Join Today
    bored of thinking!!

Thanks

help please ive got a big problem

hi, yeasterday when i slowed down for a crossing my 96 t5 started to rev by itself, then when i switched it off and started it again it revved right up to 4,000 so i switched it off again then it refused to start. I unplugged the tps and plugged back in and it started. so i cleaned the throttle body and the tps and it seemed ok till now it just seems to rev up a little inbetween gear changes, still refuses to start unless you leave it ten mins. The temp gauge moves on ignition to the low mark but does not raise even though the pipes are hot and the boost is working as it should.

once i got it running just now it started revving its mind off i unplugged the idle standalization valve and the revs went back to normal.

has anyone had this before, its dangerous to drive if the revs fly up because they dont go down.

please help

thank you in advance

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    If you unplugged the idle control valve and the car went back to normal id say its thats causing the problem

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    well its running again and starting fine, my mechanic mate can round to drop me some wheels off so he had a fiddle, took about an hour, he removed the tps plug, isv plug temp sender plug cam and crank shaft sensor plugs and kept playing and nothing other than the temp gauge started working. then suddenly it started fine and drove fine?????
    neather of has a clue what righted it, so i think a googling night is in order, and just ordered a haynes manual haha!!

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    The idle control valve can stick with all the crud that goes through it, had the same on my old 940, quick clean with a rag and some wd40 sorted it.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Definitely sounds IAC valve related. It's then only device that can pass air past the throttle butterfly and cause the revs to increase.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    had that off today, its clean and working as it should, cars now dead sat in the paint booth at work lol, i got myself a micra curtsy car hahaha!
    i think im going to go for a throttle posision sensor. but any more ideas are more than welcome as i wont have the micra tommoz.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I gave up trying to get my IAC valve to behave. Instead I put drilled a plug to fit inside the IAC pipework that restricted the airflow. My IAC valve had a tendency to stick between gear changes, I first removed the IAC and drilled the plug to give a fast tick over then refitted the valve. Now the valve just fine tunes the idle, the plug drops the revs to about 1200 rpm and the valve drops it to 800, no more high revving gearchanges.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    well ive done well got my temp sensor tps and thermostat, and to do the coolent sensor couldnt get the top of the termo housing and ending up snapping the whole housing off the block, no one seems to stock a housing any idea's other than main stealer?

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Someone will have a spare lying around mate, put a wanted ad up
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    got one off ebay today should be here friday, just got to order the new gaskets and bolts for stealers tommoz, so i bladdy hope that the coolent sensor has been the cause of these problems haha

Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks
    Have you tried rufe for your parts? I get all my parts from them and their really good.

bored of thinking!!

Thanks
    who's that? ive got it all sorted now it was the coolent temp sensor. but it would be nice to know for future reffrence

cheers

This user has no status

Thanks
    Rufe is a guy on here who owns ( or works in I cant remember ) a Volvo dealers, he does a good deal for members on parts.

Thread Information