG.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thank you all - like I say, I thought I knew the answer to my question, but you never know. MRP - I can do as much as 2K per month (the new car - whatever it is - would be for work) and you're quite right a V70 R is what it is so to speak. I am starting to look at the D5 'Sport' models now. Thing is, I just love the R's! I have a 1995 T5R (gull) that I am bringing to one of the site events as soon as one comes up that's close enough and works with the diary. Thanks again guys - it was worth a punt eh?

This user has no status

Thanks
    ideas to improve economy on any car - 1) smaller wheels with narrower tyres reduces rolling resistance 2) choice of tyre affects economy 3) tyre pressues - ensure they are correct or a fraction higher as slight over inflation reduces rolling resistance again 4) remove any excess weight from the car - random crap we all keep in cars that you never use, just take it out 5) dont use the AC as that increases consumptions 6) turn off any electric device you dont need as this draws current which increases alternator load which increases engine load 7) manage gear changes and anticipate what the traffic is doing - if its a manual do not slip it in to neutral as you coast, keep in gear. You want to try and keep the car rolling and basically avoid first unless you are actually stationary 8) be sure you use the right gear - think you do better at 40 in 5th than 4th? (based on my 5 speed S60 2.0T) wrong. Due to you having to press the pedal ever so slightly harder to maintain momentum you actually use more fuel.

If you stick to just driving like this I have seen an average of 46.3 out of my 2.0T. Problem is i get bored and end up keeping crap in my car and it was hot today so I'm only getting 34.1
    Must do my tyre pressures..

This user has no status

Thanks
    I had the same problem with my xc so ive now got a diesel

the only true way to save money on fuel is diesel or lpg conversion lpg gives you same mpg but is cheaper

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevmo View Post
    ideas to improve economy on any car - 1) smaller wheels with narrower tyres reduces rolling resistance 2) choice of tyre affects economy 3) tyre pressues - ensure they are correct or a fraction higher as slight over inflation reduces rolling resistance again 4) remove any excess weight from the car - random crap we all keep in cars that you never use, just take it out 5) dont use the AC as that increases consumptions 6) turn off any electric device you dont need as this draws current which increases alternator load which increases engine load 7) manage gear changes and anticipate what the traffic is doing - if its a manual do not slip it in to neutral as you coast, keep in gear. You want to try and keep the car rolling and basically avoid first unless you are actually stationary 8) be sure you use the right gear - think you do better at 40 in 5th than 4th? (based on my 5 speed S60 2.0T) wrong. Due to you having to press the pedal ever so slightly harder to maintain momentum you actually use more fuel.

If you stick to just driving like this I have seen an average of 46.3 out of my 2.0T. Problem is i get bored and end up keeping crap in my car and it was hot today so I'm only getting 34.1
    Must do my tyre pressures..
    And i thought i was anal!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flanimal View Post
    Dear All

Is there anything 'out there' than can up the MPG on a V70 R 2003? I have a speedhawk in my Mrs V70 D5 giving me 57mpg right now, and I am hoping there is something out there that can justify a purchase!!! I think I know the answer to this, but here's hoping...
    1) A remap - might gain you 5%
    2) Terraclean - Definitely will gain you mpg aswell as making the car drive smoother, better throttle response, pull harder and faster, idle smoother.
    3) Tyres - under inflated create drag and therefore increase mpg.
    4) Ditch the missus, kids and all their crap!
    5) A clean car - always drives nicer, faster and get more MPG because less dirt = less drag!!!

My car is an '04 and has 130k. I get 22mpg round town and 36mpg on a steady motorway, cruise control on at 70mpg.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    And i thought i was anal!
    That I am

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    If u wanna keep the R an LPG system is yr answer.All the above won`t make a massive difference where is using lpg will level up to a D5 economy equivalent.

Thread Information