Join Today
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts

Damien - The resurrection

So Damien has been locked away for 1 year unused and ignored, other than the occasional battery recharge and push about so it didn’t flat spot my tyres. As I said last year Damien would be coming back in 2013 and here we are in 2013 what’s going on?

Well on March 2nd I had the car transported down to RT’s where at some point this coming month the engine will be removed stripped and the cause of the engine noise will be found, expecting it to be a bent rod and then the fault rectified.
    Plans are to refresh and rebuild the engine using new genuine Volvo parts wherever possible, fitting H Beam rods, new shells, new rings and a hone etc etc, maybe new pistons although will wait to see what the existing ones are like. Tbh I’d like to keep with the standard ones if possible, Not looking at any substantial power hikes, before the engine noise I was quite content with the power and the engine ran well, however I am looking to have a few tweaks, be rude not too
    Having done some research into high powered auto’s I am also having a genuine Volvo auxiliary gearbox cooler fitted and switching to some upgraded gearbox oil, other than that and new seals the gearbox will remain as was. When the engine is out I will be cleaning the engine bay as this is something I did on my previous car and I have always wanted to do to the Volvo.
    There are a few goodies on their way from America and I have a few little bits already that are waiting to go on….
    Once the car is all back together, mot’d and taxed Mark Shead will be tweaking my map so it’s up to scratch. Then maybe another outing to a ¼ mile event to see if we can’t get it a little closer to some of the faster manual times, especially if I can see more than 1.1 bar in 1st and 2nd gears, which seems to be where it counts on the ¼, the auto’s only going into 3rd at the end which is where my higher boost previously started to kick in…

As the car progresses I will add the updates here but I expect it to be a couple of months until I have the car back on the road ready, I also plan to drive it to the Ring this year and after last years trip as a passenger I am really looking forward to that
    In the meantime this is how the car looked just before it came out the garage ready to be loaded on the trailer, even in the garage it can’t escape the dust, almost a barn find! Lol

Odd how it doesn’t look that bad from a distance

But up close?

On the trailer, just, about to head off…

Arrived at RT’s and waiting surgery next to a T5 which is also having a bit of an overhaul…

I’m going for a different look in the engine bay as well so these will be gracing the bay once it’s all back together 

That’s it for now, nothing to exciting yet but that’s where we are at as of now, thanks for reading and as always comments are welcomed. 

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

hillsidesteve (Sunday 31st March 2013),iancho (Monday 1st April 2013),JT (Sunday 31st March 2013),martybelfastt5 (Monday 1st April 2013),merc85 (Sunday 31st March 2013),MoleT-5R (Sunday 31st March 2013),RollingThunder (Wednesday 14th May 2014),The Flying Moose (Sunday 31st March 2013),theflyingbrick (Sunday 31st March 2013),timbo (Thursday 18th April 2013),Wobbly Dave (Sunday 31st March 2013)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Welcome back mate we have missed you and with the rods etc turn the boost up to 1.4 bar constant should be dam quick .

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Great to see your car again Andy, yours has to be one of my all time favourite cars on here. Are the engine covers just wrapped?, looking forward to reading the progress on this.
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Reading with interest Andy, I've just done a manual conversion on mine with help from a few members, glad you're back in the game, I always loved your sig pic as inspiration how a Volvo should look..

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    cool, glad you're getting it all sorted mate

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    Welcome back mate we have missed you and with the rods etc turn the boost up to 1.4 bar constant should be dam quick .
    Thanks Smithy, want to be careful with he box but we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    Great to see your car again Andy, yours has to be one of my all time favourite cars on here. Are the engine covers just wrapped?, looking forward to reading the progress on this.
    Thanks Craig, that's very kind. Think your splitter helps with that look, had to take it off for transport reasons but it will be going back on
    Trims are Hydro treated. A friend from my Ford past started a business and does a bit for the Ford clubs etc and I asked him if wouldn't mind doing some parts for my Volvo, obviously not carbon fibre quality but not far off and a damn sight cheaper, but a lot better than wrapping and will last longer in the engine bay environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealevo View Post
    Reading with interest Andy, I've just done a manual conversion on mine with help from a few members, glad you're back in the game, I always loved your sig pic as inspiration how a Volvo should look..
    Thanks Neal, tbh despite being really busy I have missed the scene and pleased to be getting back onboard again, not to mention looking forward to drivng my 850 again. What made you convert, just fancied manual or did the box give up? I've always found this forum to be one of the most helpful I have come across with a great collection of members who will help others at the drop of a hat..

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Hello stranger!

Nice to see your car on the road to recovery
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Hello stranger!

