Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks

why does brown smoke come out me exhaust??

as per title,im having some running issues at the mo and working on various aspects but i had my mate follow me home today and he said i had a brownish smoke come from the exhaust!! i asked if it was when i floored it and he said..........how would i know im not in the car lmao but that just shows how lack my power is anyways brown smoke,what does that mean??

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    that the car has shat itself lol

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

smithson007 (Friday 5th April 2013),theflyingbrick (Thursday 4th April 2013)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    i dont think your car is down on power at all lee, i think its in your head, you're not running alot of boost

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    i dont think your car is down on power at all lee, i think its in your head, you're not running alot of boost
    you might be right regarding power but its definatly not running right mate,today it had no poke in 1st n 2nd but when crazy in third so there something a miss and im thinking the brown smoke has something to do with it?? i think its running really lean or really rich,im gonna jam a co2 rod up it tomorrow and find out.........hopefully!!

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theflyingbrick View Post
    you might be right regarding power but its definatly not running right mate,today it had no poke in 1st n 2nd but when crazy in third so there something a miss and im thinking the brown smoke has something to do with it?? i think its running really lean or really rich,im gonna jam a co2 rod up it tomorrow and find out.........hopefully!!
    whip a plug out it will tell you whether its rich or lean

7. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

theflyingbrick (Thursday 4th April 2013)

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    its in the process of being stripped down (thanks dad hahaha) coz i found an oil leak,think its the return pipe from the turbo but ill get a plus out and check,i might put some whites in aswell coz i dont think it likes the blues!!

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theflyingbrick View Post
    its in the process of being stripped down (thanks dad hahaha) coz i found an oil leak,think its the return pipe from the turbo but ill get a plus out and check,i might put some whites in aswell coz i dont think it likes the blues!!
    whites and blues are exactly the same on an 850 mate

10. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

theflyingbrick (Thursday 4th April 2013)

boooooooooooooooooooooooost
    Thanks
    Alright lee. Might be worth checking your breather system mate?!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mongo For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Thursday 4th April 2013),theflyingbrick (Thursday 4th April 2013)

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Alright lee. Might be worth checking your breather system mate?!
    yeah good point mate,completely forgot about the pcv

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Extra boost, extra crankcase pressure Hummmmm, Doh....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

theflyingbrick (Friday 5th April 2013)

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    In answer to thread title, perhaps there's a dog turd stuck up the exhaust!

Sorry, and on a more serious note I'm thinking maybe leaking valves so the car is burning oil?

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    In answer to thread title, perhaps there's a dog turd stuck up the exhaust!

Sorry, and on a more serious note I'm thinking maybe leaking valves so the car is burning oil?
    ive just logged on to give an update and your spot on...sort of...i think...basically i was gonna check the pcv system so started taking the inlet manifold off,naturally i undone the top bolts first but as i did it fell off!! so the there where no bolts on the underside at all!! i was quite happy tbh as i thought this could be the cause of all my concerns and running issues coz the mani wouldnt of been seated properly and i would of had one hell of a vaccum leak...hoorah...but when i looked at the valves from where the mani was they were quite brown,i was thinking that maybe it was the leak causing that...but now youve said leaky valves im not so sure

and yes it is using oil but it also had one hell of a leak there aswell....the dipstick wasnt in properly!! and the turbo return pipe was the same but again based on your comments im unsure if was that and now got leaking valves

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you find the handling is a bit off its probably a wheel come off.....lol you better spend a few days checking your nuts are tight enough!

Tony.

cut n blow dry,perms,and tinting prices on request!

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jotter22 View Post
    If you find the handling is a bit off its probably a wheel come off.....lol you better spend a few days checking your nuts are tight enough!

Tony.
    yep thats the plan for the weekend,couple of days tinkering making sure everythings ship shape but im more concerned about the vlaves now,do you think if the mani was leaking that bad it would cause the valves to brown up?? it would also explain why my boost gauge doesnt register any vacuum on idle aswell i suppose??

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    If you suspect the valves, then do a compression test, I'm sure someone will have the figures of what it's supposed to be. As regards to the boost guage not reading vacuum, I had the same problem when I fitted my boost guage, turned out there was a hole in the recirc valve hose, so check all your vac hoses as well.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    If you suspect the valves, then do a compression test, I'm sure someone will have the figures of what it's supposed to be. As regards to the boost guage not reading vacuum, I had the same problem when I fitted my boost guage, turned out there was a hole in the recirc valve hose, so check all your vac hoses as well.
    thanks but ive just replaced all the vacuum hoses for errrm *ahem* pink silicone ones!!

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Leaking intake manifold would cause a very large intake leak runing lean and flaging a lambda light up id have thought. It would certainly cause you to loose boost,, can you boost more than 15psi?

Brown valves, could be loads of different things, Could be a leaking valve stem seals, a cracked piston ring tho usually youd see loads of blue smoke especialy on idle. Compression test is certainly the route to go. Acurate test is do it when the engine is warm but can be done when cold but the readings will be lower.

13 bar i belive is what it should be. the main thing is the reading high or low should be even across all cylinder's if 1 or more is lower than the others thats where your problem lays

24. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    thanks gav,yes it does run higher boost,well,it goes up then straight back down!! and theres no smoke on idle or normal driving just brown smoke on wot,ive just ordered a compression tester so hopefully it arrives sooner rather than later....although im not looking forward to doing the test if its knackered im not sure ive got the energy to repair her!! but fingers crossed its just the mother of all vac leaks!! but the brown smoke sort of points elsewhere doesnt it

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Certainly sound like a vacum leak, mani would deffo do that, Have you tried to disconnect the vac line to the actuator? to see if it can maintain boost? be carefull not to floor it and over boost!! if it cant boost and mantain it its for sure a large vacum leak or weak actuator on the turbo.

The Brown stuff on the valves sounds like valve stem seals to me, as it would certainly be worse of it was a worn engine.

Valve stem seals are a pitta to do tbh. let me know if you need some new ones.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    i think its defo got a vac leak it would explain the performance side of things thats for sure,but i only discovered the brown ness whilst taking the inlet mani off and said to my dad them valves look a bit brown.............to which he said............oh thats why your getting brown smoke coming out the exhaust so i think its a combo of a few things..........ill sort the inlet mani first,wait for the tester to arrive,then make a decision from there !!

Thread Information