Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    non working V70 Mark 2
    Thanks

Found this - makes sense doing it then?

Horsepower You Can Feel
    As with all K&N kits, when you bolt-on a 57i intake, you will notice the difference the next time you drive your Volvo V70. K&N 57i Gen I Intake Kits are a great way and in many cases the only way to maximize airflow and engine performance. They will replace the factory air box providing both High-Flow air filter technology and a larger air filter size. This winning combination will increase horsepower and sound great too.
    Break Out of The Factory Air Box57i Series Intake Kits are specifically designed for each different vehicle and will free your V70 from the size restriction that comes with the factory air box. These economical kits can take a variety of different forms based on vehicle characteristics and available space under the hood. Each kit is designed to provide power throughout the RPM range. Gen I’s take advantage of the added airflow provided by an oversized air filter released from the restrictive factory air box..
    These kits bring engine airflow out of the factory box by providing a large size open-air conical or round High-Flow Air Filter. The extra surface area of these open-air air filters provide even more airflow at lower restriction than a K&N O/E replacement filter which is always limited to the size of the factory air box. The larger air filter also captures and holds more dirt increasing its service life before a cleaning is required (up to 100,000 miles). The filter is then either directly attached to the engine carburetor or throttle body or indirectly through a tube assembly running from the filter to the engine. All adaptors are made from high quality materials such as steel, aluminum, silicon or reinforced nylon and ensure long life.
    Application Summary:
    1997-1999 Volvo V70 2.3L L5 F/I All
    Features:
    Designed to Increase HP and Acceleration of your vehicle
    Engineered to Specific Vehicle Design
    Easy to Install, Usually in 90 minutes or less!
    Lasts up to 100,000 Miles Before Service is Required (depending on driving conditions)
    Million Mile Limited Warranty
    Replaces OEM Filter and Air Box
    Air Filter is Washable and Reusable
    Works with Original Equipment Manufacturer Computer Systems
    Street legal in most states
    Note: 57i Intakes are not legal for use in California and other US States adopting California emission standards.
    Additional Information:
    Type: Gen I
    Helpful Links:
    Installation Sheet
    Fitment:
    These K&N 57i Air Induction Kits are designed for the following vehicle:
    1997 Volvo V70
    1998 Volvo V70
    1999 Volvo V70
    Note: This part may also fit other vehicles, please use the search by vehicle tool located top right side of this page to search for parts that fit your vehicle

I was going not to do it in case of problems with the maf sensor.
    The 2.5 se non turbo has already 167k on it, so first I thought I'll do it as it sounded great on my last car.
    Then, I seen loads post with tunned cars where the maf sensor packet up.
    So, I stopt of thinking about, but still had it in my mind all the way along.

Which of you did it and is it giving any problems with the maf sensor or other engine related issus?

It is a 2.5 20 valve autobox phase 1. Non turbo, pre me.

Anything I need to know about where or how to proper install it, or what cone Airfilter I need to use, should use, and maybe any other Important informations I would need for doing this modification.

I'll seem loads of them Airfilter cone systems for sale, shops ebay, etc, would it matter what system to use as well, or what size cone I need. On my last car, 6cylinder Honda engine I had a standard cheap one with a massive cone on.
    The only thing I had to do was making the room to suck cold air in, as it was original located behind the lightcluster and would not get airflow from driving without a special made airflow from the front of the car.

Is this the same on the v70 as the box is located behind the light as well?
    Using a scoop or build a airflow suction system from the front (next to the foglight or so ) to ensure air intake guarantee to the cone filter?
    Seen a modification where someone cut the wheelarche out to give the cone Filt fresh air intake, but the prop,em was on puddles as it would splash water on it.

So with the uk specs water problems I rather would use a scoop on top of the bonnet to
    Thanks guys.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Sorry, that was much to hard to read, but best advice is sell your car and buy a T5.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

3. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

iancho (Monday 8th April 2013)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    the only reason the MAF's pack up after fitting a cone filter is because of excess oil on them, even a new filter it wouldn't hurt to give it a good rinse under the tap & let it dry naturally (& DON'T RE-OIL IT)

personally i had a K&N 57i on my 854 T-5, & noticed a bigger improvement when i swopped that to a Pipercross cone filter

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

iancho (Monday 8th April 2013),v70tom (Thursday 11th April 2013)

non working V70 Mark 2
    Thanks
    I had a standart cheap cone filter on the Honda v6 engine.
    It was a big thing but nothing special.
    It improved the engine performance.
    But I never had problems with oil or even put oil on.
    Why oil ?
    That's new to me. I run this one like it came out the package. Just remove the original air box,
    Put extensions on and filter. That's all it was.
    Is there something else out ?

And, yes I would like a t5 but is older and I like the painted bumpers, doorhandles and front on he v70phase 1.
    I have a t5 down the road and the front looks compare to kind a bit outdated and plumb.
    Sorry, no offence.
    With the painted parts and the more modern front bumper a t5 would look great in my opinion.

But I stick to my v70 as I spend quiet a bit in it and don't like to loose out on it, althought start
    Again with spending on another car and have all the work until, it's done as I want it.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    I ment a V70 T5
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by v70tom View Post
    I had a standart cheap cone filter on the Honda v6 engine.
    It was a big thing but nothing special.
    It improved the engine performance.
    But I never had problems with oil or even put oil on.
    Why oil ?
    That's new to me. I run this one like it came out the package. Just remove the original air box,
    Put extensions on and filter. That's all it was.
    Is there something else out ?

And, yes I would like a t5 but is older and I like the painted bumpers, doorhandles and front on he v70phase 1.
    I have a t5 down the road and the front looks compare to kind a bit outdated and plumb.
    Sorry, no offence.
    With the painted parts and the more modern front bumper a t5 would look great in my opinion.

