Join Today
    More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts

new volvos rev high

Why is it in the new volvos they rev high for a few seconds on start up? I always let my revs drop before I pull away but is it necessary?
    Thanks
    Martyn

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    It's just to warm everything up quicker isn't it?
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    I actually dont know. I think It makes it more important that you use the correct oil, if it revs high when its cold.
    Thanks
    Martyn

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Most if not all cars rev higher on cold its a warm up feature

This user has no status
    Thanks
    How high? i would think Volvo set the auto warm up so as not to harm the engine.

Tony.

cut n blow dry,perms,and tinting prices on request!

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    Why is it in the new volvos they rev high for a few seconds on start up? I always let my revs drop before I pull away but is it necessary?
    It's to heat up the cat quicker to lower the emissions quicker. As at tick over it would not work very well if driving in town.

HAPPY DAYS

Thanks
    Not sure, but I've just had a V50 2.0 diesel and I got to say, probably the worst engine and gearbox possible....horrible to drive! Maybe something to do with both those parts being peugeot......first gear lasts about a fart, then the changes are so mechanical, not easy to know where the power is etc etc.

That said, I wasn't particuarly impressed with the interior 'look & feel' either......very bland and plasticy.

Volvo, must do better next time 4/10

See me after School!

WHY DOESN'T MY SIGNATURE WORK??? ...IT DOES NOW! :-)

All work and no play makes
    Jack a dull boy

Thanks
    Wife`s Suzuki Swift does this for a few seconds after startup too.

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    I actually dont know. I think It makes it more important that you use the correct oil, if it revs high when its cold.
    You are spot on. Our oil is relatively thin so a few revs on start up is OK and it gets around the engine quickly. If you listen to a race car start from cold, they give short sharp bursts of high revs to get the oil around ASAP.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    To answer your question Martyn, it's a 'cold start' aid. Based on Coolant temperature, the ECM will control the idle on cold start to prevent lumpy and erratic idle and stalling. That's it.
    It lasts about 30 seconds. The fuel injectors will also be injecting more fuel but that lasts minutes rather than seconds and is also based on coolant temp. It has nothing to do with oil.

I do the same and always wait for it to idle below 1000 rpm before driving off. The catalyst will not warm up properly until you drive the cars for a few miles and by then this initial 'cold start' feature is already off.

You'll notice that if you start the car after you have already driven it (say, an hour later) the feature does not run! That's because the coolant is still warm/hot (depending on time car was driven for) and the ECM does not need to 'High idle' the engine for a cold start....because your not starting the car from cold anymore.

Mine did this lots in the winter because the outside temperature was so cold that the engine cooled rapidly. Therefore, starting the car an hour later, if the coolant was cool enough then the cold start feature would run.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    This is taken from the cars handbook,the only thing they missed was open door and sit at drivers seat and close the door.

pg. 87 Starting and driving

Starting the car

Starting the engine
    1. Fasten the seat belt.

WARNING!
    Before starting, check that the seat, steering wheel and mirrors are adjusted properly. Make sure the brake pedal can be depressed completely. Adjust the seat if necessary. See pages 60, 62.

2. Apply the parking brake (hand brake) if not already set. The gear selector (automatic transmission) is locked in the (P)ark position (SHIFTLOCK).
    Manual transmission: the clutch must be fully depressed.

3. Without touching the accelerator pedal, turn the ignition key* to the starting position. Allow the starter to operate for up to 10 seconds. Release the key as soon as the engine starts. If the engine fails to start, repeat this step.

NOTE: On certain models, when the car is started, idle speed may be noticeably higher than normal for a short period, depending on the temperature of the engine. This has been done to help bring components in the emission control system to their normal operating temperature as quickly as possible, which enables them to function normally.

For cold starts at altitudes above 6000 ft (1800 meters), depress the accelerator pedal halfway and turn the key to the starting position. Release the pedal slowly when the engine starts.

4. To release the gear selector from the (P)ark position, the engine must be running (or the ignition key must be in position II) and the brake pedal must be depressed.

5. Select the desired gear. The gear engages after a very slight delay which is especially noticeable when selecting R.

NOTE: Your car is equipped with a KEYLOCK system (automatic transmission). When the engine is switched off, the gear selector must be in the (P)ark position before the key can be removed from the ignition switch.
    When starting in cold weather, the transmission may shift up at slightly higher engine speeds than normal until the automatic transmission fluid reaches normal operating temperature.

CAUTION:
    Automatic transmission
    The engine should be idling when you move the gear selector. Never accelerate until after you feel the transmission engage! Accelerating immediately after selecting a gear will cause harsh engagement and premature transmission wear.
    Selecting P or N when idling at a standstill for prolonged periods of time will help prevent overheating of the automatic transmission fluid.
    WARNING!
    Always place the gear selector in Park or in reverse on models with a manual transmission, and apply the parking brake before leaving the vehicle. Never leave the car unattended with the engine running.
    Always open garage doors fully before starting the engine inside a garage to ensure adequate ventilation. The exhaust gases contain carbon monoxide, which is invisible and odorless but very poisonous

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MA'R'K View Post
    Not sure, but I've just had a V50 2.0 diesel and I got to say, probably the worst engine and gearbox possible....horrible to drive! Maybe something to do with both those parts being peugeot......first gear lasts about a fart, then the changes are so mechanical, not easy to know where the power is etc etc.

That said, I wasn't particuarly impressed with the interior 'look & feel' either......very bland and plasticy.

Volvo, must do better next time 4/10

See me after School!
    Mark Its only beca use your V50 oil Burberry not got much to do with Volvo unfortunately it is a Ford Focus estate in disguise with peugeot tdci engine sorry
    And guys the revs on cold start its absolutely normal on all 2.4 5 potter my P2 140 does it every morning even with 305,000 miles all to do with warm up process with cold start
    Cheers Seb

Thread Information