Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

general 940 help

hi looking abit help and info on my 940. its a 2.3 lpt and im new to volvo so bare with me if they are newbie questions

first one is ive noticed my crankshaft pulley seems to be vibrating/wobbling could this be cured with a new pulley or is there a crank problem?

secondly whats the valve with a vacuum pipe coming of it near the bulk head sort of behind the inlet and towards passenger side a bit? noticed it was unplugged but when its is theres quite a bit of blue smoke.

lastly ive heard there is something called a vpc and to clean it out, what/where is this and how do clean it out ?

thanks
    jonny

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    The crank pulley bolt could be loose.

Not sure on the valve, smithy would be the best to ask.

The PCV is usually on the Volvo 850 and newer. The 940 does have a crankcase ventilation system, theres a tank underneath the inlet manifold on the block which can get clogged and the attached pipework. Might be worth a clean.

Get yourself a haynes manual off ebay as most of the stuff is in there, probably the best place to start.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    thanks bomb192uk

found the tank underneath the inlet, next weekend ill have to get it of and clean it and pipes out. the valve i was asking about it seems to be going into the tank via a hose

the crank pulley i checked the bolt and its tight. any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated. tho it will be going to mechanic once he can get time to look at it.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The pulley problem may be that it's a 'harmonic balanced' pulley which basically means that the outer part of the pulley (that the belt runs on) is separated from the inner part (which is bolted the crank) by a sandwich layer of rubber. Over time the rubber breaks down or tears out completely causing the wobble.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Monday 8th April 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    thanks nobananas. can it be be bought from a motor factors? i went in today and asked my local fyfes and they said nothing was listened for crank pulley. what should i be asking for when looking for this balanced outer part and rubber?

ill take a we look at it to morrow night and see if i can see any rubber. may even take a picture of it

Thread Information