Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts

Understanding Dynos...

After my recent dyno day I was left leaving a little bewildered as to exactly what went on - it was my first session even watching a car on a dyno. The owner of the place writes technical bulletins for various publications and he sent me a link to an article he wrote a few years back giving a fairly easy to undertand explanation of the various dynos and the results:

FAF258.tech.pdf

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

iancho (Monday 29th April 2013),LiamT4 (Sunday 28th April 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenevans99 View Post
    After my recent dyno day I was left leaving a little bewildered as to exactly what went on - it was my first session even watching a car on a dyno. The owner of the place writes technical bulletins for various publications and he sent me a link to an article he wrote a few years back giving a fairly easy to undertand explanation of the various dynos and the results:

FAF258.tech.pdf

Interesting read mate thanks
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mitchyboy01 For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 28th April 2013)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    So in closing, its whp thats the most accurate and bhp is calculated from the whp....................something a few people on here have been saying for ages.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 28th April 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    So in closing, its whp thats the most accurate and bhp is calculated from the whp....................something a few people on here have been saying for ages.
    No not at all!

What this should tell us is that the yanks are "wrong" when they harp on about WHP - no two dynos will give the same power but they should ALL give the same flywheel figures if the prevailing conditions are identical. Gear choice - it affects wheel power but not flywheel power if drag is being measured accurately. The only comparable constant is fly power. It would be interesting at the next dyno day (wherever that may be) to run a few cars in 3rd 4th 5th (6th) and see what happens - the engine power isn't altering but drag will change hugely with the varying wheel speed. If the dyno is accurate at measuring anything it should show equal fly power every time with very different WHP.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post
    No not at all!

What this should tell us is that the yanks are "wrong" when they harp on about WHP - no two dynos will give the same power but they should ALL give the same flywheel figures if the prevailing conditions are identical. Gear choice - it affects wheel power but not flywheel power if drag is being measured accurately. The only comparable constant is fly power. It would be interesting at the next dyno day (wherever that may be) to run a few cars in 3rd 4th 5th (6th) and see what happens - the engine power isn't altering but drag will change hugely with the varying wheel speed. If the dyno is accurate at measuring anything it should show equal fly power every time with very different WHP.
    Did you miss the part that explains that transmission losses can never accuratly measured on a rolling road? Or the part that says "go by what the rollers measured at the point of measurement"

Some people seem to forget that its the bloody wheels that are in direct contact with the dyno, so if you §§§§ up the whp reading (like using the wrong gear for example) than your even less likely to get an accurate flywheel measurment.

and it does explain how different gears effects the whp result and thats why you need to use a gear thats as close to 1:1 as you can get.
    Last edited by LiamT4; Sunday 28th April 2013 at 21:10.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok so how does a maha dyno give hugely low whp figures (remember frankies 198bhp?) and still comes up with a fly power comparible to every other dyno?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    1.      The drag curve is exponential. The faster you go the steeper the curve. This how you ended up with a very high drag figure, your car will have hit over 140mph. 2.      The wheels figure is meaningless without a drag curve. If I ran your car in 4th gear you may have 140bhp/120mph at the wheels. If I then ran it in 5th  gear you would have around say 125bhp/145mph. The engine is still producing the same power so why are the two figures different? It is because of our old friend the drag curve. At 120mph there is a far lower drag than at 145mph so the wheels figures will differ. 3.      Some dyno’s do not have the ability to measure drag so they are forced to try and calculate it (dyno dynamics etc.). In my experience this calculation is always flawed for the simple reason that the drag curve rises exponentially. The favourite way they calculate this is by adding a percentage to the wheels figure. This can never work as the drag of the tyres is not influenced by the power of the engine in any way. A good little check you can do with your graph is to look at the peak power rpm at the wheels. Because of the shape of the drag curve this will always be at a lower point than the peak power rpm at the flywheel. If they are the same then the calculation used is fatally flawed and must, by the laws of physics, be giving you incorrect 

So in theory its all a load of §§§§§§§§ and everyone has a different opinion on the matter and has been debated to death!

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Ok so how does a maha dyno give hugely low whp figures (remember frankies 198bhp?) and still comes up with a fly power comparible to every other dyno?
    Maybe you should get in contact with the people who make it and ask them......and at the same time ask which gear is best to use on a 5spd car, 4th or 5th......

I could try and give you some information on how dynos work, but as someone has already posted a link to something that provides a plenty of information regarding the subject, i don't think i need to.
    Last edited by LiamT4; Sunday 28th April 2013 at 21:41.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    1.      The drag curve is exponential. The faster you go the steeper the curve. This how you ended up with a very high drag figure, your car will have hit over 140mph. 2.      The wheels figure is meaningless without a drag curve. If I ran your car in 4th gear you may have 140bhp/120mph at the wheels. If I then ran it in 5th  gear you would have around say 125bhp/145mph. The engine is still producing the same power so why are the two figures different? It is because of our old friend the drag curve. At 120mph there is a far lower drag than at 145mph so the wheels figures will differ. 3.      Some dyno’s do not have the ability to measure drag so they are forced to try and calculate it (dyno dynamics etc.). In my experience this calculation is always flawed for the simple reason that the drag curve rises exponentially. The favourite way they calculate this is by adding a percentage to the wheels figure. This can never work as the drag of the tyres is not influenced by the power of the engine in any way. A good little check you can do with your graph is to look at the peak power rpm at the wheels. Because of the shape of the drag curve this will always be at a lower point than the peak power rpm at the flywheel. If they are the same then the calculation used is fatally flawed and must, by the laws of physics, be giving you incorrect 

So in theory its all a load of §§§§§§§§ and everyone has a different opinion on the matter and has been debated to death!
    Did you read the part in the op original link that explains why using the "coast down system" is also flawed?

