Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Question Annoying rattles

I've touched on this subject in various threads since joining the forum but I'm keen to get some real answers to the issue. I have a pretty good idea what the problem is already but I wanted to bounce the idea around in case anyone can relate to it..............

Ever since I've had the car, there's been a strange rattle coming from the drivers side when I'm driving on an uneven surface and particulary at lower speeds. Even what looks like a pretty smooth road surface can sometimes cause this rattle sound, like something is loose. Trying to describe the sound exactly is quite difficult, but sounds like a set of old windows rattling in a gale force wind, or some plastic trim rattling together (it isn't the trim doing it though). Other times it sounds like some balls of paper being shaken around in an egg box (sort of).

Now, considering the driveshaft on the drivers side was replaced only in September along with just about every suspension part since, I think it's highly unlikely to be a suspension issue, particulary given that the sound has been present both before and after the suspension overhaul.

My theory is it's the steering rack because as some of you know, I have been getting some knocks coming from underneath the car whilst turning at low speed and particulary on uneven surfaces whilst at or near full lock. I think there is a worn part on the steering rack which has become loose and it rattles around causing the very irritating sound I've mentioned. It may also account for why my steering still feels all loose and wooly and just hops around all over the place everytime I hit a bump, and why the car still wants to drift quickly to the left even after 2 x 4 wheel alignments. I've ruled out tracking because the wheel is dead centre on a straight road so why the pulling to the left!

Ok, so the stage is now yours, anyone think I'm barking up the wrong tree or is it worth me looking at a reconditioned steering rack once I've got the gearbox sorted?

Regards

James

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    I think this should do me, it's a recon part........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWER-STEE...item1c31505fa6

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    So today whilst I changed the Lower Torque Mount I got right under the car and tried to look for anything that could be causing this annoying rattle of the drivers side. I took off a loose piece of trim, inspected the drive shaft gaitors, tried pushing and pulling on the driveshafts looking for loose bolts, checked the ball joints, heatshields, ARB (couldn't get it to knock or rattle when I pushed and pulled on it), brake calipers, discs and pads and tried grabbing the wheel to check for a wheel bearing issue and still, nothing is telling me anything. As I drove down the road the rattles started again, they're definately on the drivers side.

Considering that the entire suspension has been replaced what the hell is causing this problem? It sounds like something is loose and rattling around even at less than 10mph and it's only on the drivers side.

I determined to get to the bottom of this, perhaps if I could get a sound recording of the rattle it may help.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    inner track rod end. but honestly mate. stop wasting money. over the last year ive watched you spend thousands and get nowear. you could of bought my mint t5 by now that needs nothing but a layer of wax once a month.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    inner track rod end. but honestly mate. stop wasting money. over the last year ive watched you spend thousands and get nowear. you could of bought my mint t5 by now that needs nothing but a layer of wax once a month.
    I'm going to get the steering rack replaced with a reconditioned one, I think that may include an inner tie rod as part of the package.

I'm not wasting money, I really hate it when people say that because there's people on here who have spent far more on their daily runner and nobody has told them to stop wasting their money.

All work and no play makes
    Jack a dull boy

Thanks
    My dad told me to stop wasting money on mine.
    At that stage I pointed out that his 13 plate Skoda Superb costs him about £350 p/month just to have it sat on the drive!
    Plus losing at least 10 grand in depreciation over 3 years, plus interest on the finance plus expensive main dealer servicing etc. etc. etc.
    Approx £270 p/month in depreciation alone!!!

He shut up after that lol.
    It`s not what the car is worth per se. It`s what it`s worth TO ME!
    That`s why I`d never sell it.

On topic, my rear anti-roll bars were causing a knocking which appeared to be coming from the g/box torque mount, replaced arb`s and noise has gone completely.
    £3.5k spent and counting... plus the cost of the car.
    On a good day I might get £1800 back for it, why sell it now?
    Last edited by Fubar1977; Sunday 5th May 2013 at 10:42.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fubar1977 For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Sunday 5th May 2013)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fubar1977 View Post
    My dad told me to stop wasting money on mine.
    At that stage I pointed out that his 13 plate Skoda Superb costs him about £350 p/month just to have it sat on the drive!
    Plus losing at least 10 grand in depreciation over 3 years, plus interest on the finance plus expensive main dealer servicing etc. etc. etc.
    Approx £270 p/month in depreciation alone!!!

He shut up after that lol.
    It`s not what the car is worth per se. It`s what it`s worth TO ME!
    That`s why I`d never sell it.

On topic, my rear anti-roll bars were causing a knocking which appeared to be coming from the g/box torque mount, replaced arb`s and noise has gone completely.
    £3.5k spent and counting... plus the cost of the car.
    On a good day I might get £1800 back for it, why sell it now?
    You've summed it up brilliantly, especially that example about the finance and depreciation. I'm all for new cars if you can afford them but I can't afford it and can't get finance, so I spend cash when I have it on repairing my car which actually I really like when it all works well.

And you're absolutely right, why sell this car at a loss only to have to buy another car with a similar set of problems. Surely we'd be wasting money on that as well? I've lost count how many times I've said this but as you implied above, it's better to deal with the devil you know than the one you don't.