But I stick to my v70 as I spend quiet a bit in it and don't like to loose out on it, althought start
    Again with spending on another car and have all the work until, it's done as I want it.
    Most of the cone filters or free flowing filter elements use a cotton gauze. The cotton itself doesn't do the filtering but is there as an agent to hold oil that you spray onto it which is what traps and holds the dirt. Like Pedro says usually MAF problems happen because the filter is over-oiled and the oil gets onto the the MAF which it doesn't like !
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Monday 8th April 2013)

non working V70 Mark 2
    Thanks
    It would be a standart cone filter without any oil in or on it.
    Just paper cone.
    Tis should be ok then?
    Did not know you can have them with oil. Lol

non working V70 Mark 2
    Thanks
    Would like one but too expensive for what you get.
    And, did all the work on mine so I wouldn't get the money back if I selling it.
    Misses don't want home as it is too big for her. Lol

non working V70 Mark 2
    Thanks
    The plan was to remove the box right where it is attached. So leave the maf and the stubby attachment for the box.
    From there get the cone filter straight on.
    To get enough outside air, using the original channel for the airbox to feed air from the front of the car, and additional over a scoop form top of the bonnet with a channel build under the bonnet to bring the air from the hole inside the engine bay back to the front on top of the Airfilter cone.
    This should avoid the Airfilter suck the hot air produced by the engine inside the bay.
    At least in theory.

That's right ? or do I miss something?

I know is not a turbo but if it helps and makes the performance of the 170bhp engine better ill go for it.
    Not many people would know what's under the bonnet, so I am not so bothered.
    Aim quiet happy with the 170 bhp for the roads I using anyway.

F&r speed I always have the gsxf.lol

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Pulling warm air from the engine bay makes no difference to normal driving, even with a turbo. It's only if you're racing the car and spend a while parked with the engine running, waiting to go on track you'll get "heat soak" which will clear pretty quickly once you're moving.

Furthermore, it's been proven, albeit with some degree of controversy, that performance filters and induction kits offer little or no performance increase at all and in some cases, actually hold the engine back slightly.

The best thing you get from a free flowing filter is the noise. On 5-pot cars it's a very nice noise too Take the insulation mat from the inside of your bonnet for even more noise
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

v70tom (Thursday 11th April 2013)

non working V70 Mark 2
    Thanks
    Ok. Thanks. No need for hole in bonnet for cold air flow.
    Just the cone on and that's it.

Thanks
    It's all I've got...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You have a cold air feed to the standard air box any way so just utilise that as your cone will sit in the same place as the removed airbox!

Tony.

cut n blow dry,perms,and tinting prices on request!

non working V70 Mark 2
    Thanks
    That's cool. Ok. I'll do that then.thanks

non working V70 Mark 2
    Thanks
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  278.6 KB

Ok, just quick - if I remove the air box ( red marked ) after the sensor before the box,
    Where it is mounted together, that's where the cone can go without problem I assume.

What about the pipe ( marked with blue arrow ) a this pipe is connected to the air box at the bottom.
    Do I need to reconnect this somewhere else, what function is it for, or can I just leave it hanging lose without any affect on heating, air an or engine ?

Thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorry Tom mines ME7 and piped different to yours someone will advise you soon mate.

Tony.

cut n blow dry,perms,and tinting prices on request!

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Best thing to do is to just take the top off the airbox, put your cone on the end of the pipe (the big one with the sensor) and sit it in the bottom half of your airbox, that way you've still got a cold feed to it and the rest of the plumbing can stay as it is.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat For This Useful Post:

jotter22 (Thursday 11th April 2013)

happy
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Best thing to do is to just take the top off the airbox, put your cone on the end of the pipe (the big one with the sensor) and sit it in the bottom half of your airbox, that way you've still got a cold feed to it and the rest of the plumbing can stay as it is.
    ^^^what he said^^^
    Old Cars: Mazda6, Laguna 2.2, S40 T4, Passat 1.8t, Celica GT4, Legacy GTB, Golf VR6, S70 2.5t, C70 T5
    Current Car:850t5

24. The Following User Says Thank You to shepbomb For This Useful Post:

Tomcat (Thursday 11th April 2013)

Thanks
    The pipe marked in blue is a hot air feed from the exhause manifold area. Not sure why modern cars still do this as you may as well throw it in the bin lol.
    Rip the maf housing out of the airbox lid, ram the filter on the end and rest it in the lower half of the airbox et viola! job's a goodun

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

26. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Tomcat (Thursday 11th April 2013)

non working V70 Mark 2
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    The pipe marked in blue is a hot air feed from the exhause manifold area. Not sure why modern cars still do this as you may as well throw it in the bin lol.
    Rip the maf housing out of the airbox lid, ram the filter on the end and rest it in the lower half of the airbox et viola! job's a goodun
    Rip it out?
    Erh? Could you please explain what you exactly mean by hat? Lol
    Is there no need for on the pre me engine or is not a good idea leave it on while using a cone filter?

I would just leave it where it is as it sits on the pipe where the box attached to.
    Leave the bottom of the air box sounds ok, but I need to cut the box out to fit the filter, otherwise
    I have to get he scoop on as the filter would sit on top of the box and the bonnet has a conflict with it by closing it.
    ( at least so far I could tell while I tryd it last night without actually doing it about darkness.
    Just put it on and it don't go inside the box.
    May just cut the ox. Is only 1 or 2 cm I guess.)

I'll try tomorrow with more time and daylight. Thanks guys.

Looks like I looking soon for a t5 lol.

Thread Information