I'll say it again - if you mess up the whp figure, by using the wrong gear for example, then you are never going to get an accurate bhp reading.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Have a read of the MAHA dyno thread. There are about 10 different opinions on the same subject. Seems like there is no definitive answers. People very knowledgeable on the subject can't agree and each argument has numerous eveidence to back it up! Im not saying you are wrong as I dont really care anyway. I just don't agree that whp is the holy grail.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Have a read of the MAHA dyno thread. There are about 10 different opinions on the same subject. Seems like there is no definitive answers. People very knowledgeable on the subject can't agree and each argument has numerous eveidence to back it up! Im not saying you are wrong as I dont really care anyway. I just don't agree that whp is the holy grail.
    neither do i, but i also don't believe people should be looking at bhp readings from a dyno and thinking that they are 100% accurate, because there are more variables in working out the bhp than the whp.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Frankies got 300 bhp flywheel figuires on an unmapped car too on a maha dyno weldone lol.what I am going to do is when my car is finished to the stage I'm doing at mo .i will take the car to a hub dyno ,then a dyno dynamics and lastly a maha dyno .they will all measure whp but only 2 will measure bhp fly and we will see what the figuires are .but if I'm not mistaken isn't a hub dyno the most accarute or am I wrong again like so many peeps keep telling me and I think they only read whp but as said I might be wrong again lol.

NOS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,341 Posts
    well i dont know nothing about them but my car goes like stink.
    Last edited by WOODY T5; Sunday 28th April 2013 at 22:34.

"WOODY T5 fastest volvo 850 since 2011/12/13/14 @ avon and york 13.3 112mph
    854 t5 19t gripper mte bc loads more 311.6 whp 373 foot pound 342 @ clucth
    toy cbr954

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WOODY T5 For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Sunday 28th April 2013),Biff (Monday 29th April 2013),cherry1809 (Wednesday 1st May 2013)

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Some excellent posts above from folks who obviously know a lot more than me....

I was very disappointed with the results from my day at the dyno, but after speaking with the guy at the garage he confirms some of the things mentioned above such as the bhp on the rollers is far from being 'holy grail' & that depending on the particular dyno how the session can be manipulated to give better results........I wish they manipulated mine...lol

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    Frankies got 300 bhp flywheel figuires on an unmapped car too on a maha dyno weldone lol.what I am going to do is when my car is finished to the stage I'm doing at mo .i will take the car to a hub dyno ,then a dyno dynamics and lastly a maha dyno .they will all measure whp but only 2 will measure bhp fly and we will see what the figuires are .but if I'm not mistaken isn't a hub dyno the most accarute or am I wrong again like so many peeps keep telling me and I think they only read whp but as said I might be wrong again lol.
    Unless you are willing to take your engine out and fit it to an engine dyno then yes, they are supposed to be the most accurate, although i'v noticed that the losses on the hub dyno's seem to be similar to many twin roller dynos anyway. But at least they take out the tyre variables.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WOODY T5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenevans99 View Post
    Some excellent posts above from folks who obviously know a lot more than me....

I was very disappointed with the results from my day at the dyno, but after speaking with the guy at the garage he confirms some of the things mentioned above such as the bhp on the rollers is far from being 'holy grail' & that depending on the particular dyno how the session can be manipulated to give better results........I wish they manipulated mine...lol
    On the road is where it really matters.

I'v always thought that 1/4mile terminal speed is a good indicator of power. The time itself is to do with many things, but you can't get a high terminal speed without having genuine power.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    On the road is where it really matters.

I'v always thought that 1/4mile terminal speed is a good indicator of power. The time itself is to do with many things, but you can't get a high terminal speed without having genuine power.
    Not always about power ether it's about gearing too.you can have high power but if you haven't got te gearing to suit then the is no point unless you want to go 180mph though lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Unless you are willing to take your engine out and fit it to an engine dyno then yes, they are supposed to be the most accurate, although i'v noticed that the losses on the hub dyno's seem to be similar to many twin roller dynos anyway. But at least they take out the tyre variables.
    All the hub dyno operators I speak too say they only give whp figuires

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WOODY T5 View Post
    I agree its what happens on the road that counts

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Not always about power ether it's about gearing too.you can have high power but if you haven't got te gearing to suit then the is no point unless you want to go 180mph though lol
    There are lots of variables on the 1/4mile, more than what a lot of people think, but i don't want to go off topic.

All the hub dyno operators I speak too say they only give whp figuires
    Sure the one that people went to last year gave flywheel figures as well.

Thread Information