Nice to see your car on the road to recovery
    Afternoon Look forward to catching up, planning to make it to a few of the meets later in the year

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    see you still have that sig lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5frankie View Post
    see you still have that sig lol
    Never a truer word spoken on here than in that sig... lol

I was considering the removal but I think I'll just leave it up for a few more days for old times sakes

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Never a truer word spoken on here than in that sig... lol

I was considering the removal but I think I'll just leave it up for a few more days for old times sakes
    lol i still have my standard top mount and standard exhaust on my 850r, loving the quiet power.......

HAPPY DAYS

Thanks
    Nice one Andy, looks like a beast! I would very much be up for a Ring trip....I planned to do it a few years back on a Euro trip to Italy, but got stuck in Cologne for a day too long (very good nightlife!!!), so had to skip it unfortuately

Anyway, good luck with the next phase of your project!

WHY DOESN'T MY SIGNATURE WORK??? ...IT DOES NOW! :-)

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Glad u fixing the car mate and she deffo deserves it as is the best 850R I`ve seen so far.I have an auto too and was gonna ask if u had an oil cooler fitted but doesn`t look like u had.The way your car performed last year mad me think about autos.

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    lol i still have my standard top mount and standard exhaust on my 850r, loving the quiet power.......

You have your white pants on then frankie? looks good

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsford G View Post
    You have your white pants on then frankie? looks good
    thats not the most current photo but its dirty at the minute so ill do another at some other point

17. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

Kingsford G (Sunday 31st March 2013)

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post

Thanks Neal, tbh despite being really busy I have missed the scene and pleased to be getting back onboard agkain, not to mention looking forward to drivng my 850 again. What made you convert, just fancied manual or did the box give up? I've always found this forum to be one of the most helpful I have come across with a great collection of members who will help others at the drop of a hat..
    My auto was still perfect and ran beautifully, I went to TRAX last year and an auto wasn't suited for track work so decided to fit a manual as it will be more fun, and it will enhance any future mods, good luck with the build, and enjoy 'The Ring' now you have been once you will want to do it again and again. Next time you go give me a shout and I might be able to get you some jaguar hospitality

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Well still andy that car of your is just truly stunning, Cant wait to see it again, and perhap another ride, At least we wont be able to bend any rods this time

Awesome mate and inspiring

This user has no status

Thanks

For now

Quote Originally Posted by MA'R'K View Post
    Nice one Andy, looks like a beast! I would very much be up for a Ring trip....I planned to do it a few years back on a Euro trip to Italy, but got stuck in Cologne for a day too long (very good nightlife!!!), so had to skip it unfortuately

Anyway, good luck with the next phase of your project!
    Thanks Mark, the company made the trip as much as the locaton and for that reason I will always do my upmost to attend, was very easily up there with the best of any holiday I've ever been on!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsford G View Post
    Glad u fixing the car mate and she deffo deserves it as is the best 850R I`ve seen so far.I have an auto too and was gonna ask if u had an oil cooler fitted but doesn`t look like u had.The way your car performed last year mad me think about autos.
    Thanks, see went a little too well last time... lol
    Cooler now going on at this stage

Quote Originally Posted by Nealevo View Post
    My auto was still perfect and ran beautifully, I went to TRAX last year and an auto wasn't suited for track work so decided to fit a manual as it will be more fun, and it will enhance any future mods, good luck with the build, and enjoy 'The Ring' now you have been once you will want to do it again and again. Next time you go give me a shout and I might be able to get you some jaguar hospitality
    Fair play, tbh for fast driving around the track a manual is always going to be the better option, must confess I like the lazyness of the auto, must be getting old! lol
    Thanks for the offer with the hospitatlity tickets, will let you know when we go

Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    Well still andy that car of your is just truly stunning, Cant wait to see it again, and perhap another ride, At least we wont be able to bend any rods this time

Awesome mate and inspiring
    This is very true, anyway it wasn't your fault the rod went it didn't help I fitted that free flowing intake pipe and then didn't get the boost levels rechecked.. Live and learn
    But bigger and better now

21. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 31st March 2013)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Be interesting to see the progress of this. BTW in the pick of your car on the trailer, you've hidden the Navarra's registration, but left it visible on the trailer lol, and the saffy's reg is shown in reflection on one of your other pics.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Sunday 31st March 2013)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    Be interesting to see the progress of this. BTW in the pick of your car on the trailer, you've hidden the Navarra's registration, but left it visible on the trailer lol, and the saffy's reg is shown in reflection on one of your other pics.
    "Stribo" the new phantom Reg spotter pmsl

Thread Information