Join Today
    Astra Van Owner
    Just shut up and drive!
    Thanks

Cubby hole for iPod/Phone?

Can anyone tell me if there is a 'cubby hole' alternative to the dash mounted cup holder to the left of the stereo? The reason I ask is that I want to mount my iPhone/Pod in front of this and route my Grom cable though the dash to emerge here rather than have it running outside from beneath the centre tunnel.

In essence I want a 'minimal cable showing' appearance for my iPhone/Grom install.
    I want the iPod on the dash as it displays track details where the HU doesn't.

Hardly use the cup holder so wouldn't miss it and thought this would be the best place.

Any advice?

...or if anyone has a spare cup holder in black for the dismantling and modifying of?
    Last edited by Squirtydog; Tuesday 23rd April 2013 at 01:18.

2011 Mercedes E63 AMG

Previous:
    2001 BMW E39 M5, LeMans Blue, grey/black two tone leather ** 2014 XC60 D4 Bright Silver, Black leather, walnut ** 1999 C70 T5 ** 2003 V70R Flash Green/Nordkap - now my dad's "big green Astra Van" ** 1990 Lotus Elan M100 Se Turbo, Calypso Red ** 2001 S60 2.0T Silver ** 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** 1982 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 ** Vauxhall Nova - 993cc monster

Astra Van Owner
    Just shut up and drive!
    Thanks
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  89.3 KB
Size:  145.7 KB

Own question answered. Just have to find one.
    Last edited by Squirtydog; Tuesday 23rd April 2013 at 01:34.

2011 Mercedes E63 AMG

Previous:
    2001 BMW E39 M5, LeMans Blue, grey/black two tone leather ** 2014 XC60 D4 Bright Silver, Black leather, walnut ** 1999 C70 T5 ** 2003 V70R Flash Green/Nordkap - now my dad's "big green Astra Van" ** 1990 Lotus Elan M100 Se Turbo, Calypso Red ** 2001 S60 2.0T Silver ** 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** 1982 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux ** Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 ** Vauxhall Nova - 993cc monster

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    How come you have ruled out the arm rest idea? Is it just because you want to see track names? Or is it so you can control it through the iPod easier? If its the track names that wouldn't bother me, your CD player doesn't display track names and I'm sure you don't mind about that, most new cars with an AUX connection is in the arm rest so they can't see it either. Personally if you have to go down the route of viewing the pod I wouldn't be doing it that way as you have a big hole in your dash, up to you though. This is what's been done before http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...ht=iPod+cradle lee has this in his R and its very nice, I remember getting a run in his car and I thought my leg would bang of it but it didn't.
    Thanks
    Martyn

4. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

Squirtydog (Tuesday 23rd April 2013)

is car shopping!
    Thanks
    Have you looked at the Brodit website as they have loads of different holder mounts. I've got one in my V50 and am very happy with it.

http://www.brodit.com/productList.ht...r=2003&pn=prod

Sorry I guessed the age of your car, you can re-configure the selection at the top to make sure you get the right fit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MattV70 For This Useful Post:

Squirtydog (Tuesday 23rd April 2013)

Astra Van Owner
    Just shut up and drive!
    Thanks
    Was the leg thing that bothered me. With son in his seat in the back - passenger seat forwards enough so that he cannot kick and wreck the leather (long legs) and wife in front (long legs) there's not much room. It would be a better location down there though.

I know what you mean about the hole in the dash.

Have looked at the Brodit stuff and may still go that way. Thought if I had a go with a cubby hole affair I could still put it back to normal pretty easy.

I hear what you say about most aux going in the centre console - from using it with the phone on display however, it makes things a whole lot easier if you can see the screen as the Grom works off playlists - which can have unlimited tracks. It is much easier to navigate a 100 track playlist when you can see what you are doing.

May still give it a go and if it looks messy I can revert back.

2011 Mercedes E63 AMG

Previous:

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    I can't remember how far back lee's seat was but I definitely didn't bang my legs off it. There isn't as much room in these things as there should be IMO my P1 has much more space
    Thanks
    Martyn

Astra Van Owner
    Just shut up and drive!
    Thanks
    Surprisingly small big cars. Dad's 850 felt bigger

Was aiming for a relatively tidy install overall. Cubby with iPhone mount covering most of the opening and just the cable emerging at the bottom. If I can fashion a blanking plate out of Perspex, matt black vinyl coat it and recess it a few mm back in the cubby it could look tidy. I can fix a Brodit mount to the surface.

Size:  78.6 KB

Pointless but fun. You get the jist of it.
    Last edited by Squirtydog; Tuesday 23rd April 2013 at 15:26.

2011 Mercedes E63 AMG

Previous:

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Hi squirtydog (sounds wrong)...anyway...

The brodit holder shown in the link is really good and very strong. My old man's a clumsy §§§§ and everytime he hauls his 15st frame in my car he always manages to gently rest against the phone holder. Other than that, my missus never touches it and neither do any passengers that get in my car. It sits slightly right of the left hand edge of the center console. It also angles perfect towards the driver (me) and is easily accessed on the move, mainly to answer calls on loud speaker.
    To be honest i am looking at the GROM unit as it has Bluetooth and will make/receive calls through the head unit speakers. If and when i get the GROM i will leave the Brodit holder in situ as its very good and looks a very neat and tidy install. Absolutely no holes drilled in the dash too.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Squirtydog (Monday 27th May 2013)

Thread Information