Join Today
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch advice

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    James - , that genuine clutch 272314 is the correct part number, and at £80 i would rip their arm off for it. There is nothing special about police spec clutches- it is the standard part and would reduce your outlay a bit.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Plod spec clutch has 23 tooth spline mate, standard is 20. I can't say this for all model years but with mine, this was the case.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Plod spec clutch has 23 tooth spline mate, standard is 20. I can't say this for all model years but with mine, this was the case.
    isn't the 20spline the older 850 gearbox, thought they all swopped to 23spline after 2002

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    vida-for james's car >>
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  459.6 KB

i think your correct pedro, james's car is an 01. mrp's is a 2002 on from memory.
    the 272314 fits so many cars i wont bother to list them all including:
    s40/v40 t4 98-00
    s70/v70/c70/s80/s60/v70 > 2001

p.s vida is always right!
    p.p.s = there are no special differences to police cars apart from the largest brakes as standard, and front suspension arms- the rest is all mystic assumption
    Last edited by partsforvolvos.com; Thursday 18th April 2013 at 15:53.

Thanks
    Mine's 2003 (see sig) the different wishbones were only on the P1 cars, Mine has always had standard 305mm brakes not 320mm (later plod spec), it has heavier ARBs, different spec Nivomats (till I removed them) Different springs (afaik) to accomodate the higher-lift of the plod nivs.
    Depending on the year of the "plod spec" clutch, it'll either have the 20 or 23 tooth center. Mine has the 23 tooth although some shops list both for my model.
    James's car should have the 20 tooth, being standard spec. So if that plod spec clutch kit is listed for pre-2003 cars then yes, it'll probably have the correct fitting. I didn't have the means to look up the part number hence me saying "it's most likely to be..."

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by partsforvolvos.com View Post
    James - , that genuine clutch 272314 is the correct part number, and at £80 i would rip their arm off for it. There is nothing special about police spec clutches- it is the standard part and would reduce your outlay a bit.
    It's mine, I brought it at the asking price as I thought making an offer would have risked it slipping away forever to another buyer. It's a genuine Volvo part that so it's a steal!

Jamie, thank you........ I know you're in business to sell parts yourself so I value the advice you gave me there!

Regards

James

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    you're welcome james, we are on here to participate and help, as well as picking up some business.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to partsforvolvos.com For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Thursday 18th April 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    James, take a look at this site for your flywheel (budget allowing). The S60R/V70R flywheels are very expensive as a thorough search has highlighted (£500-£600) but here it's £379.31. See what your DMF comes in at:

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/buy/__/3.../luk-flywheel/

Flywheel bolts: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2512102624...84.m1438.l2648

Have you thought about doing the clutch yourself?.....not as scary as it looks...probably!
    2003 S60R. RaceS60R 3" DP, RaceS60R intake, Re-map performance remap, FMIC, D5 oil cooler

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sizzlechest For This Useful Post:

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=M-R-P;597790]Mine's 2003 (see sig) QUOTE]

lol, didnt notice that i was going from memory about the mirror you had.

ref the heavier anti roll bars and nivomats, i believe with 2 officers and full traffic kit on board they were on the car's weight load limit so couldnt even take prisoners in. so i'm not surprised it had those on.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sizzlechest View Post
    James, take a look at this site for your flywheel (budget allowing). The S60R/V70R flywheels are very expensive as a thorough search has highlighted (£500-£600) but here it's £379.31. See what your DMF comes in at:

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/buy/__/3.../luk-flywheel/

Flywheel bolts: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2512102624...84.m1438.l2648

Have you thought about doing the clutch yourself?.....not as scary as it looks...probably!
    Thanks.

You probably aren't aware, the reason I'm hving a clutch is because the gearbox is knackered and so the garage are fitting a clutch for no extra labour cost whilst they're changing the gearbox (make sense?). If the gearbox was ok then I wouldn't even be looking at a clutch change yet, I see it more as preventative maintenance if I'm honest.

Regards

James

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Thanks to Parts for Volvos, they're sorting me out with a Concentric Slave Cylinder - I owe Jamie that much at least!

Thanks
    [QUOTE=partsforvolvos.com;597798]
    Mine's 2003 (see sig) QUOTE]

lol, didnt notice that i was going from memory about the mirror you had.

ref the heavier anti roll bars and nivomats, i believe with 2 officers and full traffic kit on board they were on the car's weight load limit so couldnt even take prisoners in. so i'm not surprised it had those on.
    Yeah, the online parts places often list the plod nivs as "police" $500+ each.

I hope you don't think I was trying to start an arguement mate, I've spent the last 2 years trying to gather info on plod cars and still learning

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    how to sum up ex plod vs standard road car:
    ex plod very knackered, standard road car vasying levels of knackered depending on previous owner(s) care and maintenance

simples

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stevmo For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevmo View Post
    how to sum up ex plod vs standard road car:
    ex plod very knackered, standard road car vasying levels of knackered depending on previous owner(s) care and maintenance

simples
    Well what gets me is that my car has a full Volvo service history up to around 200,000 miles, yet all the important stuff like suspension, brakes and stuff like that were completely and utterly knackered. It makes me wonder whether the Volvo garage were doing half the work they said they were doing. I can't believe a car with such a good maintenance record has turned out ot be so problematic, an owner who gets it serviced at a Volvo Stealers would surely have made sure the whole car was maintained to a high standard.

That's one thing that's always bugged me since the problems started!

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=M-R-P;597858]
    Yeah, the online parts places often list the plod nivs as "police" $500+ each.

I hope you don't think I was trying to start an arguement mate, I've spent the last 2 years trying to gather info on plod cars and still learning
    you're ok Martin, i didn't think that, but then I had the same worry about my post after i did it ! ......... LOL

Police cars are always a challenge, depending on what job it did and extra electrics thay had.

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    LOL Stevmo, you missed out 30 + accidents as standard. - to be fair because of the high demand they go through they are serviced twice as often, and undergo weekly/monthly visual checks.

Trader
    Ready for the weekend
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Well what gets me is that my car has a full Volvo service history up to around 200,000 miles, yet all the important stuff like suspension, brakes and stuff like that were completely and utterly knackered. It makes me wonder whether the Volvo garage were doing half the work they said they were doing. I can't believe a car with such a good maintenance record has turned out ot be so problematic, an owner who gets it serviced at a Volvo Stealers would surely have made sure the whole car was maintained to a high standard.

That's one thing that's always bugged me since the problems started!
    it depends if the volvo garage always reported things, but the owner chose not to do them , and they built up . - this is so often the case, as a service advisor you spend hours making up long estimates, just for the customer to decline it all.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=partsforvolvos.com;598070]

you're ok Martin, i didn't think that, but then I had the same worry about my post after i did it ! ......... LOL

Police cars are always a challenge, depending on what job it did and extra electrics thay had.
    Lets not go into the electrics lol. My tailgate has the has an IDE power connection (from a PC) floating about inside lol.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    LOL Stevmo, you missed out 30 + accidents as standard. - to be fair because of the high demand they go through they are serviced twice as often, and undergo weekly/monthly visual checks.
    forgot about the accidents - funny watching programs like traffic cops and watching what abuse they get. Glad mine was only owned by a police officer not used as a police car

Thanks
    Mine's got evidence of a new rear wing and floor pan, the chassis has a 1/8" twist in it and a badly hung rear bumper. The front bumper has been replaced too.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information