Join Today
    Lashing it up with binding
    twine.
    Thanks

Big oil leak, rear main seal?

My car is leaking to the point where it cant be left any longer, had a good look myself and just cant work out where its coming from. Theres oil everywhere underneath and even after cleaning it doesnt take long for it to appear on the floor, all of the sump gets covered as does the power steering rack and all around the bottom of the gearbox. The turbo oil feed is dry, the clutch doesnt slip and what i can see of it the flywheel is also dry and the power steering rack doesnt loss oil.

Its going to the garage this week so they can have a look but does anyone on here have any suggestions.

What should i expect to pay for the rear main seal to be changed if this is the problem and what else should i have done whilst its all apart?

Thanks. Simon.

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    If the rear seals gone you get oil dripping out of the bottom of the bell housing,

It could be the drive shaft oil seal.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

3. The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

Saaamon (Monday 8th April 2013)

twine.
    Thanks
    I did think something like aswell. I read on here that with the rear main seal the oil drips out the bottom through the little hole, i wouldnt have thought it would spread as much if this was the case.

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    It gets everywhere, my seal went and let's just say I will never need to underseal my car again

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nealevo For This Useful Post:

Be safe and keep it in your
    pants!

Thanks
    I thought my RMS went, took it to Tim Williams who quickly diagnosed it as a poorly fitted cam oil seal, check for oil on top of the gearbox! Did not look like alot of oil was leaking but after I haven't really had to top up where as before I was topping up loads.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sartain87 For This Useful Post:

twine.
    Thanks
    There is oil up the top of the engine around the cam shaft dizzy cap side, will have a further look at that. Is there anyone in essex/cambs thats is good with volvos? Been to RT's before but he's to far away really.

pants!

Thanks
    I'd take it out and check mate, it literally takes 5minutes and will be another thing to tick off the list, as RMS is a big job and may aswell change clutch etc so all adds up cost wise

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sartain87 For This Useful Post:

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Could be turbo return leaking to mate

13. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

twine.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sartain87 View Post
    I'd take it out and check mate, it literally takes 5minutes and will be another thing to tick off the list, as RMS is a big job and may aswell change clutch etc so all adds up cost wise
    I thought it was quite involved to change cam seals, is it fairly obvious how it all comes apart then? Could you give some brief pointers? Thanks.

@merc85, for what its worth i should change the oil feed seals. I took it to my mates garage and had a look under it with them and they were abit to quick to acuse the rear main as the problem in my opinion, its to big a job to just take a chance with, will see what the other garage says but think i'll change these parts you lot have pointed out first.

pants!

Thanks

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sartain87 For This Useful Post:

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    If you have oil on the os drive shaft inner gaiter, you have a front cam seal failure, simply take the front cover off the cambelt and if you have a front cam seal failure it will be very clear.

Same at the rear, Take off the Cam position sensor and have a look behind it, it will be clear if the rear cam seal has gone.
    Also the same with the distributor cap, take that off and the rotor arm and have a look.

Rear main quite correctly you will have oil coming out of the underside of the inspection hole.
    Rear turbo return seal the oil P***s out everywhere all over the back of the lump.

If you have cam seal failure has the PCV system been done?? as its usually excess crankcase pressure that blows these seals.

The turbo return is a very very easy job and doesnt take long at all, also the same with the rear cam seals, But the front you will have to remove the cam sprockets and belt.

Rear MAIN seal is a Gearbox off job im afraid. Get the Seal from Volvo to as its cheaper than a good aftermarkt one.

Hope the above helps

18. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yeah I had oil §§§§ing out of my return feed, probably lost 1.5 litre on the voyage home after buying her, soon fixed by the lads at p.w volvo when they did the pcv.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Nifton For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Monday 8th April 2013)

twine.
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for that, will order the cam seals and turbo seals and fit at the weekend. Fingers crossed that will be problem solved!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Saaamon For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Monday 8th April 2013)

Thread Information