At the rate I'm going, without exaggerating, there won't be many items left to go wrong before very long so despite the frustrations I'm hardly going to give up now.
    Last edited by JamesT5; Sunday 5th May 2013 at 11:15. Reason: Spelling 'mistook'

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

Fubar1977 (Sunday 5th May 2013)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    At the rate I'm going, without exaggerating, there won't be many items left to go wrong before very long so despite the frutrations I'm hardly going to give up now.
    My thoughts exactly, next Sunday (when the Mrs is out of earshot) I'll tell you how much I've spent on mine since I've had her

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

11. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

Jack a dull boy

Thanks
    At the rate I'm going, without exaggerating, there won't be many items left to go wrong before very long so despite the frustrations I'm hardly going to give up now.
    Totally agree.
    I would only be looking at another £2.5k Volvo if I got rid anyway so I feel I`d be back in the same boat of having to get it back up to where I want it, whereas my current car is getting close to where I want it now.
    Despite the cost it`s actually been enjoyable in a lot of ways, sussing out how to fix things, troubleshooting and diagnosing problems and it`s very satisfying when you fix something yourself that would have cost a fortune at a dealers/garage.

Just wish my mechanical skills matched my ambition!

@ V70 Graham:
    The Mrs knows exactly what I`ve spent, I even showed her the spreadsheet I keep detailing the jobs/cost etc (sad I know lol) and she`s basically OK with it as she knows it`s pretty much a hobby as well as a car.
    That said, if I spend the same again this year I`d expect divorce proceedings so fingers crossed 2013 will be a cheap year!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fubar1977 For This Useful Post:

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fubar1977 View Post
    @ V70 Graham:
    The Mrs knows exactly what I`ve spent, I even showed her the spreadsheet I keep detailing the jobs/cost etc (sad I know lol) and she`s basically OK with it as she knows it`s pretty much a hobby as well as a car.
    That said, if I spend the same again this year I`d expect divorce proceedings so fingers crossed 2013 will be a cheap year!
    Oh she knows I've spent x on this and y on that, not sure she's added up the total though lol

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

Fubar1977 (Sunday 5th May 2013),JamesT5 (Sunday 5th May 2013)

Jack a dull boy

Thanks
    If the Mrs does start to moan I`ll ask her how much she`s spent on clothes, shoes (Oh God, the shoes!), handbags, make-up etc etc etc. And she`s not even a particularly "girly" girl lol.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fubar1977 For This Useful Post:

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Getting back on topic, have you checked the steering column? There's a couple of nylon bushes that wear, I've already had one replaced cos the steering was floaty and lots of play, including slight rattles and knocks. Cost £50 at the dealer and all is well. Tightened the steering up no end. I would suggest you go down that route first before replacing the rack. TBH, I really don't think it's your rack anyway.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Monday 6th May 2013)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Getting back on topic, have you checked the steering column? There's a couple of nylon bushes that wear, I've already had one replaced cos the steering was floaty and lots of play, including slight rattles and knocks. Cost £50 at the dealer and all is well. Tightened the steering up no end. I would suggest you go down that route first before replacing the rack. TBH, I really don't think it's your rack anyway.
    ATS did say there was slight play in one of my inner tie rods, I might take your advice as well and change them both.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Make sure you replace both inner tie rods, not just one side. Also the column bush
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Monday 6th May 2013)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Make sure you replace both inner tie rods, not just one side. Also the column bush
    Yeah, I always replace both sides without exception (apart from the driveshaft which the garage replaced just the one side of). I think though, a steering rack comes with the inner tie-rods as part of the unit so I'm still looking at that option as a recon is less that £150.

Where is the column bush located and is it a job I can do bearing in mind my limited experience?

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    I've just had a look for a 'steering column bushing' on ebay and Parts For Volvos website and I can't find any such item for the V70. Have you got a link?

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    I've just had a look for a 'steering column bushing' on ebay and Parts For Volvos website and I can't find any such item for the V70. Have you got a link?
    Mate, there is no link! You can't get everything off ebay/internet. Some things you can only get from the dealer.
    I don't know how difficult it was, i had the dealer do it but like i said, they charged me £41 for the part and £47 labour. Difference was instantly noticeable.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Wednesday 8th May 2013)

Bird is the word!
    Thanks
    Ive had this problem aswel a while now. I thought it was the exhaust knocking on the underside as one of the brackets had completely rusted off. I ordered the repair bracket from PFV and did that last night. Took her out for a quick test drive but the knocking was still there!!!

The knocking stops when i press the brakes (at any speed) which has me totally confused! Its hard to pinpoiont exactly where its coming from but sounds like driver side more towards the rear, but thats just and educated guess at best!

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Can I just add...

Sometimes, when they get old, the drivers seat makes a clonk when your weight shifts about (pressing the brake would stop this). The tortion of the chassis on these cars makes it sound like it's coming from elsewhere (tap the handbrake with a screwdriver - it sounds like it's rattling in the back).
    It took me ages to work out where it was coming from lol.

just a thought.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Bird is the word!
    Thanks
    Forgot to mention - the rattling is hardly noticeable with the windows up and the radio is on low. But very noticeable when the windows are down and say Im driving past a wall/building, i can hear the echo of the knocking even more! It cant be anything serious as my car had an MOT with no advisories last month! (Unless the garage missed something out completely!)

Thread Information