Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    is that for me dave or cheery1809. if me ive got a give made ive got 12mm flanged that bolt to head and ive got a supplier for the bends. all im lacking if the motavation to go ahead and build one. the 5-1 collector isnt as treaky as youd think. its basically a 4-1 collector with a 1.5" hole machined inside of the collector. after this its a case of piping up. not as easy as youd think though. all welds need to be purged and id say full pen to. east enough for a pipe fitter or a pipe tig welder but certainly not a job for some one with no stainless pipe experience. the manifold from chris tullet is 1800 for a reason.
    I was more thinking of you Graeme but like you said CTE charge 1800 for a reason.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    its something i was was planning to build. it wasnt to fit on my car but just to say id built one and use it for a picture for a website when i finaly get setup.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

This status has no user
    Thanks
    That'll be fine chap
    Once he's got the jig made up and he's taken measurements from under the bonnet, it's just a waiting game.

Current Chariots...
    Micra K11 'project sh*tbox'
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cherry1809 View Post
    That'll be fine chap
    Once he's got the jig made up and he's taken measurements from under the bonnet, it's just a waiting game.
    Send me a delivery address & I will send it on.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

cherry1809 (Wednesday 2nd October 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    If there's enough interest for a group buy, I'm sure Chris Tullett would do them a bit cheaper. Plus they're quality is impeccable. I should know

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Chris Tullett fabbed my 3" downpipe for my GTX garrett conversion so I know how good they are.
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Thursday 3rd October 2013 at 00:07.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie-r View Post
    If there's enough interest for a group buy, I'm sure Chris Tullett would do them a bit cheaper. Plus they're quality is impeccable. I should know

i take it you work for them. or him
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

This user has no status

Thanks
    i take it you work for them. or him
    Yeah I've only been there a month but the problem with doing 1 manifold is the time it takes making jigs and actually designing the thing and converting it from a cad file to a jig to working out what bends we need to bend e.t.c. once we've got a jig and patterns one of the lads could probably knock one out in a day or two whereas just doing the one could take well over a week and lots of wasted expensive material.

I'm only an apprentice there, but some if the guys have been welding well over 20years, and work to tolerances so tight you wouldn't believe, everything has to be done perfectly or it doesn't leave the door.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to charlie-r For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Thursday 3rd October 2013)

This status has no user
    Thanks
    Yeah I've only been there a month but the problem with doing 1 manifold is the time it takes making jigs and actually designing the thing and converting it from a cad file to a jig to working out what bends we need to bend e.t.c. once we've got a jig and patterns one of the lads could probably knock one out in a day or two whereas just doing the one could take well over a week and lots of wasted expensive material.

I'm only an apprentice there, but some if the guys have been welding well over 20years, and work to tolerances so tight you wouldn't believe, everything has to be done perfectly or it doesn't leave the door.
    Mates the same. He hasn't been working with us long, he used to work in the boat builders next door making double hull ocean goers for ferrying workers out to oil rigs. We pikey'd him and he's been doing private jobs on the side. He's a fussy fu%ker and if it's not 110% he loses sleep. Lol.
    Hopefully all the pita stuff will be ironed out on mine, then that should keep costs down on anyone else's

Current Chariots...
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

This user has no status

Thanks
    Any idea what material he's making it out of?

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks

thats what annoys me when i get asked to build stuff. if its a one off and you give them a price and you get how much its only a bit pipe. what what about the time building jigs drawing flanges and like you say the wasted material when you route it a certain way and it gets in your way later on. not a easy thing to do.

This user has no status

Thanks
    thats what annoys me when i get asked to build stuff. if its a one off and you give them a price and you get how much its only a bit pipe. what what about the time building jigs drawing flanges and like you say the wasted material when you route it a certain way and it gets in your way later on. not a easy thing to do.
    Yeah one time only stuff costs a fortune and takes loads of time, manifolds are the worst because you need about a 130/150mm grip on the tube bender which is just wasted unless there's a straight section which it could be used for. On a 5 cylinder manifold there'd be ££££loads of waste just in grip material. People don't realise this (including me) until you start working on it. Plus tig welding is a very skilled task

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Yeah one time only stuff costs a fortune and takes loads of time, manifolds are the worst because you need about a 130/150mm grip on the tube bender which is just wasted unless there's a straight section which it could be used for. On a 5 cylinder manifold there'd be ££££loads of waste just in grip material. People don't realise this (including me) until you start working on it. Plus tig welding is a very skilled task
    yip im with you on that. i use sch 10 pipe and bends for manifolds. but when welding a stainless you want 100% full pen with no coking. thats the easy bit. is for me anyway.

This status has no user
    Thanks
    Any idea what material he's making it out of?
    Just text him and he said 316 or 321

Current Chariots...
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

This user has no status

Thanks
    Try tell him to go 321, that's good stuff to use! A lot less warping and you probably won't need to cut between the branches then

18. The Following User Says Thank You to charlie-r For This Useful Post:

cherry1809 (Friday 4th October 2013)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Try tell him to go 321, that's good stuff to use! A lot less warping and you probably won't need to cut between the branches then

you missed out the bit about the price. sit down when you price up the material

This status has no user
    Thanks
    He's pricing up today, more likely to be 316 though.

Current Chariots...
    V70 D5 daily
    1991 Transit Recovery

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yeah 321 is a fortune and is a but trickier to weld but the advantages are worth it if you can afford it!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to charlie-r For This Useful Post:

cherry1809 (Friday 4th October 2013)

V70 R ish
    Thanks
    If anyones got an s60r manifold they would like to sell me it will be muchly appreciated
    Ben Watson

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cherry1809 View Post
    He's pricing up today, more likely to be 316 though.
    dont use 316. id use 304l or 321 if funds allow.

Thread Information