Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    In my opinion/experience a dyno run is better at highlighting a problem and disappointing an owner than it is at producing accuarate power outputs. I took from my rolling road session that the AFR's were safe the boost was consistantly solid as soon as it hit full boost and the power graph was as smooth as you could ever want, the later being something I expected by the way the car drives, after all the car is auto so the power reading will never be correct. Even before the run I did know that it's very good at putting what power it does make to good/effective use, a fact that was later highlighted when I ran the car down the 1/4 mile at Avon, in fact I was more shocked at the results it achieved over the 1/4 than I was at the rolling road day. I don't think I will be rushing to get to another rolling road day as I see little benefit in them other than providing ammunition for boasting rights and pub conversations.. Just my opinion on the subject of rolling roads... lol

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

cherry1809 (Wednesday 1st May 2013),Jamest5r (Monday 29th April 2013),LiamT4 (Sunday 28th April 2013),stephenevans99 (Sunday 28th April 2013)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    In my opinion/experience a dyno run is better at highlighting a problem and disappointing an owner than it is at producing accuarate power outputs. I took from my rolling road session that the AFR's were safe the boost was consistantly solid as soon as it hit full boost and the power graph was as smooth as you could ever want, the later being something I expected by the way the car drives, after all the car is auto so the power reading will never be correct. Even before the run I did know that it's very good at putting what power it does make to good/effective use, a fact that was later highlighted when I ran the car down the 1/4 mile at Avon, in fact I was more shocked at the results it achieved over the 1/4 than I was at the rolling road day. I don't think I will be rushing to get to another rolling road day as I see little benefit in them other than providing ammunition for boasting rights and pub conversations.. Just my opinion on the subject of rolling roads... lol
    Probably the way i look at them to be honest. Fault finding, good afrs, smooth power curve, etc...... dyno days make for a good day out though.

The looks on some peoples faces as there car is screaming towards the red line is priceless lol
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Sunday 28th April 2013),M-R-P (Monday 29th April 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Probably the way i look at them to be honest. Fault finding, good afrs, smooth power curve, etc...... dyno days make for a good day out though.

The looks on some peoples faces as there car is screaming towards the red line is priceless lol
    Agreed! I love a good dyno shoot out from a viewing perspective, I was at one today, but as for running my own car on the dyno again I doubt I will bother tbh..

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Agreed! I love a good dyno shoot out from a viewing perspective, I was at one today, but as for running my own car on the dyno again I doubt I will bother tbh..
    Not even to check for any possible issues?

I'd like to do one in my car, just to see how smooth the curve is and how that compares with turbo'd cars.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Stuart Sanderson who wrote the article has 60+ other Tuning articles available to download as PDF's on his site.

Motorsport Developments Technical Articles Link

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Wednesday 1st May 2013)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Don't know what you mean Liam

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

10. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Wednesday 1st May 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    A Dyno is a useful tool to compare things with, not car Vs car, but on your own car, so long as you use the same dyno and the same operater. Run the car, make a change run the car again, make a change etc etc. It will give you an indication of what difference ( if any) your mods have made.

Beyond that its just a number on a bit of paper

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wegal For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Wednesday 1st May 2013),smithy (Monday 29th April 2013),Wobbly Dave (Monday 29th April 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    I've just read the last page of that article and that will give something to think about .

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    The article mentions the Coast Down method.....

"Most systems use the coast down method. This system has the operator depress the clutch and allow the transmission to come to a halt on its own while the system measures its resistance to rotation. The system measures this resistance and creates what you might call a negative bhp graph. This resistance is then simply added on to the power we measured at the wheels/hubs and given to us as flywheel power. As an example, if we make 200 bhp on the power run, and our rollers measured that the transmission consumed 30 bhp when slowing down, it would give you a power reading of 230 bhp at the flywheel. Simple..."

He then goes on to mention how figures can be manipulated by gently touching the brakes during the coast down to give greater resistance and increase the predicted flywheel power.

Anyone heard of a dyno operator doing this?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    A Dyno is a useful tool to compare things with, not car Vs car, but on your own car, so long as you use the same dyno and the same operater. Run the car, make a change run the car again, make a change etc etc. It will give you an indication of what difference ( if any) your mods have made.

Beyond that its just a number on a bit of paper

Yeah this exactly. It's a great tool for comparing your own figures to gauge how well new mods are working and as a diagnostic tool to ensure everything is as it should be.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    For better or worse I have always used the same dyno - as I am primarily interested in the delta value, the changes I have made.

The dynojet at HLM has both inertia & load cell functions & the single roller has only a single tyre deflection. I've used it on all my major modifications on the silver sh_1t box since I've had it.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    For better or worse I have always used the same dyno - as I am primarily interested in the delta value, the changes I have made.

The dynojet at HLM has both inertia & load cell functions & the single roller has only a single tyre deflection. I've used it on all my major modifications on the silver sh_1t box since I've had it.
    I use the same rollers but for comparison reasons I will go to merlon motors on there maha rollers next time the is a dyno day

This user has no status

Thanks
    Not even to check for any possible issues?

I'd like to do one in my car, just to see how smooth the curve is and how that compares with turbo'd cars.
    I'd consider it as an option if I felt the need but it wouldn't be my first port of call if there was one...

Being a V8 and auto the torque curve should be smooth and flat as a witches.....

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    Only ran at one rolling road. That was in my 2.0 zetec'd mk3 fiesta and despite a dead throttle position switch and a major misfire it produced a lowly 130bhp. Not sure of whp. Operator wanted to abort the run due to misfire but told him to carry on. A standard 106 gti Got 140+bhp at the same session yet my fiesta wiped the floor with it on the road. In my opinion. The opinions above capture it great, rolling roads are good for diagnostics and pub ammo. That's about it. Want to know how fast your car is go to a 1/4 mile or the track.
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    This topic has come up many times over the years. A couple of people have already mentioned that it's a tool best used for measuring changes between modifications, and you can minimise the variables by sticking to the same dyno. But here are a few other summary points to take into account -

1. Single roller dynos have less tyre drag than twin roller dynos, therefore single roller dynos normally show significantly higher WHP.
    2. WHP + Drag losses = Engine Power (normally measured at the clutch). This applies to ALL chassis dynos. However, results can vary due to many other variables. Drag losses increase exponentially with increasing speed / rpm.
    3. Other variables also affect your power, including load, fuel type, ambient temp. Ambient temp can be factored into the final readings using a standardised correction formula.
    4. Dyno loading can be a problematic variable to deal with (load is normally applied using eddy-current retarders). Too little load and the engine doesn't work hard enough (not enough boost) to generate max torque and power. Too much load and you get excessive intake temps which cause the ECU to reduce the power by lowering boost and/or increasing the fuel mixture more than normally required and/or retarding ignition timing.
    5. The size of the dyno fan makes a significant difference to the peak power. The larger the fan, the better it is at keeping the intake temps down during the dyno run.

Diesels tend to perform much better on dynos than petrols, because they are not as sensitive to high intake temps.
    ======================================
    My current car: Volvo V60 D3 R-Design (Saville Grey)

Turbo-Tuner USB
    http://www.turbo-tuner.co.uk

RICA ECU Upgrades
    http://www.rica-uk.com

RICA on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/RI...77897022224267

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turbo-tuner For This Useful Post:

jdavis (Wednesday 1st May 2013),smithy (Wednesday 1st May 2013)

Thread Information